Breaking through the glass ceiling...

I'm sure there are obvious reasons, and I've never sat on any Corps' Board of Directors, however, if I did, my goal would be to determine what do we need to do to break through to the next level. Let's for example use Spirit of Atlanta ( :silly: )...why can't they do what CC did? For that matter, why can't any corps do this? Is it relying on their name to draw in recruits, or do they actually go recruit players? I realize money is always tight, but corps tour every year and make it through. (I believe SOA has rental properties and few other real estate investments that fund them, not 100% though).

I'm not going to get into scoring, conspiracies, slotting, or any other topic brought up on here 1000 times...but as a fan, I would LOVE to see an activity that in any given year more than a handful can win...how cool would it be that this year Troopers actually had a chance to break into the top 4? I guess parity would be great...and speaking in the side of ignorance, why cannot corps break through?

I'm sure there are obvious reasons, and I've never sat on any Corps' Board of Directors, however, if I did, my goal would be to determine what do we need to do to break through to the next level. Let's for example use Spirit of Atlanta ( :silly: )...why can't they do what CC did? For that matter, why can't any corps do this? Is it relying on their name to draw in recruits, or do they actually go recruit players? I realize money is always tight, but corps tour every year and make it through. (I believe SOA has rental properties and few other real estate investments that fund them, not 100% though).

I'm not going to get into scoring, conspiracies, slotting, or any other topic brought up on here 1000 times...but as a fan, I would LOVE to see an activity that in any given year more than a handful can win...how cool would it be that this year Troopers actually had a chance to break into the top 4? I guess parity would be great...and speaking in the side of ignorance, why cannot corps break through?

all that would be very cool.......ways to do this is , MONEY,consistency from top to bottom, retention ( if you can hold onto staff and members , not force , hold on to)

yes it would all be cool and doesnt happen except for a few time to time for reasons, many times very obvious reasons.

I was told years ago in business, You want to be like someone , then look what they have done to get to where they are. Many times corps follow their same path and expect different results. Ive seen both sides of this coin and it can be very tough. JMO

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

why can't they do what CC did? For that matter, why can't any corps do this?

Because they don't have 4 greats in the activity, bitter from losing out on jobs at Cadets and getting asked to leave Phantom Regiment and then an Administrative Corps Staff that gives them years upon years to turn things around.

• Like 1

Design. You have to design shows that are competitive (easier said than done)... and the designs (especially the early ones) need to market strengths and avoid weaknesses. Then you become in demand for talented new recruits. It all snowballs from there (including the money). Most corps fall out because design falls out first... and most rise because design rises to a contending level. Simple answer is to choose to design and compete with corps that are where you want to be... not with the ones that are where you are or where you were.

Edited by cfirwin3

Because they don't have 4 greats in the activity, bitter from losing out on jobs at Cadets and getting asked to leave Phantom Regiment and then an Administrative Corps Staff that gives them years upon years to turn things around.

You put a negative spin on it, but

1. Have your business side together, so that you can ...

2. Recruit excellent staff who can make a long-term commitment ...

3. Give them the time needed to build strong programs and design great shows that will ...

4. Attract very talented performers who can ...

5. Win

Seems like excellent advice for any corps who would like to improve their fortunes in DCI.

• Like 2

Engaging shows that appeal to prospective members combined with a staff that has a sound pedagogical approach and an administration that provides the necessities while taking as much stress away from the experience as possible.

Getting all of that to line up tends to be rather difficult, it seems.

You may want to remember that Crown charged into finals in 1995 and was successful for a few years before slipping backwards, then coming out in 2003 with a new look, sound, etc. and the rest is history.

It's not like they pulled off what Star or some groups like BD and SCV and came out from the start and just have been great since.

Crown did the same thing so many elite groups strive to do, put together a great team and built. It really wasn't that long ago that they were still an 8th place corps. That's not a knock against them, simply a reality.

Long story short, they had a plan, made it work over about a decade and got a championship.

Some choose not to make the choices required to move up, namely, in choosing talent for each year's corps. The reasons I saw people being cut at top-level groups (i.e. weight, build, etc.) were not factors at the corps I wound up with. Some corps don't want to win DCI; perhaps doing so compromises their mission from the organzition's perspective.