Dallas Lake Highlands Show

And whoever said GE was just a matter of personal taste......... looks like they were right.

Well he kinda did.... Madison sits in 11th so he still has BK 11th in that caption. It won't stay that way.... Go BK big time score.

Edited by wesleyrp

I'm still on the Crown BandWagon but I have connecting flights in Allentown and Canton!

• Like 2

I was at the show tonight, and I have to wonder why DCI keeps having the show there? It's been there since at least 2006, and while the field is nice to perform on, the parking is terrible, there's nowhere for the corps to warm up at that isn't within view/earshot of the stands, and the stadium is so compact that it sometimes takes the entire length of a corps' performance to get from the beginning of the vomitroium ramp to your seat.

But anyways, onto the show...I spent the first half of the night watching warm ups and catching up with friends on the various staffs so I missed anyone that was on before intermission.

BK was the first on after intermission, and they were excellent. Wonderful color pallet from the guard (but when has BK ever not had a brilliant color scheme?). I was a little confused with what the orange staff things were supposed to be, but they were effective enough. I'm not sure the tarp, table, and panels really added to the show, but the corps itself was so strong that they didn't take away from the performance at all. I really like that the guard's uniform matched that of the corps proper. I wonder if they'll find new ways to match next year, or forgo it for something different entirely.

Now I have to admit that I am an alum of the Madison color guard, but, that being said, they were fantastic! I'm so proud of my brothers and they show they put on tonight. Is it the most perfect Scouts show ever? No. But I still loved every second of it. Some really great moments from the guard, and I can see marked improvement from past FanNetwork showings, even from Saturday night. They have a hard show and seem to be finally getting it under the belt. I'm still waiting for the featured dancer to be worked in more - honestly, I'm not sure if I would really notice if they took him out. I know a lot of alumni are disappointed in this year's offering, but from where I sat, they gave me just about everything I asked for.

Bloo was next and they were on fire! Excellent show from top to bottom. They know a medal is within reach, and they're going to fight for it. The show itself reminds me a lot of SCV 99 in it's brazen "in your face-ness" and flare. My only quabble is the ending - the jumps off the props are undeniably cool, but I'm still longing for a run and gun, Cadet's style ending to this show. Right now, the whole things feels just a tiny bit tacked on. I'd hate to have to compete against this corps, but I also don't think I'd mind losing to them.

If I hadn't of marched Madison, I would have loved to have been a member of the Cadets, and I would have loved to have marched this show. There was an issue with the mic tonight - it cut out about half way through the FDR piece, but you could still hear the narrator speaking his lines when the corps wasn't playing or was playing backfield. I loved the cumberbund changes, and I thought the final set of flags each having a different president's face on them was a nice touch. I picked out Bush 42 and Clinton pretty quickly, but I assume almost everyone else is in there somewhere. I've only seend BD on FN, but the Cadets are my pick to win it all.

Crown was last, and, from the guard's perspective at least, the had a rough run. Lots of phasing issues and thoughtless mistakes. At one point a member started spinning with the ballad flag during the opener. After about 25 seconds of work, he ran back to the sideline to await a time he could make a reentrance with his saber. Not sure how that happened (one pole was teal, the other purple...), but he recovered as best he could. Things got worse, unfortunately, when, because he had not done the opener, a girl didn't have a flag to use in the percussion feature. After miming the work for about 15 seconds, she also made her way to the front sideline to wait for the ballad to start. I've only seen this happen twice before...once in the BD winterguard's finals performance from 1996 and again in 2004 during an SCV show in Mississippi. I really don't understand how that sort of mistake happens...I wonder if, after the all trumpet brass feature a contra player has ever picked up a baritone? For me, a visual highlight of the show was the pit...when the corps "lifts off" the jump out of hiding underneath their instruments, and, when in the percussion feature when the frisbees are being thrown, the pit performers toss their mallets in a ripple that matches the rippled flag tosses that the guard is doing being them. I personally thing that this show has a little too much going on, concept-wise, but I do appreciate their attention to detail.

All in all, an excellent night of drum corps, and I can't wait to see these corps again in Little Rock!

• Like 3

I was at the show tonight, and I have to wonder why DCI keeps having the show there? It's been there since at least 2006, and while the field is nice to perform on, the parking is terrible, there's nowhere for the corps to warm up at that isn't within view/earshot of the stands, and the stadium is so compact that it sometimes takes the entire length of a corps' performance to get from the beginning of the vomitroium ramp to your seat.

