Dallas Lake Highlands Show

BK was the first on after intermission, and they were excellent. Wonderful color pallet from the guard (but when has BK ever not had a brilliant color scheme?). I was a little confused with what the orange staff things were supposed to be, but they were effective enough.

They are hands of a clock!

Love Lake Highlands' DC Shows..been goin' for many, many years... since they started. Have to get some merchandise this yr. Good luck to all in Plano.

Edited by PhillipSopper

I think people sometimes make the mistake of projecting their own values onto others...

I was just curious. Geez. I guess I should talk about taco bell.

• Like 2

The drama is building every day now.....what a compelling tour!

Crown has an incredibly demanding show, physically demanding, insane exposure to error. Mentally taxing. Crown is not finished despite many who are forecasting their demize. How can anyone count a corps out that has proven itself to never give up or quit. Amazing, talented young people with big hearts. Fantastic staff that knows how to get things done. Wherever the cards lay in the end, Crown will give their best effort all the way to the finish line.

It is the same with any sport. Michael Jordan spoke of it. Jimmy Johnson in Nascar spoke of it. It is incredibly difficult to defend a title. Your biggest competitor is yourself.

I agree with you about Crown's show and the demand of it--unfortunately there are men and women wearing green shirts that are thinking differently at the moment. As much as I hate to say it the fate of their season are in the hands of a judging panel and we are going to see a #### good drum corps finish 5th in Indy. And that could be Crown, Cadets, Blue Coats, or SCV. Just a very good year for drum corps. I will add this, I'm afraid we are not going to have a new champion this year. Someone will be adding another DCI championship trophy to their trophy case.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Like 2

I agree with you about Crown's show and the demand of it--unfortunately there are men and women wearing green shirts that are thinking differently at the moment. As much as I hate to say it the fate of their season are in the hands of a judging panel and we are going to see a #### good drum corps finish 5th in Indy. And that could be Crown, Cadets, Blue Coats, or SCV. Just a very good year for drum corps. I will add this, I'm afraid we are not going to have a new champion this year. Someone will be adding another DCI championship trophy to their trophy case.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Yeah, that only leaves one. I think you're right unless someone makes an Allentown push like Crown '09 to at least make things interesting.

No discussion of the Cadets narration that went dark mid-show. I wonder how that's judged. You could see the narrator emoting - but no audio!

Bluecoats have a swagger about them - and the stands seem to be building in their support of the corps. I don't think I've heard as much Blooing previously.

My first reading of BK's show - it's just gorgeous...not normal a fan of Denver...this version (and oddly those hideous uniforms up close - but fantastic from distance and in a group!) though has a little something different about them.

The Acadmey has a fun show - good on them for making good music entertaining without so much over-thinking.

Taking new folks to drum corps is a blast - their perspective and insight is priceless.

So thankful that the Denton show has evolved. This place really has been outgrown and the traffic and parking are miserable. Thank goodness for good drum corps once you block that out...

Long night - early day in office - sleepy day...

Go Bloo...

• Like 1

I've been going to the Lake Highlands show for a lot of years, and I love it. the stadium is steep & right on top of a nice artificial turf field. My last show this year where the brass lines will feel at their most powerful (while I love Allentown, the track really pulls the performers & sound away from the stands, and Indy, well, the Oil Can is the Oil Can). I have to say I enjoyed Cadets (I focused on their fabulous marching & drill this time) and Crown more than SA. I posted a full review of SA in the review section, so just some brief thoughts of last night:

Genesis - very solid effort again from this young corps. I look forward to seeing their growth!

Cascades - Much more solid than Denton. Feels like they have subdued their volumes a bit?

Jersey Surf - Struggling to have this show keep my attention. Lot's of down time in the show. Good power at times from the hornline and some nice, impactful ensemble flag moments.

Academy - Show continues to grow. Still not the quality of hornlines Academy had for several years late in the last decade, but coming along nicely. The closing British sets & flag moments are great, as is the pit feauture which is a lot of fun to watch.

Crossmen - Getting stronger & stronger. Great guard. Hoping the tempos pick up just slightly. Great to hear that Crossmen groove this year.

Blue Knights - 4 viewings in & this is still my favorite show this summer. Just takes you to an entirely different place if you open up your heart & mind. LOVE IT.

Madison Scouts - Show grew on me a bit over SA. Ensemble seems to be tightening up a bit, and the horn line had more clarity. Nicely done.

Bluecoats - Some of the effects in the show lose a bit of their wow after multiple viewings. At the same time, the horn lines & drum lines just keep get astoundingly better. Great performance last night. The final ending is a bit of a let down at this point.

Cadets - Ok, so this time I tried to tune out the narration (which is way too much) and enjoyed the show much better. Amazing visual proficiency for this point in the season in what is the best drill on the field this summer. Appreciated the show much more than in San Antonio. Ending is still lacking to my taste.

Crown - Upon 3rd viewing I've warmed up to the show a bit, though still my least favorite since 2002. Still, the last 4 minutes are more entertaining, and the hornline is a a joy to listen to when they aren't just riffing for the sake of riffing. A clear 3rd last night IMO.

Had several newcomers with me, and their favorties all surprised me. One loved Cadets & Scouts most, one loved Crown, one loved Blue Knights, and one loved Bluecoats. Go figure! :)

• Like 1

No discussion of the Cadets narration that went dark mid-show. I wonder how that's judged. You could see the narrator emoting - but no audio!

Bluecoats have a swagger about them - and the stands seem to be building in their support of the corps. I don't think I've heard as much Blooing previously.

My first reading of BK's show - it's just gorgeous...not normal a fan of Denver...this version (and oddly those hideous uniforms up close - but fantastic from distance and in a group!) though has a little something different about them.

The Acadmey has a fun show - good on them for making good music entertaining without so much over-thinking.

Taking new folks to drum corps is a blast - their perspective and insight is priceless.

So thankful that the Denton show has evolved. This place really has been outgrown and the traffic and parking are miserable. Thank goodness for good drum corps once you block that out...

Long night - early day in office - sleepy day...

Go Bloo...

Thanks for sharing the perspective from the actual show... first I'm hearing about it

I do think "certain types" of programs sell a bit better in Texas than others..

• Like 1