Dekalb TOC

Boom!

Seriously, Cadets' choices can only be defended so far by referring to canon. In the original all the dialogue is spoken by one person without recordings of Lincoln interspersed (for obvious reasons). This creates a different effect than playing a recording of someone and then saying, "That is what he said". Maybe what Cadets are doing works just as well, maybe not, but simply pointing to the original is not necessarily sufficient.

(Long before I ever heard Copland's Lincoln Portrait, I encountered the "that is what he said" in a parody. Circa 1991, on the Dr. Demento show, there was a bit in which a solemn narrator quoted Dan Quayle with Copland's "Fanfare for the Common Man" playing in the background. ... And I see that the parody is mentioned on the Wikipedia page for Lincoln Portrait.)

So it makes sense to do it in the Lincoln part, because it mirrors the original Copland piece. But when The Cadets choose to carry that along to talk about FDR and Kennedy, and use that iconic "this is what he said" line to tie it back to the Lincoln piece...it's not sufficient? Just because Copland didn't have Roosevelt Portrait and Kennedy Portrait, too, and because some of the FDR and Kennedy quotes are actual audio clips of their actual voices? C'mon...

Whether you like the stage or not like the stage, like the narrative or hate the narrative; those kids are performing the hell out of that show. I've always thought highly of the audience of this activity in figuring things out. These show concepts presented by some very good drum corps are not hard to grasp if you just sit there (objectively) and watch/listen. Why does that seem to get lost on DCP? And if you haven't noticed BD and Cadets are the front runners and have been since they came out the gate. I'm still sticking with this is a two pony race, is your pony in the race? Mine is.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Like 1

Whether you like the stage or not like the stage, like the narrative or hate the narrative; those kids are performing the hell out of that show. I've always thought highly of the audience of this activity in figuring things out. These show concepts presented by some very good drum corps are not hard to grasp if you just sit there (objectively) and watch/listen. Why does that seem to get lost on DCP? And if you haven't noticed BD and Cadets are the front runners and have been since they came out the gate. I'm still sticking with this is a two pony race, is your pony in the race? Mine is.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

This post will go over well.

• Like 1

Couple pictures from Dekalb. Small Crown horn ensemble before the show, playing Flight of the Bumblebee. And the moon rising over the Cavies at the start of their show. Looked a lot more dramatic in real life, and seemed to echo the baleful red eye on the bass drums.

LvM1lRI.jpgcc1NXKU.jpg
Edited by quietcity
  • Like 3

Did anyone else notice the drone flying around last night at the Dekalb show? I wonder if DCI was using it for footage for upcoming promo video's.

Yes, they were trying to see the Cadets that were hiding behind that stage. The Great Wall of Allentown

• Like 1

A picture of the drone. It was hovering over us after we left the stadium. We waved, but it just kept....staring.

yf0S40p.jpg

So it makes sense to do it in the Lincoln part, because it mirrors the original Copland piece. But when The Cadets choose to carry that along to talk about FDR and Kennedy, and use that iconic "this is what he said" line to tie it back to the Lincoln piece...it's not sufficient? Just because Copland didn't have Roosevelt Portrait and Kennedy Portrait, too, and because some of the FDR and Kennedy quotes are actual audio clips of their actual voices? C'mon...

That is what I said. That is what N.E. Brigand said, er, typed.

Last year some people complained about Crown using narration, meaning particularly the love story section.

Other people defended Crown with the argument that they were only being faithful to their source material, Philip Glass's Einstein on the Beach.

There was a major flaw with that response. It also applies to such defenses of Cadets' show.

That is what I said.

Couple pictures from Dekalb. Small Crown horn ensemble before the show, playing Flight of the Bumblebee. And the moon rising over the Cavies at the start of their show. Looked a lot more dramatic in real life, and seemed to echo the baleful red eye on the bass drums.

LvM1lRI.jpgcc1NXKU.jpg

by the looks of this, I'd say you were very close to our seats. Good pics!! We were R20, #10-13 btw

Irving

Fan of the Arts

You make an excellent point Irving Fan Of The Arts. The show concepts are not hard to grasp. They are presented well. So well, in fact, the the narration is completely unnecessary. This is what Hockeydad said.