DCI West - Stanford, CA

I saw the BBQ pre-show for BD and SCV, it was amazing. Very impressed. Then the shows went on. For me, the Bluecoats and Cadets shows this year keep me entertained -- you know, not drifting off looking at my wife's hot body, but instead glued to the field not realizing I am watching a show. There are a bunch of shows that family and friends can be very proud of this year. But when we are talking about promoting DCI to the public, stick to the Cadets and Bluecoats this year. Just a different league. ;)

Well you just made this thread sexy! :thumbup:

What's wrong with SCV and BD compared to Cadets and Bloo? Just your tastes?

Different strokes for different folks. I have not seen Cadets or Bluecoats live so I have nothing to compare with what I saw at Stanford. but I liked what I saw. I don't see BD falling out of the top 2 this year, and SCV has a lot of potential and could easily medal by the end of the year. I am excited for Bluecoats if they are as good as people are hyping them, but they seem to have received a lot of hype early season over the past few years. I remember they even beat BD one or two shows a few years ago, but if I remember by the end of the year they ended up 5th. I love Cadets. I am not sure if I am ready for another Copeland show, but it depends on the whole production. They have certainly done Copeland proud in the past.

I hope that BD, Cadets, Bluecoats, Crown and SCV are all trading wins at the end of the season. It would be great, but I doubt it will happen.

Is it an extremely difficult program that SCV is missing 2 minutes of their show?

Yea! I'm sure they would have scored very close to BD if their show was complete. They were VERY clean last night! I like the 04 production better because it was more faithful to the original piece but ignoring that part they had such a a fast paced and pristine show. Their horn line is Really really warm sounding and quite loud too.

The trombones are only for a very short part at the very beginning. big deal

It's supported by synth, but the brass line literally bends their intonation throughout the show, including the soloists. I just saw a rehearsal clip and the show literally tilts you inside.

That sounds like Cavaliers' 2008 without synths.

So as it turns out, Bluecoats' bring-down-the-house pitch-bending moment at the end of the show is all synth, no brass. Will that change over the course of the season?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

So as it turns out, Bluecoats' bring-down-the-house pitch-bending moment at the end of the show is all synth, no brass. Will that change over the course of the season?

I doubt it. I'm not sure that it's possible to bend the pitch down as much as Bloo's bending effect on brass instruments (except for trombones), plus it's a neat effect. Also, Bloo physically takes the instrument away from their mouth so you KNOW they're either magic or it's the synth.

Cavies pitch bend was more subtle. They're slightly different moments.

Different strokes for different folks. I have not seen Cadets or Bluecoats live so I have nothing to compare with what I saw at Stanford. but I liked what I saw. I don't see BD falling out of the top 2 this year, and SCV has a lot of potential and could easily medal by the end of the year. I am excited for Bluecoats if they are as good as people are hyping them, but they seem to have received a lot of hype early season over the past few years. I remember they even beat BD one or two shows a few years ago, but if I remember by the end of the year they ended up 5th. I love Cadets. I am not sure if I am ready for another Copeland show, but it depends on the whole production. They have certainly done Copeland proud in the past.

I hope that BD, Cadets, Bluecoats, Crown and SCV are all trading wins at the end of the season. It would be great, but I doubt it will happen.

I think that was 2007 (Centerville, OH) , and we ended up 7th. Womp womp.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure- that was the address I was given! Fremont in Sunnyvale...

Indeed in Sunnyvale. I work for the district. Their band director is a SCV alum and he was stoked the Crossmen were there. The school has a math teacher who is also a SCV alum that marched the first Scheherazade show. He may be on tour with Phantom to some extent as his younger brother currently marches snare.

Edited by Wildabeast

Why would Bluecoats even want to THINK about doing that ?.... if what you are doing is jaw dropping gimmicky good to most fans and judges alike, why would you want to potentially screww up a perfect thing by attempting to substitute that by playing a musical instrument during it ? That would be downright foolish to me to even want to consider THAT.

Edited by BRASSO