Sunday's Crown performance

Also, I REALLY dig that version of 'Space Oddity' at the very beginning. Is that a completely unique arrangement, or is there a cover of Bowie's original done by another band out there who originally did it? Also, I loved what Crown did with the 'lift off' sequence, and the awesome sound effects created both electronically and acoustically!

Side-story trivia about "Space Oddity:"

"Space Oddity" was released as a single the same summer that Apollo 11 landed on the moon. In the UK, the BBC used "Space Oddity" as the sort of unofficial theme of the lunar landing.

Besides the mumbo jumbo of the son (take your protein pills?!), I always thought that was crazy, especially since the song details how Major Tom kind of lost his mind, the something went wrong with the mission, and the song kind of ends with Major Tom never really seeing humans again. Seemed like the UK was really tempting fate using that song as its theme to the mission! I get that they were kind of capitalizing on a brilliant current signal, but still kind of goofy!!

Having watched a few hi-cam vids of the show, I agree.

I have a suspicion that (like last year and several other Crown shows) video is going to miss the show no matter how clever the camera work. True for the audio as well -- Crown's been expanding their use of sound in space. You need to be see and hear it live.

I definitely got the sense that there is no way I'm going to truly get/appreciate what they're doing sonically with this production from my living room computer. More than most DCI shows, I bet they are really doing cool/wild stuff with the acoustics, musical staging, etc. to get the space effect.

The one thing I hope occurs because of Crown, and earlier Cadets, is that more corps give to their fans in this way with a pre-season run-through of their production. Not only is it a nice way to build hype going into the season, but it's a brilliant 'commercial' for the Fan Network. I wonder how many people might've been on the fence with FN subscriptions and seeing this show, or Cadets enticed them to pull the trigger. I'd love for other corps to have the guts to put it out there a week or two before their first competition by putting the show out there for the fans!

Very cool, and I applaud DCI & Crown for this. I didn't know what to expect, but I don't think there would be multi-cam, or a big production out of the run through. Great efforts on DCI's part to get that all together, and very cool of Crown staffers to be accommodating!

• Like 1

For me (and likely most adjudicators), it's all about how effective the props are. A judge is not sitting there counting "stuff" on the field, and saying, "ooooh, 100 is 13 props too many sorry." DCI judges aren't like the MPAA counting eff-words in a PG-13 movie, or pelvic thrusts in an R-rated film. A gigantic house on the field is either effective or it isn't: 40 chairs either work or they don't. We'll see how trampolines & tons of percussion gear scattered on a field work for judges soon enough

...and as far as tons of percussion gear scattered on the field goes, Crown is not the only corps with that. The Cavaliers have a bunch of keyboards moving around the field almost the same way that BD is using tables.

I think it will really work to enhance the sounds, which none of us can judge without being there live.

After seeing the initial blueprint of the show. I dont think it will have the fire power towards the end of the season to repeat. The brass could 3 peat, but other than that, id say just another top 4 show.

Just curious...

Are we becoming so jaded that we can now say "just another top 4 show" like that is pedestrian and easy?

• Like 3

transitions need smoothed. drums better than allentown last year. field does look cluttered.

and it's June 15th. good start

I think you and I are a rare species. I personally don't like these unis very much either. And people like Brasso know how much of an advocate I was for Crown's 2013 unis. The blue they used seems too bright and adds to the noise of the already cluttered field. The purple pants looked so much better (and they definitely looked impressive in person too). Maybe they'll grow on me. I hope.

I'm with you ... I kind of hate these uniforms. I liked last years (although it did take a little while to grow on me, so maybe I'll change my mind about this year's. I don't see myself ever liking the guard uniforms Crown is using this year ... they are awful (especially on the guys).

Here is a riddle? Who is better at being Blue Devils than the Blue Devils?? I'll give you a hint, they are actually wearing blue pants.

LOL ... I was thinking the same thing while I was watching the show the second time. I thought ... they are doing everything everyone always claimed to hate about BD ... and yet all the BD haters love it (or most of them).

• Like 1

LOL ... I was thinking the same thing while I was watching the show the second time. I thought ... they are doing everything everyone always claimed to hate about BD ... and yet all the BD haters love it (or most of them).

Wait, you mean Crown? They're wearing turquoise pants, not Blue. Or Bluecoats or Blue Stars? I'm trying to figure out who you guys are talking about.