Crown's hornline?

Am I the only one who feels as though Crown's hornline is maybe not quite what they have been the last few years? I know it's early. But I'm always very impressed with how their hornline plays even this early and so far, it's not quite hitting me the way it usually does.

Is it just me? Maybe part of it is just that they don't seem to play as much. A lot of time with the horns off the faces for "effect". Seems unlike them....

Edited by bmjfelts1988
  • Like 1

I enjoyed them last night in Rockford. To me they are just as impressive as they always have been and its early in the season. Come August they will be even more impressive! The total effect seeing this show live is awesome...I wanted them to perform the show again. =)

I think we tend to compare everything to August of the previous year and obviously, not a fair comparison. Crown's brass has been and still is, IMO, the best DCI has ever seen and I don't think this line will disappoint in that regard. You may not love their book and some have stated that is it too much of a good thing (the almost constant runs) in the show, not sure, probably not. Crown's brass this season, will not be their problem if a problem even exists.

• Like 9

I wouldn't be too worried about Crown's brass. They're still amazing.......I'm just thinking that last year this time we were blown away by their brass sound, it kinda overshadowed the rest of the sections in the corps. Yes, guard was good too, and I'm not sure about percussion, but from what I've heard it was a big weakness. This year, percussion seems to be a lot stronger, so the brass doesn't seem to be carrying the corps along as much. With all the sections in the corps more equal, it's harder to concentrate on one more than another. I don't know if that really makes sense , but there it is.Of course, that's just my opinion, and it could totally be wrong.

I don't know how many times I've watched the preview show I downloaded, but if you just listen to it instead of watching, your going to pick up a lot more detail. There is some really neat trumpet runs through out the closer that I couldn't hear until I eliminated my sense of vision. With that gone, my brain was able to focus more on what I was hearing.Same goes for the subtle melody at the end of the ballad from the mellos.

• Like 1

I think to really appreciate this line, you must hear them live. Webcast / video does not do them justice.

I live about 30 minutes away from their spring training location. I have had the opportunity to watch them rehearse there the past several years. In my opinion they are stronger now than they were this time last year. As some have commented, the designers are trying a more balanced approach in regards to brass and percussion. Brass plays a little less than last year but when they do - Wow!

• Like 1

I wouldn't say it's the line, more the book. They still play the hell out of those horns, but really, matching E=MC 2 can not be an easy task.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who feels as though Crown's hornline is maybe not quite what they have been the last few years?....

YES, You are

Edited by Tone Quality Matters
  • Like 2