Dekalb TOC

Cadets, yeah, no…our group and the crowd were not into them…do we really need narration after the JFK quote going ‘That’s what he said, that’s what Kennedy said’? Um, we know, you just played it...Cadets just played a quote, stupid. Drill seemed in slow motion, guard, surprisingly good..... other positives….the drums coming from the back of side 2 and their closer

That is the poetic cannon of the original Lincoln Portrait. "That's what he said..." It's not meant to make you feel stupid, its supposed to be used as a reminder of the power of spoken word and the humbleness of the man who said it.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 3

That is the poetic cannon of the original Lincoln Portrait. "That's what he said..." It's not meant to make you feel stupid, its supposed to be used as a reminder of the power of spoken word and the humbleness of men who said it.

Don't even bother.

Did anyone else notice the drone flying around last night at the Dekalb show? I wonder if DCI was using it for footage for upcoming promo video's.

Visual analysis judge can now judge via drone from home and save flight/hotel costs. DCI has been looking into this. When they can fly low enough without safety issues, percussion next and brass next.

most likely Phantoms drone for a video to be coming out. We were surprised on how quiet it was.

Crown should of used it during their show and could of been aliens landing on the field. LOL =P or UFO's flying around

Did anyone else notice the drone flying around last night at the Dekalb show? I wonder if DCI was using it for footage for upcoming promo video's.

Yes, fun to watch. Waved at it. Hope it picked up our signs. The DCI Facebook score update had a picture from the North endzone balcony where the "pilot" was standing. My guess it is for DCI and not PR.

That is the poetic cannon of the original Lincoln Portrait. "That's what he said..." It's not meant to make you feel stupid, its supposed to be used as a reminder of the power of spoken word and the humbleness of the man who said it.

Boom!

Seriously, Cadets' choices can only be defended so far by referring to canon. In the original all the dialogue is spoken by one person without recordings of Lincoln interspersed (for obvious reasons). This creates a different effect than playing a recording of someone and then saying, "That is what he said". Maybe what Cadets are doing works just as well, maybe not, but simply pointing to the original is not necessarily sufficient.

(Long before I ever heard Copland's Lincoln Portrait, I encountered the "that is what he said" in a parody. Circa 1991, on the Dr. Demento show, there was a bit in which a solemn narrator quoted Dan Quayle with Copland's "Fanfare for the Common Man" playing in the background. ... And I see that the parody is mentioned on the Wikipedia page for Lincoln Portrait.)

• Like 1

So now we have to explain the narration? I thought the purpose of the narration was to clarify / enhance. Now we have to explain the explaining.

• Like 1

So now we have to explain the narration? I thought the purpose of the narration was to clarify / enhance. Now we have to explain the explaining.

Someone seemed unwilling to understand why certain phrases are in the narrative. Thus the (largely unneeded) explanation.