Bluecoats New Ending?

The pitch bend is actually the Bluecoats hornline which was recorded during camp. It is then played back through the synth during the show.

Man, I just wish that all those practice free throws I swished through the nets at my H.S. team practice could have been used in my real games.( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Yes, it's possible, but they wouldn't be able to play nearly as loud while half valving. Not even close.

So then, it is or is not probable that 'Coats could have pulled off this "pitch bend" using horns and no synths, at that volume level and as seamlessly as the synths?

Simply, do they get points for doing something creative they couldn't reasonably do in analog, or do they get docked points because they could have done it on the horns and chose the chicken (electronic) way out?

Edited by garfield

They'd have to half-valve it for the interval size they're doing, but possible.

It would be pure insanity for the staff to have the performers play their instuments there. The Show Design provides them maximum build up judging points there with virtually no performer brass instrument playing exposure whatsover there( until briefly at the end of it ). My guess, those asking for the Bluecoats to play during that entire wow segment perhaps do not fully understand the current judging sheets. If thats so, then that might help explain why some here are asking for the brass to play in its entirety.. and live... during that wow moment.

Edited by BRASSO

I'd rather them do the pitch bends with the brass, not the synthesizer. With the synthesizer, they are pretenders, not contenders.

Nah...

That's like calling out a magician for cheating (as if they could/should be doing REAL magic)... isn't the point of the special effect to be a special effect?

The effect is for the benefit of GE not the brass score. They don't use it to enhance their brass performance (nor do would they need to).

So then, it is or is not probable that 'Coats could have pulled off this "pitch bend" using horns and no synths, at that volume level and as seamlessly as the synths?

Simply, do they get points for doing something creative they couldn't reasonably do in analog, or do they get docked points because they could have done it on the horns and chose the chicken (electronic) way out?

There is no such thing as being "docked points". The scoring system is based on positive accounting... i.e. they start with a 0 and earn points until they have a score (this is a simplification, but essentially true).

Man, I just wish that all those practice free throws I swished through the nets at my H.S. team practice could have been used in my real games.( haha!)

I think he means that it is a sampled sound... not a recorded performance.

Man, I just wish that all those practice free throws I swished through the nets at my H.S. team practice could have been used in my real games. (haha!)

Surprised no one has knocked you for daring, even in jest, to compare drum corps to a sport.