Name change contest!

Drum Corps International: Rainouts on Parade!

Didnt DCI stop using "Summer Music Games" years ago???

Why does it NEED to be changed? What is with this constant NEED and desire to change this activity... I simply don't buy into the whole "progress" argument. 20 years ago... 1993... over 80 corps competed at the DCI World Championships aka The Summer Music Games. In 2013?

Yes you read that correctly.... 36. As in over HALF the corps from 20 years ago are gone... vanished... kaput. In that lot, we have lost no less than 6 former DCI finalists, a DCI World Champion, at leasst 3 former Division 2 or 3 champions and we have actually lost the local corps foundation the activity was built on. So what has changed?

• Instrumentation, both key and types
  • A and E
  • Local touring circuits have all vanished
  • Infighting like never before
  • The lines between drum corps and band have all but disappeared

Please remind me again? Why is all this change necessary?

#justsayin

Think about this...My first year marching drum corps, 1974, there were more drum corps in the state of Illinois, than there are now in DCI world class...& there were more than 400 drum corps in the USA. The worst thing that DCI ever did was destroying all of the local drum corps circuits, & that will continue to contribute to the negative growth of this once great activity. Drum corp must return to a more local level, recruiting local members. Drum corps needs to be a community activity in my opinion. Regionalize the activity to minimize lengthy travel & control costs.

and most of them were terrible :)

I'm amazed at the number of shows around the country that are called:

Drum Corps: And American Tradition

It's something like 5 or six shows.

Could it be the creeping in of a trend to re-brand?

It's surprising that so many shows would include a grammatically incorrect and bizarre show title.

I just wanted to make a point to the one who was complaining about the activity changing.

Competition breeds excellence, and it's only natural that an activity become competitive to the point where the small group of highly talented staff gets taken by those with the most money. Everyone else is left with mediocrity. And then you get to a point where the impulse (and necessity, since the Big Boys have rigged the game to where you have to play their game to keep afloat), to try and compete with the Big Boys, and then all money and resources goes towards playing their game. It's either "spend $600,000 - $1 million to go on tour around the country all summer trying to compete for a Finals spot, or Top 6, or Top 3" or fold.

It's as simple as that.

And then you have the fact that local VFW posts and other small community orgs quit sponsoring, because it just got too expensive and complicated.

And then you have cell phones and video games. Kids would rather do those now than work their ***** off all summer and make themselves better people.

In any case, I guess my answer to the OP would be

Field Pageantry Competition Tour or something of the like.

Edited by BoyWonder1911

Think about this...My first year marching drum corps, 1974, there were more drum corps in the state of Illinois, than there are now in DCI world class...& there were more than 400 drum corps in the USA. The worst thing that DCI ever did was destroying all of the local drum corps circuits, & that will continue to contribute to the negative growth of this once great activity. Drum corp must return to a more local level, recruiting local members. Drum corps needs to be a community activity in my opinion. Regionalize the activity to minimize lengthy travel & control costs.

Honestly, I believe that DCI is trying. If Sound Sport keeps on developing then it could promote DCI on a local level. Though Sound Sport doesn't have the same boundaries as DCI, it's still apart of the activity. It's also a great way for new corps to start small, and to learn how real drum corps works. Also I like the fact that anyone could participate in it. I believe it's a great concept with a lot of potential.