Corps Travel and Expansion

I was reading a thread in the DCI forums that spoke about the frustrations of not having more eastern corps travel west during the DCI tour. It got me thinking about the regional exclusivity of DCA. There are some exceptions, where southern or mid-western corps travel to the northeast (an early season treat for northeastern fans), but it is never the other way around. Now, I do not want to start a complaining session - that horse has been beaten - but I would like to open a dialogue of what could be done to make an incentive to get corps mixing it up a bit more the regular season.

I think it would be in DCA's best interest to find incentives to get corps to travel to other locations outside the northeast so that it can expand its market. As good as many of the southern corps have become, it would be great for the fan base in the south to be able to see one of the top five groups at a show. I also believe that getting different corps to compare to would give a more accurate read going into finals weekend. I realize that the current format makes for large place jumps, but at the same time, I feel like we are competitively stunting the groups outside of the northeast.

Again, not a complain session, but what I would like to see is another regional created. Perhaps one in Cincinnati so that corps from multiple regions can particiapte. You could have a line-up of the following:

Open Class

Alliance (6 hrs 42 min.) - similar to their Carolina trip

Buccaneers (8 hrs 5 min) - a bit of a stretch

Cadets 2 (8 hrs 26 min)

Carolina Gold (7 hrs 17 min) - no longer than the Florida show they traveled to this year

CV (6 hrs 42 min.) - less than a northeast trip

Kilties (5 hrs 45 min)

MBI (10 hrs 29 min) - far, but closer than northeast shows

Shenandoah Sound (8 hrs 7 min)

Skyliners (8 hrs 50 min)

Class A

Cincinnati Tradition (host)

Govenaires (11 hrs 15 min)

White Sabers (7 hrs)

Honestly, the groups with the worst drives are ones that have made even longer trips in the past. Is there anyone at DCA that is interested in putting something like this together? If we start expanding the market with quality shows, the market will grow (both in fans and people interested in participating). I thought the regional in Scranton was a great start, but it is still just another northeast show. Cincinnati could be considered the Mid-South regional. That fact that there is a corps local to the city makes it much easier hammer out logistics and ensure there is an audience for something like this.

I think if you could get this many groups in one location it would make the trip worth it for everyone. It would provide the very best read for everyone at that point in the season. Not to mention it could be huge for DCA. Who wouldn't want to go see a line-up for 12 corps before Championships (several of which are contenders)?

Thoughts?

>>I think it would be in DCA's best interest to find incentives to get corps to travel to other locations outside the northeast so that it can expand its market. <<

I'm just curious as to where these incentives would come from ... we just went through a tense period of time where one of the cornerstone DCA shows, the Barnum, almost went by the wayside because of a lack of $$$ ... and that was with all local corps ... and I know at least one of the individuals responsible for saving the Barnum at the very last moment ... and it took a GREAT deal of concessions from DCA, the Barnum and the Corps ...

My question is where do you envision Cincinnati coming up with the money for an in-season Regional show? ... the busses alone would be a killer cost ...

I mean no disrespect with my question ... I'm just looking for some honest solutions to other areas hosting shows ...

Thanks,

Andy

• Like 1

Not sure but doesn't DCA have a two year contract in Rochester ,then it goes out for bids again .Its really time to look else where then the Northeast to hold Championships . The south has been growing pretty steady the last few years ,with a promise of more corps to come ,They just need a good shot in the arm to help grow interest in the region .I think if it contiues the south will have close to as many corps as the northeast .,Looking ahead i hope that DCA looks futher south then Maryland .What size crowd does the DCA southern regional get ? I know its all the southern corps but it be nice to see one or two others there from outside the mason /dixon line .

Not sure but doesn't DCA have a two year contract in Rochester ,then it goes out for bids again .Its really time to look else where then the Northeast to hold Championships . The south has been growing pretty steady the last few years ,with a promise of more corps to come ,They just need a good shot in the arm to help grow interest in the region .I think if it contiues the south will have close to as many corps as the northeast .,Looking ahead i hope that DCA looks futher south then Maryland .What size crowd does the DCA southern regional get ? I know its all the southern corps but it be nice to see one or two others there from outside the mason /dixon line .

ain't gonna happen. DCa needs to make $$$ to exist. one bad DCA and the circuit is dead. you need a place where fans will come out in numbers. sorry but the NE is it for now.

• Like 5

Well i think its already been said that DCA makes more money in Rochester then any where else ,between the hotel bookings of the corps ,we all know each corps is required to purchase or book a certain amount of rooms ,And Rochester is going all out to make DCA's 50th a big show .But reading between the lines many people here have said they have no desire to return to Rochester again .So it sounds like most or a good part on the monies coming in would

be from the corps and not the fan base .My last year in Rochester was 07 and again in 08 as a fan .But i have no desire to go back there .Maryland was a nice change ,but there has to be other area's that would love the buissness at the close of the summer season .I would not want to see a big show in Cinny till Cinn,Trad. runs a show with the corps closest or the southern tier where they complete in the southern regional .But to think of a big regional where no show has tested the waters would be a big mistake .Well lots of food for thought and DCA has two years to come up with some thing .

there are not 2 years to think about another site... yes, it's Rochester for 2014 and 2015 but beyond that? maybe - maybe not - but I'm sure that discussions are currently in process on the subject as it's not like you can wait till the day after DCA 2015 to decide... it's at least an 18 month preparation to host the championship...

As for travel, when will everyone wake up and smell the daisies? We fans are fortunate that the corps are willing to come to Rochester for Championships... the dollars and cents of travel is OUT OF SIGHT...

A long and expensive show for most DCA corps would be Western NY... do you see a whole bunch of shows up here? NOT!!! Why? How much would the average fan be willing to pay for a ticket and how much would a sponsor be willing to pay for a corps... One used to be able to put on a great show in Upstate NY for 15K - DCA is still trying to hold cost down but when negotiations for shows find top corps with 3 bus minimum having a trip to Rochester or Buffalo come in at a budget busting loss... they are unwilling to travel without the sponsor kicking in a HUGE and unmanageable amount of money - so it just isn't happening...

Fans fault? NO

DCA's fault? NO

Corps' fault? NO

Obama's fault? ??? partially

World Situation Fault? ??? partially

We (Drum Corps) are one very small activity - we are being whipped around by society and the changes being wrought throughout the world...

Once in a while, we need to just take a deep breath and be thankful that we have ANYTHING left of our long heritage... whether it's DCA or DCI... If you're a true fan, go out and support in any way you can... just maybe, the activity will survive, but stop shooting those who are doing all the survival work and realize that some change is inevitable and quite unavoidable... beyond our control...

Hope to see you all in Rochester Labor Day Weekend - I have been involved with DCA for 49 of its 50 years and I cherish every memory...

Edited by TomPeashey
  • Like 3

Thoughts?

Your beating a dead horse.