But anyways, onto the show...I spent the first half of the night watching warm ups and catching up with friends on the various staffs so I missed anyone that was on before intermission.

BK was the first on after intermission, and they were excellent. Wonderful color pallet from the guard (but when has BK ever not had a brilliant color scheme?). I was a little confused with what the orange staff things were supposed to be, but they were effective enough. I'm not sure the tarp, table, and panels really added to the show, but the corps itself was so strong that they didn't take away from the performance at all. I really like that the guard's uniform matched that of the corps proper. I wonder if they'll find new ways to match next year, or forgo it for something different entirely.

Now I have to admit that I am an alum of the Madison color guard, but, that being said, they were fantastic! I'm so proud of my brothers and they show they put on tonight. Is it the most perfect Scouts show ever? No. But I still loved every second of it. Some really great moments from the guard, and I can see marked improvement from past FanNetwork showings, even from Saturday night. They have a hard show and seem to be finally getting it under the belt. I'm still waiting for the featured dancer to be worked in more - honestly, I'm not sure if I would really notice if they took him out. I know a lot of alumni are disappointed in this year's offering, but from where I sat, they gave me just about everything I asked for.

Bloo was next and they were on fire! Excellent show from top to bottom. They know a medal is within reach, and they're going to fight for it. The show itself reminds me a lot of SCV 99 in it's brazen "in your face-ness" and flare. My only quabble is the ending - the jumps off the props are undeniably cool, but I'm still longing for a run and gun, Cadet's style ending to this show. Right now, the whole things feels just a tiny bit tacked on. I'd hate to have to compete against this corps, but I also don't think I'd mind losing to them.

If I hadn't of marched Madison, I would have loved to have been a member of the Cadets, and I would have loved to have marched this show. There was an issue with the mic tonight - it cut out about half way through the FDR piece, but you could still hear the narrator speaking his lines when the corps wasn't playing or was playing backfield. I loved the cumberbund changes, and I thought the final set of flags each having a different president's face on them was a nice touch. I picked out Bush 42 and Clinton pretty quickly, but I assume almost everyone else is in there somewhere. I've only seend BD on FN, but the Cadets are my pick to win it all.

Crown was last, and, from the guard's perspective at least, the had a rough run. Lots of phasing issues and thoughtless mistakes. At one point a member started spinning with the ballad flag during the opener. After about 25 seconds of work, he ran back to the sideline to await a time he could make a reentrance with his saber. Not sure how that happened (one pole was teal, the other purple...), but he recovered as best he could. Things got worse, unfortunately, when, because he had not done the opener, a girl didn't have a flag to use in the percussion feature. After miming the work for about 15 seconds, she also made her way to the front sideline to wait for the ballad to start. I've only seen this happen twice before...once in the BD winterguard's finals performance from 1996 and again in 2004 during an SCV show in Mississippi. I really don't understand how that sort of mistake happens...I wonder if, after the all trumpet brass feature a contra player has ever picked up a baritone? For me, a visual highlight of the show was the pit...when the corps "lifts off" the jump out of hiding underneath their instruments, and, when in the percussion feature when the frisbees are being thrown, the pit performers toss their mallets in a ripple that matches the rippled flag tosses that the guard is doing being them. I personally thing that this show has a little too much going on, concept-wise, but I do appreciate their attention to detail.

All in all, an excellent night of drum corps, and I can't wait to see these corps again in Little Rock!

Thanks for the review. It gives another point of view about the shows.

I just want to mention, about BK's guard, that everything they do is in relation to "that one second" of one kind or another. So when you are looking at the table, chair and bench, tarp and panels and what they do around it, keep that in mind.

... Cadets ... I thought the final set of flags each having a different president's face on them was a nice touch. I picked out Bush 42 and Clinton pretty quickly, but I assume almost everyone else is in there somewhere. I've only seend BD on FN, but the Cadets are my pick to win it all.

Picking a nit: G.H.W. Bush was #41 and G.W. Bush was #43. B. Clinton was #42. (At least in the usual numbering system. If you count G. Cleveland only once, then Bush pere was #40 and Bush fils was #42. But it's not typically done that way.)

Great review!

Picking a nit: G.H.W. Bush was #41 and G.W. Bush was #43. B. Clinton was #42. (At least in the usual numbering system. If you count G. Cleveland only once, then Bush pere was #40 and Bush fils was #42. But it's not typically done that way.)

Great review!

D'oh! Should have known that! I eat at the restaurant 42 in Little Rock all the time. And for the record, it was Bush 43, I saw. :satisfied: