Crown's hornline?

Just for fun, thought I would compare BD to Crown when it came to time brass is actually playing and here are the results using the Stanford video:

Preshow starts: 5:12-6:13

Announcement: 6:14

6:15-7:15 (only sopranos and mellos playing)

7:34-8:00

8:40-9:23

10:48-11:04

11:23-11:35

12:30-12:41

13:00-13:52

14:51-15:16

15:37-15:58

16:29-16:47

Show ends 17:32

I only counted times that lasted longer than 10 seconds. Most of these were Percussion features or transitions. One included a soloist and another time included a small ensemble of 9 individuals. I included these two occurrences since the brass line as a whole essentially has a break minus a few individuals.

Total show length from start of preshow to end of show: 12 minutes 20 seconds

Total show length from announcement to end of show: 11 minutes 18 seconds

Total time brass is not playing including preshow: 5 minutes 45 seconds

Total time brass is not playing not including preshow: 4 minutes 44 seconds

Total time brass is not playing not including the opening section of high brass only: 3 minutes 44 seconds

Just thought that was interesting...

I would not have counted (in any way) the "high brass only moments" (especially since it counts for 40 of their 76 brass...making it more than half the line) nor would I count soloist/small ensemble moments. I didn't count such moments in Crown, either (or I would have had much more). Either brass players are playing or they are not.

But of course, some will shout "victory" now. That's fine. Back to the original point...."am I the only one who liked Crown's line better last year?" Answer: no.

Actually, forget that even! Earlier I posted a link to last night's recap showing how Crown's content/rep numbers are where they are losing to Cadets - which generally leads one to think they are "outperforming their book" (though I'm not specifically saying that is absolutely the case).

Not ONE person even attempted to address that post and it was in fact where the thread began to get real quiet for a while.

Any takers?

Edited by bmjfelts1988

I would not have counted (in any way) the "high brass only moments" (especially since it counts for 40 of their 76 brass...making it more than half the line) nor would I count soloist/small ensemble moments. I didn't count such moments in Crown, either (or I would have had much more). Either brass players are playing or they are not.

But of course, some will shout "victory" now. That's fine. Back to the original point...."am I the only one who liked Crown's line better last year?" Answer: no.

Actually, forget that even! Earlier I posted a link to last night's recap showing how Crown's content/rep numbers are where they are losing to Cadets - which generally leads one to think they are "outperforming their book" (though I'm not specifically saying that is absolutely the case).

Not ONE person even attempted to address that post and it was in fact where the thread began to get real quiet for a while.

Any takers?

From someone who agrees with your initial point about Crown's line so far this year, let me say that your debate technique borders closer to just being belligerently obnoxious. I wouldn't expect any takers except maybe the few that have already "engaged" you as it seems impossible for either side to concede the last word in this wholly ridiculous argument/ pissing match.

Edited by chaddyt
  • Like 1

Any takers?

Have you ever been to critique at a 5 judge show in the first week of the season? That may shed a lot of light on any discussion of individual box numbers.

• Like 2

From someone who agrees with your initial point about Crown's line so far this year, let me say that your debate technique borders closer to just being belligerently obnoxious. I wouldn't expect any takers except maybe the few that have already "engaged" you as it seems impossible for either side to concede the last word in this wholly ridiculous argument/ pissing match.

Fair enough. Edited by bmjfelts1988

Not that it really matters...but crown doesn't have any soloists or no small ensemble moments (except the small group of trumpets on the trampoline that play for all of 8 seconds)

But anyways, I'll use your logic and include the preshow since that's when the performance starts not the judged portion. And I'll throw out the high brass feature. So not including those times and you end up with 4 minutes and 26 seconds (that small ensemble was a small portion of the big pit transition going on). Very similar to Crown's time...

Not trying to argue for or against you on the matter of crown's hornline this year. You're entitled to your opinion and I was just showing that another top corps has just as much gaps in brass time during their show. I actually think it would be interesting to calculate this for all the corps but I'm not that bored lol. I would be surprised if there actually is a big difference between all the corps.

Edited by wilme861

Not that it really matters...but crown doesn't have any soloists or no small ensemble moments (except the small group of trumpets on the trampoline that play for all of 8 seconds)

Yeah, I thought about that after I made that comment. One of those "wait, why did I say that" moments. I stand corrected on that.

In any case, we'll see what happens in the coming days. It's going to be an interesting season for sure. A competitive season. I don't think anybody is going to have anything handed to them. Perhaps that's the real point I've tried to make from the beginning. Last year, the writing was clearly on the wall. It was Crown's year from the word go. This year, it's anyone's game. Should be interesting.

And with that said........."enough".....as one person posted on a meme. At least for me. If anyone wants to carry on the discussion, knock yourself out. Even I'm burned out by it now.

Yep.

A lot of it comes down to variety, too. Crown's opener, features, and closer have a TON of runs and triple-tonguing that's extremely impressive. How many sections of the show are they playing long, swelling tones that blend and interweave with the percussion and other brass members? Or play an extended passage that grows, slowly, from piano to triple fortissimo?

Couple that with the sheer amount of space (pun!) in their book, and the lack of visual demand while playing (except for the opener), and you can see why they're losing to other corps.

A lot of it comes down to variety, too. Crown's opener, features, and closer have a TON of runs and triple-tonguing that's extremely impressive. How many sections of the show are they playing long, swelling tones that blend and interweave with the percussion and other brass members? Or play an extended passage that grows, slowly, from piano to triple fortissimo?

Couple that with the sheer amount of space (pun!) in their book, and the lack of visual demand while playing (except for the opener), and you can see why they're losing to other corps.

I agree.

• 3 weeks later...

Brass Scores for LaCross show last night, July 12th, 2014:

Cadets - 17.50

Crown - 17.30

I realize it's not August yet but that really doesn't matter because it still validates my point from the beginning of the thread that Crown's hornline is NOT as strong as they were last year because last year they were UNTOUCHABLE and THIS Λ Λ Λ.......did not and WOULD NOT have happened last year!

So all of you who spent 18 pages arguing this topic with me a few weeks ago can now eat crap.

Edited by bmjfelts1988