Have the Cadets become the Blue Devils? What demand must they add?

I know of a Div. 2 group in the early 90's who rolled into a parade w/out their equipment truck which had broken down somewhere else. I think the corps marched in the parade in jeans, member shirts, baseball bats and WITHOUT instruments or flags! Drumline had sticks at least

anything to get the performance fee!! Amen to that.

The funny thing about the this thread is the title. "What must they add?" Last time I checked, Cadets are sitting in first place, yet this thread is discussing what must THEY add. What about, "What do the other corps need to add to catch them?"? Granted, there's a huge possibility the Cadets will get caught by one, two or three other corps before the season is up, but it's funny there is so much nitpicking going on with THIS show as opposed to the other shows that are currently sitting behind them.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 4

The funny thing about the this thread is the title. "What must they add?" Last time I checked, Cadets are sitting in first place, yet this thread is discussing what must THEY add. What about, "What do the other corps need to add to catch them?"? Granted, there's a huge possibility the Cadets will get caught by one, two or three other corps before the season is up, but it's funny there is so much nitpicking going on with THIS show as opposed to the other shows that are currently sitting behind them.

Hmm, I would say Cadets have the same chance of winning as BD, as one of only two undefeated corps. I would also add Cadets have beat powerhouses Crown and Coats and BD is winning over SCV who I'm not even sure have finished their show yet... How chances change in mid July after a regional or two, no one knows. I'm only making a statement on what HAS happened thus far.

I titled the thread responding to the number of posters who have been saying in the last couple weeks that the Cadets will peak early, that demand isn't high enough, or that there are problems with the Cadets staging or narration that are either fixable or not (meaning, some think there should be no narration in this or any show).

Here is a little bit of demand in the Cadets' show from 'ground hog' level :-)

http://youtu.be/MAb6g7ZEGhA

• Like 1

I was just thinking the same thing; thought, "wait did Cadets get passed up by someone recently?!"

The internet is a culture that loves to criticize, aint it: sometimes so even when something's not broken

A friend of mine who marched Cadets '86 told me that story about uniforms. That year had a lot of logistical problems. Something like 1988, a group full of veterans of a world championship corps playing a brilliantly designed show, but whose bus got in an accident (no fault of their own, though) that resulted in at least one death in a passenger car, and for the last couple weeks of the season, the corps was in snake-bitten, nearly freak-out mode, as it was told to me. Finished fourth. Then they aged out almost the entire corps, and came back with a bunch of 17 year olds for 1989. Still did great, though.

Partial true history here. The accident happened the night of our last regular season show in 1987. I was in the front seat and witnessed it. It was indeed awful. It really didn't affect what happened on the field, but being involved was a life changing event and certainly put things in perspective. In 1988, I still maintain that we had a better corps (including percussion!) and a better show (which is subjective...my mother disagrees). The drop in placement from 1 to 4 was, I believe, due to 3 others just being better that night. We didn't know until later that we were 5th in semis. This was the year of the experiment. I believe that that experiment allowed the judges to have the courage to give Madison what they deserved that night. It was a great call. At any rate, the previous season's accident was not responsible for our performance the next year.

I titled the thread responding to the number of posters who have been saying in the last couple weeks that the Cadets will peak early, that demand isn't high enough, or that there are problems with the Cadets staging or narration that are either fixable or not (meaning, some think there should be no narration in this or any show).

Don't take offense to it. My point is simply I can't understand why there is this much of an issue placed on CADETS when they're currently sitting ahead of Crown and Bluecoats. Obviously that can change, but still. It's amazing to me that there's so much emphasis being placed on what "needs" to be changed in CADETS' show, or perhaps it's not really that amazing to me.

Don't take offense to it. My point is simply I can't understand why there is this much of an issue placed on CADETS when they're currently sitting ahead of Crown and Bluecoats. Obviously that can change, but still. It's amazing to me that there's so much emphasis being placed on what "needs" to be changed in CADETS' show, or perhaps it's not really that amazing to me.

Could be also that the Cadets aren't used to sitting in the catbird seat early in the season. No other corps I can think of has almost annually been in the position of coming from behind.