Dekalb TOC

This looks like the one in the middle of nowhere between Minneapolis and Des Moines, right off the interstate.

Sir, that is impressive. It was taken near Hanlontown, IA according to my Facebook locator -- several years back.

Am I the only one who thinks "showing too much design to soon" is bogus? Like, how is it possible for a complete show at the beginning of the season score average mid season? Complete shows win. So how can a complete show not score high mid season? I mean, I understand judging a corps growth through out the season but if they already have an incredible show and then just clean it all year how can it be lacking in score. I'm just confused by this law.

It's not "showing too much too early" that kills a corps. Many people mistakenly say this. It is when a corps is unable to make the changes that will improve the show to the judges' likings. You cannot have a "complete" show in June because you do not know what the judges will think works or doesn't work. You also don't know what the kids can get clean. In that sense, a "complete" show will not happen until prelims (hopefully), as the staff will constantly be changing things to make sure it scores the best with the judges.

If for instance, a corps managed to come out guns blazing with a finals level show, I still think the judges could find ways to nitpick and drive the score down. After all, you have two months to make improvements. Any show can get better.

• Like 1

Home from the show. Some general thoughts:

Bluecoats seemed to be crowd favorite, at least from my vantage point. But there was strong crowd love for BD, Crown and Cavies as well. Crowd was a bit cooler with Cadets.

Coats have an impressive show, no doubt, and I am frankly surprised by their score and the spread. Now, I am a horn player, and can't really comment on percussion. The Coats' brass sounded wonderfully coherent and powerful, and they seemed to handle their difficult book with aplomb. This compared to Cavies, who are still obviously struggling with their horn book.

So if I had to guess the weakness in the Coats show, it would be the level of sophistication. Their show does not seem as internally logical as the Cadets, or as involving and sly as that of BD or Cavies, and is not quite as spectacular as Crown.

Other random notes (because it is late!):

- Thunderous goo is still with us. Was ugly obvious during parts of Cadets' show. Cavies too.

- Crown has speakers at the back of the field, which I think were amplifying the percussion pit at the rear 50. Was a little disorienting.

- You HAVE to hear Crown's show in person to really appreciate the widely dispersed percussion pits. The blast-off at the beginning is unlike anything I have heard, really a wow moment with the big concert bass drums rumbling across a huge 100 yard arc.

- On the other hand, seeing Cadets live did not add much to the experience. They seem the same on FN. Very clean, slick, kind of dull at times, and with a rather abrupt ending.

- Cavies had best silks by far.

- First half of Blue Stars show really not working for me. Their opener, "The Chairman Dances," (by John Adams) is a deceptively difficult piece, and Stars don't have a handle on it yet. (Listen to the original, if you get a chance, it is a lot of fun.)

- Sorry, did not see Phantom. We left early, because baby-sitter.

- TOC added small music groups before the show and at intermission. So outside stadium, there were little shows by Phantom's tubas, Cadets's (very serious) bass drums, and Crown's (very entertaining) small brass ensemble (played Cantina music from Star Wars, then Flight of the Bumblebee). At half-time, a Blue Devil's ensemble played Daft Punk's "Get Happy". Great idea!

Wow, apparently the Bloo skies are really falling.

/sarcasm

Guys, take a step back from the ledge. Take a breath. It's (still) only mid July. To be honest (I posted this last night as well), Bloo are significantly more dirty visually than Cadets, Crown, or BD. There's plenty of things that can still be fixed. If Bloo was whistle clean and still down 3.5, or if these were the scores from Allentown, then maybe the level of consternation I am seeing tonight would be warranted. However, neither is the case right now. So relax.

Besides, as a few cooler heads have already mentioned, even if this show were 12th, I would love it. I am sure the kids are digging the ovations they are surely getting at every show.

• Like 1

got the data from PR's calendar. i blame them ! (and thanks for the catch :-)

Perhaps they got wind they were going to lose the Back Yard Brawl. :)

All we have to do is get the burritos to march parades.

If last year was the year of the waffle, is this the year of the burrito (restaurant debatable)?

4093135476_19a2a4ce05.jpg

Except Madison won in Dekalb in 1995. Granted it was not TOC but they did beat the eventual 1995 champs Cavaliers.

And Scouts were 4th in DeKalb at 1988 Drum Corps Midwest Championships Finals, then went on to win the DCI title.

BOOO!

Del Taco or even Zantigo is MUCH better!

Hey; don't bring me into this. I'm a Taco John's devotee.

• Like 2

As a 'Nibiru' could one of y'all point me towards an explanation of this (G7) business. Is it related to comparative bell girth(s)? Was their a contest to decide? IMWTK. Love these discussions where I learn soooo much!

Thanks, Y'all. :cool: