Sunday's Crown performance

Thank you Crown for giving us a look before first show.

My thoughts:

Because of that out of this world brass line, the musical package is well ahead of the visual at this point.

The show development is strong and allows for continuous tweaking as the season progresses.

Their seems to be a lot of time where brass isn't playing and then almost a "forced" writing of lots of notes to make up for loss time when they do.

I like the "metal percussive sounds" that again, build on the out of this world concept.

The props which I'm sure they will develop (as Cadets with their stage) will hopefully add to the anti gravity concept. It does seem to restrict the visual program from utilizing the entire field. (Or that could have been the webcast angle).

I like that when they are out of this world, the guard is not using "in this world" guard equipment. Those round things are unique and add fluidity to the visual but get rid of the sabers.

Overall impressions:

Solid foundation, substantive and interesting with a cold distant feel consistent with the concept. This isn't your warm, emotional Crown of the past. Competitively: Top 3.

Thanks Crown for exploring.

• Like 1

I liked to fancy myself a pretty good trumpet player in high school (first chair, made all-state, blah, blah, blah), but holy smokes, there is no way I'd make that brass line. Those kids are incredible.

I liked the show, but the "stuff" on the field was a bit overwhelming. The percussion feature will probably be pretty darn cool by the end of the year.

I also can't wait to see what happens when a wind storm kicks up during one of their shows. I have a feeling the frisbees will be gone by midseason.

I liked to fancy myself a pretty good trumpet player in high school (first chair, made all-state, blah, blah, blah), but holy smokes, there is no way I'd make that brass line. Those kids are incredible.

I liked the show, but the "stuff" on the field was a bit overwhelming. The percussion feature will probably be pretty darn cool by the end of the year.

I also can't wait to see what happens when a wind storm kicks up during one of their shows. I have a feeling the frisbees will be gone by midseason.

Sat with a bunch of guys from 06-12 era inside the circle on Saturday/Sunday. It was a constant half-joke that "No, none of us would've made this line."

Thanks to DCI and Crown for this Father's Day treat! They should do this every year with a different corps.

Initial impressions on OOTW and the webcast:

-Kevin Smith and Jim Coates are class acts.

-The interaction between the drum majors from Crown and BD showed a great deal of mutual respect.

-Dan Potter has the best job in the world.

-Video will never do this show justice.

-I have no business telling Michael Klesch what to do but I would love to hear more Lost and a little less of the percussion feature.

-A couple of snare drummers looked to be in danger of being blinded by oversized shakos sliding down over ther eyes.

-Did I miss the Crown formation?

• Like 1

-Did I miss the Crown formation?

I'm guessing that they will add a tag to the end of the show that will have the crown (that's what they did last year)

Thank you, btown50, for posting the link. I appreciate the thoughtfulness.

Upon 3 viewings:

* As everyone has pointed out, extremely proficient and technically impressive brass line. That being said, I still would take the Star 1990 - 1993 brass lines any day of the week -- and yes, twice on Sunday. As impressive as Crown's line is -- I believe there can come a point where "perfect" or "near perfect" technical execution runs the risk of being "cold"...almost impersonal. There is something about the music that, once I get past the initial awe over technical performance, there is not enough content to continue holding my interest. That commentary is directed about the music itself -- NOT the performing members.

* I didn't find the ballad choice to be particularly riveting. I would have loved to hear the slow section of "Jupiter" (I Vow To Thee My Country) programmed here; it would have lent a more human touch (not to mention a more emotional build) to the impersonal void that is space. But that is most probably just the raving of an idiot...

* Trampolines? Meh...

* During the "auto parts" percussion feature: did anyone notice the one kid on the left that appears to be all of about 15? Pretty impressive if he IS anywhere near that young.

* As for design: I won't speak on that, since I'm sure that there will be innumerable changes throughout the summer.

In general, I can appreciate that there is a lot of proficiency exhibited in those 11 minutes. Personally, however...it just doesn't grab me. JMVHO.

• Like 1

Visual and musical ideas will flow better later in season. If I'm honest I would say not holding out for a repeat, but that doesn't matter. Guard staging and work doesn't look to challenge the trophy like last year, but that could change. Brass probably will. Percussion miles ahead.

Thank you, btown50, for posting the link. I appreciate the thoughtfulness.

Upon 3 viewings:

* As everyone has pointed out, extremely proficient and technically impressive brass line. That being said, I still would take the Star 1990 - 1993 brass lines any day of the week -- and yes, twice on Sunday. As impressive as Crown's line is -- I believe there can come a point where "perfect" or "near perfect" technical execution runs the risk of being "cold"...almost impersonal. There is something about the music that, once I get past the initial awe over technical performance, there is not enough content to continue holding my interest. That commentary is directed about the music itself -- NOT the performing members.

* I didn't find the ballad choice to be particularly riveting. I would have loved to hear the slow section of "Jupiter" (I Vow To Thee My Country) programmed here; it would have lent a more human touch (not to mention a more emotional build) to the impersonal void that is space. But that is most probably just the raving of an idiot...

* Trampolines? Meh...

* During the "auto parts" percussion feature: did anyone notice the one kid on the left that appears to be all of about 15? Pretty impressive if he IS anywhere near that young.

* As for design: I won't speak on that, since I'm sure that there will be innumerable changes throughout the summer.

In general, I can appreciate that there is a lot of proficiency exhibited in those 11 minutes. Personally, however...it just doesn't grab me. JMVHO.

Hit the nail right on the head. I can appreciate how technically challenging the show is all day and how well they are executing it, but it doesn't reach out and grab me like last years did. I don't care too much at all for the percussion feature played on props, or all the clutter on the field. I'm sure there will be significant changes throughout the summer, but this show is just ehhh for me. BD FTW.

Visual and musical ideas will flow better later in season. If I'm honest I would say not holding out for a repeat, but that doesn't matter. Guard staging and work doesn't look to challenge the trophy like last year, but that could change. Brass probably will. Percussion miles ahead.

One performance before tour starts and already out of the running-- Tough crowd!

• Like 3

Yes, tough crowd lol, but I wasn't even that critical (at this point I don't even care for who wins a championship after they've done it tbh). I'll like it much more by end of season after umpteenth viewings ;).

• Like 2