Sunday's Crown performance

critique is cool. recycled complaints are not.

we've heard the "crown does the same show every year" comment on here for a long time.

the biggest similarity is that they're using brass band music specifically written for compeittions. that music does share certain characteristic: it's really freakin' hard to play! and it's WRITTEN to challenging to very good brass players.

so... yeah... it is a lot like last year. it's hard.

I disagree with George and found very little similar from 2012 to 2013.

I find 2014 to be a replica of 2013. And I'm not referring to brass band source material (though I'm referring to its use for the same effect in similar points in the show). The theme has similarities (around this time last year several were asking if spacesuits would be worn last year - in fact, the theme announcement didn't surprise me in the slightest). The opening has major similarities.

But obviously, you're right. Because you're a fan. Or something.

• Like 1

I thought it was just as fine as the Blue Devils.

So it's fine to have a bunch of stuff as long as it "goes with the show and makes sense?"

Same thing goes for Crown.

I think MOST of the props are crazy and over the top, but it is what it is.

...and we're going to be seeing a BUNCH more props and stuff on the field now. I've seen many of the shows and it's not just Crown and Blue Devils.

I totally support you having an opinion that is different than my opinion, it's just hypocrisy, imho.

It's not hypocrisy, what I am saying is they had to much on the field. I like Crown and they did good but the props for this year are not gettin it for me.

BD guard took their place? :poke:

it does appear the male guard is wearing dance belts. a big difference

and they can always take a hint from drag queens and use duck tape lol

Edited by eric49

My point is that they did not distract. It seems Crown is going crazy over props. All the props BD use are effective in what they are doing. When I saw Crown props for this year, I thought they were a distraction.

1930 had 40 chairs

Cabaret Voltaire was represented by hobby horses. And everything else they had was part of the Dada movement.

The 100 poles in Rite of Spring represented the 100th anniversary of Rite of Spring

The mirrors went well with the music from City of Glass

So when the corps used the hobby horses to put the rest of their uniforms on is wasn't distracting...... or was that part of the Dada movement is missed in art appreciation?

The problem I have with the way BD uses props is that much too of the program is spent moving them around. That is a big distraction IMO.

Edited by bluesman

It's not hypocrisy, what I am saying is they had to much on the field. I like Crown and they did good but the props for this year are not gettin it for me.

I can respect that you think they have too many things on the field.

I felt that way about other shows from other corps too.

They're not dumb and they'll put out a good product in the end, but there really is a point when "formula" becomes "the same thing" year to year and I think this is just another year where that's the case. This has been the case btw for the past several years with Crown.

Well, sure it is very early so things certainly may change. At this point, the show does not have the emotional resonance of last year's show and I think that it will be harder to build that kind of vibe with this program. No doubt that the technical mastery is amazing.

I really liked what I saw this evening. Looking forward to seeing what they will end up doing with the tramps. The drum solo was interesting but goes on for too long.

I'm a guy who love when Corps or bands use props but there is a limit on how much to use. You do not want to go overboard when using them. Crown just had to much on the field. Maybe if they take some of it off, it would be fine, but for right now, they went crazy with them. Good show and outstanding brass but they should tone it down with the props.