Engagement with the past?

Its not confined to Drum Corps, Many of the young US students today come thru the public schools in which their history is so lacking that they are either misinformed or they possess such little knowledge of the US Constitution and their Bill of Rights. Such poor understanding of what the Founding Fathers provided to them as fundamental rights that they can potentially become future targets for Government Ruling Class manipulation and overreach on their Individual liberties passed down to them from bloodshed spilled to secure and later preserve these Individual Rights. Its appaling the lack of knowledge of Civics and History, imo. And a supposedly freedom loving nation is not served well with an uninformed or misinforrmed citizenry.

I'm not concerned that a few posters don't appreciate ' 88 Madison. I 'm MUCH more concerned if they( and others) don't appreciate or have never heard of James Madison.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

The guy on the right - it must be sad to be so young and already be losing your hair.

Anyway, a lot of insightful comments: "I like how they started out loud." Yes, loud good. "I don't think they knew about performing back then." Yeah that bad azz vibe just happened, it had nothing to do about performing. And my hands down favorite insight, "they're so bad at dancing." To which I'm pretty sure the collective response of the 1988 Madison Scouts is "thank you!"

• Like 1

The guy on the right - it must be sad to be so young and already be losing your hair.

Anyway, a lot of insightful comments: "I like how they started out loud." Yes, loud good. "I don't think they knew about performing back then." Yeah that bad azz vibe just happened, it had nothing to do about performing. And my hands down favorite insight, "they're so bad at dancing." To which I'm pretty sure the collective response of the 1988 Madison Scouts is "thank you!"

It must be sad to have developed a value system where you think that hair on your head is relevant to one's self worth.

Unless you were just taking a shallow jab at the kid. That's much more reasonable and mature.

• Like 5

Unless you were just taking a shallow jab at the kid. That's much more reasonable and mature.

Ya think?

.....they possess such little knowledge of the US Constitution and their Bill of Rights. Such poor understanding of what the Founding Fathers provided to them as fundamental rights that they can potentially become future targets for Government Ruling Class manipulation and overreach on their Individual liberties passed down to them from bloodshed spilled to secure .......

I'm more concerned by paranoid, delusional adults. :cool:

• Like 1

I'm more concerned by paranoid, delusional adults. :cool:

... and you should be... and we could add to that being eaually concerned with", paranoid, delusional "young people, imo. It is undeniable that there are a lot of mentally unbalanced people ( of all ages ) that are walking around now that years ago were confined to Institutions for the protection of both themselves and the public at large.

Edited by BRASSO

I've seen a few more of their videos a while back where they reviewed some more modern shows, and they were a lot more watchable than this particular video. I mean, I'm 20, so I may not have any place in this sort of argument for a while, but I like to think that I'm obsessed with the activity enough that I do proper research before giving any real opinions on a corps or show as a whole (however harsh and exaggerated my opinions might sometimes be).

That said, I think the problem with these guys is less their actual opinions and knowledge on older shows and more their ability to express their opinions like adults. A lot of their videos come down to "this is good/bad HAHA!", and I think they just don't understand how to critique something if you want anybody to value your opinion maybe? I mean, any opinion is valid if it can be backed and expressed well. Also, they've gotta learn to review something in the context of its respective decade. I think their worst offense was comparing a performance from 88 to something from 2012 and 13.

I've seen a few more of their videos a while back where they reviewed some more modern shows, and they were a lot more watchable than this particular video. I mean, I'm 20, so I may not have any place in this sort of argument for a while, but I like to think that I'm obsessed with the activity enough that I do proper research before giving any real opinions on a corps or show as a whole (however harsh and exaggerated my opinions might sometimes be).

That said, I think the problem with these guys is less their actual opinions and knowledge on older shows and more their ability to express their opinions like adults. A lot of their videos come down to "this is good/bad HAHA!", and I think they just don't understand how to critique something if you want anybody to value your opinion maybe? I mean, any opinion is valid if it can be backed and expressed well. Also, they've gotta learn to review something in the context of its respective decade. I think their worst offense was comparing a performance from 88 to something from 2012 and 13.

Believe me, there are plenty of things to make fun of in shows from 2012 and 13.

What I find interesting is that most of the stuff I hear about from older shows are mostly from the champions or second place corps. So many other shows that are different and may have aspects that fit in better today, or vice versa.

Those guys don't have a clue, but I wouldn't expect anything less than what they're doing.

Believe me, there are plenty of things to make fun of in shows from 2012 and 13.

What I find interesting is that most of the stuff I hear about from older shows are mostly from the champions or second place corps. So many other shows that are different and may have aspects that fit in better today, or vice versa.

Those guys don't have a clue, but I wouldn't expect anything less than what they're doing.

Yeah. If they were maybe nicer and more articulate I'd say it was all in good fun and they deserved to have their opinions heard if they wanted, but they clearly don't have any real desire to say anything relevant about drum corps of the past. They're just taking super general information about DCI history and injecting half-###ed opinions into it, which just doesn't do any good for anybody.

The problem with younger drumcorp fan is they only see it online. They have no idea what it was like to listen to drum corps back in the 70's or 80's. They didn't get to experience ay the SCV ending in 87 or BD's amazing brass line in 1988. Madison was smooth as silk in 88. They were on all cylinders.