Have the Cadets become the Blue Devils? What demand must they add?

In my book, uniforms aren't much of a change.

Now, if it's 1986 and you don't even have uniforms for several weeks of the season, and are marching in jeans and tee-shirts, getting chuckles from the audience wondering what the heck is going on with the champion of the last three years, then I'd say you can claim that a uniform change is a big deal. ;)

Now, if it's 1986 and you don't even have uniforms for several weeks of the season, and are marching in jeans and tee-shirts, getting chuckles from the audience wondering what the heck is going on with the champion of the last three years, then I'd say you can claim that a uniform change is a big deal. ;)

Did that actually happen? What group?

I don't know what the Cadets have, or have not, become this season.

All I know is I am enjoying their show very much... and to me, that is what it's all about!!!

• Like 3

A friend of mine who marched Cadets '86 told me that story about uniforms. That year had a lot of logistical problems. Something like 1988, a group full of veterans of a world championship corps playing a brilliantly designed show, but whose bus got in an accident (no fault of their own, though) that resulted in at least one death in a passenger car, and for the last couple weeks of the season, the corps was in snake-bitten, nearly freak-out mode, as it was told to me. Finished fourth. Then they aged out almost the entire corps, and came back with a bunch of 17 year olds for 1989. Still did great, though.

I think you underestimate the impact. They changed guard unis mid-season 2011 (remember the pink?!) and it left the visual program much improved. It has an effect on the way the audience experiences the show, and it likely has an effect on the energy and confidence of the performers. It will also add clarity about where one segment stops and the other one picks up. The uni changes mid-show by Vanguard in the 80s were legendary, if I read my history correctly. And of course, we'll see how Regiment does with it this year.

• Like 1

They just understand the judging sheets of 2014 and have written an appropriate show. Demand for demands sake (ah hem.....Crown) isn't going to get the credit whereas placing all the right elements in the right place at the right time and linking all effects seamlessly together is going to get credit. That's why Cadets are doing well and writing as they write.

This group of kids the Cadets have, you could have taught them do, re, me and they would have still WOWed everyone. Let's give credit where credit is due instead of trying to knit-pick this show to death. This corps is crazy good and there's nothing you can say or do (except complain about the narration that works) that will change that. Even the judging system is rewarding the Cadets show. The truth shall set you free, but first it will #### you off.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Like 1

So that then raises the question: why is the physical presence of the narrator needed? Could it not just work as a voiceover, especially since it is pre-recorded anyway? With a voiceover, your visual attention is not split. A horn soloist is a bit different, as it has always seemed part of the point of pulling them out of the form was to give them a controlled environment, up front for the best possible musical performance, free of the sound quality changing as they got farther away, etc.

I'm just honestly interested in why they are doing it this way, as I watch the guy come out, do his bit, then turn, climb down the steps or ramp, etc. Oh, and now back to the show. I can't shake the feeling that two elements don't seem in synch.

Listen to the piece again to get your understanding. Maybe that will help you with the narration.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Visually, I'm not sure how the narrator is distracting, or why you expect the rest of the corps to stop doing stuff when he talks. Do you think the same of horn soloists?

I totally sympathize with wanting the run and gun Cadets. George said this spring that they mostly calmed down the drill design after 1993 (though of course it wasn't forever or always), and looking at their drill over the last 15 years, you can definitely see the change in approach.

Probably the reason 1992 and 1993 are my favorite Cadets shows!

• Like 1

I know of a Div. 2 group in the early 90's who rolled into a parade w/out their equipment truck which had broken down somewhere else. I think the corps marched in the parade in jeans, member shirts, baseball bats and WITHOUT instruments or flags! Drumline had sticks at least

This group of kids the Cadets have, you could have taught them do, re, me and they would have still WOWed everyone. Let's give credit where credit is due instead of trying to knit-pick this show to death. This corps is crazy good and there's nothing you can say or do (except complain about the narration that works) that will change that. Even the judging system is rewarding the Cadets show. The truth shall set you free, but first it will #### you off.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

as an outsider - what's impressed me is their positivity and work ethic - this corps has been given a huge amount of musical and visual challenges and as I described in my Chambersburg review "swallowed the program whole" -- in the practice I witnessed extremely great energy, open mindedness & a boat load of talent. In my view if the Cadet design team writes a couple new even tougher segments and a very hard ending for the show THIS corps will absorb the changes just as quickly. Reminds me of the 2005 Cadets in terms of work ethic. And as we all remember THAT corps swept all captions and tied for the highest finals score ever... Again - all as an outsider. It's an impressive bunch. In a week they improved three weeks. By the end of June they look like the middle of July. Impressive indeed.

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2