What corps is the biggest surprise this year?

Really impressed by Bloo & Cavies this year!

• Like 1

I have to say, while I'm impressed by Coats and Cavs, I'm not surprised. They both made huge staff moves in areas that they struggled last year, so its not crazy to think that those weaknesses would see improvement this year. Its good to see competitive gains as a result of those improvements.

My biggest surprises are probably:

Positive

Blue Knights - Looks like they may have a chance to break out of that bottom rung of finalists. Hard to say since its so early, but their spread from BD is in the same ball park as Madison's. Should make for an interesting story come San Antonio.

Negative

Boston - I really dig this show in concept, and its just not doing particularly well yet. Last I saw it was the Akron broadcast though, so who knows what it looks and sounds like now.

In general, this is a great year for drum corps. There are so many great shows out there and I can't WAIT for Indy (assuming I get to go this year).

• Like 2

Positive - Boston Crusaders. Their brass book is alreading one of my favorites of all time and by the end of the season once everything gets clean I am betting on this being one of my all time favs shows.

Negative - Colts. I am a huge fan of modern drum corps and quirky design and when they announced this show I basically started counting down till the first time I could see and hear them. I was so excited. But I have to say this show is the biggest let down I have ever had from show announcement to the actual product on the field in the 16 years I have been following the activity. I know it's only July 4th so I am hoping they will be able to make some major edits to get this show to what I thought it could be with this design team.

+ Coats. Oh my goodness yes.

- Crown to be honest. I was expecting so much better from them but I've seen this visual stuff before, and props are honestly not adding anything (I like props if they add to the design and this just aint cutting it). Must we look to *insert loud groan here from everyone who likes to deride HS Band* BOA for successful prop usage? There are plenty of shows with better prop integration than Crown this year. Tarpon, Marian Catholic, really any of the consistent finalists (mentioned Tarpon and Marian because I have seen exceptional prop usage really consistently from both programs). All integrate the props so much better while use them to enhance the show and typically do not look like just a bunch of clutter on the field.

Edit: Or look at Coats this year for great prop integration as well. It could have been a disaster, buuuuuuuuuuut it wasnt.

Edited by MelloMatt
  • Like 2

For me, The Cavaliers... no question about it.

Exactly
  • Like 1

For me, it's clearly Bluecoats. They are making the biggest statement so far. They are breath of fresh air in a time the activity found itself in a mire of too rapid change. They have returned fans to the same, natural emotion-thumping, non-intellectual states of approval enjoyed by audiences before any of the current members were even born. Certain elements of brass, percussion, movement, and pattern simply succeed, and always will. Here they are, all wrapped up in a shiny package with a twist, an given to us by ultra-talented group of performers that can keep up with the best out there.

Magnificent!

• Like 2

+ Coats. Oh my goodness yes.

- Crown to be honest. I was expecting so much better from them but I've seen this visual stuff before, and props are honestly not adding anything (I like props if they add to the design and this just aint cutting it). Must we look to *insert loud groan here from everyone who likes to deride HS Band* BOA for successful prop usage? There are plenty of shows with better prop integration than Crown this year. Tarpon, Marian Catholic, really any of the consistent finalists (mentioned Tarpon and Marian because I have seen exceptional prop usage really consistently from both programs). All integrate the props so much better while use them to enhance the show and typically do not look like just a bunch of clutter on the field.

Edit: Or look at Coats this year for great prop integration as well. It could have been a disaster, buuuuuuuuuuut it wasnt.

Also to add on Coats, they put together a wonderful fusion of avant garde and traditional. There are times I feel like this would be something Cadets would do and others when I am simply bewildered at what is playing out before me because I havent seen anything like it and I love every second of it. IMO they should take silver with Cadets grabbing gold.