Do We Want Cheering Fans Or Not?

Do we want cheering fans or not?

The real question is do we want jeering fans or not?

Nope. :-)

Probably also don't want leering fans.

I've seen all sorts of extremes at shows. I've seen the over-eager "superfans" that just seem ridiculous (5 standing ovations for Pioneer...really?) and then I've seen people who don't applaud for anything. The latter is, for me, the most frustrating because it just seems offensive. Coming to a show and sitting there looking bored and not reacting for anything means you shouldn't show up. This person was also sitting within the first 5 rows on the 50.

A person who buys a ticket to see a show and support the activity should not "show up" because they do not conform to your audience etiquette criteria? Seems a little over the top. Given the choice of sitting next to an over zealous "super fan" or a non-reactive introvert, I'll choose the latter. That said, I'd welcome both. A couple of years ago at semi-finals I had two "super fans" (badges and all) seated directly behind me. One was so obnoxiously loud that if he is looking for his voice I think it's still in my left ear. I'd have preferred he conform to the more moderate level of enthusiasm displayed by the fans in our area, but instead I told him I admired his enthusiasm and encouraged him to project over my head rather than through it. Personally, I clap politely for effort, and clap enthusiastically when I'm entertained or impressed. To those ticket buyers who emote significantly more or less, if it's about the performers and not about you, to thine own self be true.

Edited by mrk

Personally I clapped more for the "lower" corps (BS, Pio, Troop, Colts, etc.) Because I found their shows to be more entertaining than other groups . Regardless of difficulty or performance level.

Personally I clapped more for the "lower" corps (BS, Pio, Troop, Colts, etc.) Because I found their shows to be more entertaining than other groups . Regardless of difficulty or performance level.

So you are applauding the design staff and not the performers.

I am applauding the work the design staff put in for the show and the work the performers have put in for it to be entertaining.

Probably also don't want leering fans.

And should avoid searing fans...

As a performer you want to hear those screams because it hypes you to want to give even more to your performance. As far as people claiming they don't get excited to their feet anymore, I think has nothing to do with the corps. In general we all become desensitized, especially having experienced a lifetime of awesome shows.

Edited by bandman28

I think you may be on to something. At times, I have gotten the impression that some participants here, though by no means a majority, don't really want drum corps to be entertaining. It reminds me of something I once read by a film critic, who argued that one way to recognize the best movies was that they were a little boring.

I think there are way more people interested in the "art" of drum corps these days than the "entertainment" of drum corps.