Source Music I can't get out of my head

They're one and the same.

Yes and no. A lot of the material from "Ballet for Martha" carried over, but some sections were cut, and of course the orchestration went from 13 to full orchestra. Very similar, but there are differences. Like how SCV 2009's drum solo is music from the original ballet that doesn't appear anywhere in the Appalachian Spring Suite.

7. Shenandoah - Troopers. I played this piece in concert band in high school. Probably one of my favorite pieces to play even now. Interested to see how it translates onto the football field!

That piece was a staple color presentation going back to the 60's and 70's. I think the first corps I heard perform it was the 27th Lancers around 68/69, and the great Argonne Rebels hornline in 71. Troopers have done it a number of times too. I hope it works as well for the Troopers this year as it has in the past; it is a beautiful tune.

• Like 1

Old Toys, Las Strada, and Be Italian all played by the Devs. Looking forward to seeing what Scott does with Be Italian.

It's "nice." A little too long in the development (if taken literally, it constitutes a quarter of the show)....and that's not accounting for the eventual build which would be necessary to make it complete. All-in-all....nice...but that's as far as I'll go (please excuse my insouciance).

Edited by HornTeacher

Yes and no. A lot of the material from "Ballet for Martha" carried over, but some sections were cut, and of course the orchestration went from 13 to full orchestra. Very similar, but there are differences. Like how SCV 2009's drum solo is music from the original ballet that doesn't appear anywhere in the Appalachian Spring Suite.

T'was still titled Appalachian Spring at the premiere (even if it got that name just days before it premiered). Anyone calling the Suite the only one that should be called "Appalachian Spring" should be taken behind the woodshed (Apologies, I have a slight obsession...) SCV chose to use the title Copland originally titled it in place of an actual title. But at the premiere of the original ballet, at the Library of Congress, it was titled Appalachian Spring. I feel if you mean to refer to the suite, you add suite (unlike most people do).

Edited by MelloMatt

T'was still titled Appalachian Spring at the premiere (even if it got that name just days before it premiered). Anyone calling the Suite the only one that should be called "Appalachian Spring" should be taken behind the woodshed (Apologies, I have a slight obsession...) SCV chose to use the title Copland originally titled it in place of an actual title. But at the premiere of the original ballet, at the Library of Congress, it was titled Appalachian Spring. I feel if you mean to refer to the suite, you add suite (unlike most people do).

I have to disagree with your statement. Copland wrote "Ballet for Martha." Martha Graham appended the title Appalachain Spring to the ballet, not Copland (in fact, he had nothing to do with the title). He titled the suite "Appalachain Spring Suite" when he orchestrated it, but that was not the music SCV used. We're mincing words at this point, but SCV played "Ballet for Martha."

I have to disagree with your statement. Copland wrote "Ballet for Martha." Martha Graham appended the title Appalachain Spring to the ballet, not Copland (in fact, he had nothing to do with the title). He titled the suite "Appalachain Spring Suite" when he orchestrated it, but that was not the music SCV used. We're mincing words at this point, but SCV played "Ballet for Martha."

I never said Copland titled it that? I just said it was titled Appalachian Spring at the premiere of the original Ballet.