Do We Want Cheering Fans Or Not?

Repeatedly on these forums, there have been complaints that modern drum corps shows don't excite fans and bring them to their feet like shows of old.

But then in the Muncie thread, for a show where students in attendance give multiple standing ovations (during the performances, even) to several corps in what appear to be genuine and spontaneous cheers (not shouting to hear themselves shout and not phony staff-driven attempts to get others to cheer), it seems to me that there is a fair amount of moaning from DCP commenters about these overexcited fans getting in the way of our enjoyment of the show.

So what gives?

• Like 1

Yeah I'm 18 but I absolutely hate cheering for the sake of being loud and obnoxious. It's unneeded. Applause and cheering after a big hit or solo is approptiate. Being obnoxious or, my biggest annoyance about the 80s and 90s - yelling someone's name randomly, is stupid.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm 18 but I absolutely hate cheering for the sake of being loud and obnoxious. It's unneeded. Applause and cheering after a big hit or solo is approptiate. Being obnoxious or, my biggest annoyance about the 80s and 90s - yelling someone's name randomly, is stupid.

That annoys me too, even about the fans and shows of today. I also don't like the "Vanguard" yell, but that'll get me in trouble with some. I kinda want to just try and enjoy the moments how the designers designed the shows.

God in heaven what is wrong with people? Corps today are awful in their designs. Corps today get applause from the youth in America for nothing. I mean is their nothing a drum corps can do today that will make people on this site happy????

We do need cheering fans at the event. The live event is the most important thing.

However, I have had bad luck in seat assignment. At one show I happen to sit in front of 4 girls that would yell at every guard catch. This was a high pitched, piercing, solid, sustained note that hurt my ears, and went straight to the brain pan like a laser. It was like they were leaning forward intentionally yelling as close as they could to my ears.

The problem, I watch drumlines so it continually caught me by surprise, until I started watching the guards and had my fingers ready by the earholes.

I did think about saying something, or trying to move, but I didn't want to be the old grouch quelling youthful exuberance.

Edited by c mor

As a student present at this show, I can ensure these were all genuine. Earlier in the week, there were some not so genuine cheers for artists we felt deserved an ovation, regardless of what we thought of the quality, but we loved every corps that performed last night.

I don't understand the big #### deal. So what people cheer and YOU may think its obnoxious. You have no way of knowing what's in these people's heads when they're cheering. Perhaps they are actually ENJOYING what they're seeing and hearing. I'm sure the corps love it. I know I did when I heard them cheer and I didn't care whether or not they were cheering just to be obnoxious or just doing it because they enjoyed it. It helped ups perform better when we heard it.

• Like 9

I've seen all sorts of extremes at shows. I've seen the over-eager "superfans" that just seem ridiculous (5 standing ovations for Pioneer...really?) and then I've seen people who don't applaud for anything. The latter is, for me, the most frustrating because it just seems offensive. Coming to a show and sitting there looking bored and not reacting for anything means you shouldn't show up. This person was also sitting within the first 5 rows on the 50.

I may be a superfan for some corps (cough, cough Crown) but I try not to go over the top. Except for 2012 at the end of "For the Common Good" when I went absolutely nuclear and ended up on the DVD (and later the harlem shake video) because I was in the 2nd row and losing my mind. I apologize to anyone who may have been around me but it was warranted.

Why do people hate the Vanguard yell? I look forward to it every year.

• Like 1

That annoys me too, even about the fans and shows of today. I also don't like the "Vanguard" yell, but that'll get me in trouble with some. I kinda want to just try and enjoy the moments how the designers designed the shows.

What if i told you, the vanguard yell is part of the design.