PPL Patibulation - Chester, PA -- 6 July 2014

I am not sure who out there is really "cutting edge". I would venture BD and Bloo are less "theme" and more "concept" but really everything out there this season has been done so I laugh when Cadets are lumped into the "they are great, BUT" category. They are doing an Americana/Patriotic theme and its actually nice to watch a group at that level doing something that's accessible and enjoyable. I think there is something to be said for high performance levels and program clarity.

• Like 1

That's a very big "could take it all in Indy". As much as I like blue this year, it is not the show that will take it all.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Of course Coats could take it all. They are within a Cadets and a half point of Crown. They have a top 3 drumline, a top 3 guard and a top 3 or 4 brassline with THE Show of 2014.

• Like 1

Yep -- Crown has changed their schedule (not once but TWICE) because their show is so broken (last night they only won music and visual -- what's wrong with them??) so they're taking time off to fix stuff. :doh:

Irving you're making me giggle :-) But you keep honking -- I'm enjoying it !

Um. How to put this... ?

Like most things in life the truth lies in the middle. No - their show isn't "broken" - but yes, it needs some major revamps. As does Cadet's frankly. Advantage: BD

Smart of Crown to schedule long stretches off to make changes/clean. BD has been doing that for years. Cadets need to rethink their "labor camp" mentality and schedule some breaks on tour where kids can rest a bit. They are non-stop practice/shows/practice.

I'm afraid I agree with you on this point.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

I think there is something to be said for high performance levels and program clarity.

Sure thing. Put on a Christmas show with Christmas tunes like " Jingle Bells ", etc, and if its got a high performance and talent levels, thats sufficient enough, if you're the Cadets. This year, who doesn't like Abe Lincoln, JFK, FDR, etc ?.. its unpatriotic to not like any of them... the show theme has a simple " clarity", for certain and the judges like that, so its a fomula thats guaranteed to work like a charm every time. This is not a knock on the Cadets at all. I think I've seen this 2014 type of Americana, Patriotic show from The Cadets a dozen times over the years. It never gets worn. Its like hearing " Melaquena" played over and over again. Its familiar, and always enjoyable... and the Cadets 2014 show theme of Patriotic pandering, with familar music, most of which most of us here have all here heard before, works very well for the judges and most fans alike. So whats not to like with what they're doing ? Its hard to quibble with anything that works.

Edited by BRASSO

Sure thing. Put on a Christmas show with Christmas tunes like " Jingle Bells ", etc, and if its got a high performance and talent levels, thats sufficient enough, if you're the Cadets. This year, who doesn't like Abe Lincoln, JFK, FDR, etc ?.. its unpatriotic to not like any of them... the show theme has a simple " clarity", for certain and the judges like that, so its a fomula thats guaranteed to work like a charm every time. This is not a knock on the Cadets at all. I think I've seen this 2014 type of Americana, Patriotic show from The Cadets a dozen times over the years. It never gets worn. Its like hearing " Melaquena" played over and over again. Its familiar, and always enjoyable... and the Cadets 2014 show theme of Patriotic pandering, with familar music, most of which most of us here have all here heard before, works very well for the judges and most fans alike. So whats not to like with what they're doing ? Its hard to quibble with anything that works.

I think you could only call 1995 and 2002 (and this year) "patriotic". Americana -- ok yes, that's closer to a dozen shows.

About half the 2014 show is NOT familiar music (being Lincoln Portrait and Music for Theater), though it's very accessible.

I think you could only call 1995 and 2002 (and this year) "patriotic". Americana -- ok yes, that's closer to a dozen shows.

About half the 2014 show is NOT familiar music (being Lincoln Portrait and Music for Theater), though it's very accessible.

1n5j1F1.png

• Like 1

He didn't say it's accessible to cats.

1n5j1F1.png
Edited by skevinp
  • Like 1

1n5j1F1.png

Point taken :) I just mean that it's mostly upbeat, major-chord kinda stuff, with hints of familiar-sounding folk and jazz.

Of course Coats could take it all. They are within a Cadets and a half point of Crown. They have a top 3 drumline, a top 3 guard and a top 3 or 4 brassline with THE Show of 2014.

...this without BD or SCV in the mix? Let's see where Blue is in a week; fair enough? Right now I'm not putting anything on "could take it all".

Irving

Fan of the Arts