Lack of "wow" drill moves

The last couple of years, including this year, I have noticed a lack of drill moments/moves, whatever one wants to call them in modern drum corps that make my jaw drop and go WOW!

For me these were best represented by Cadets in the 90's, and Cavaliers, SCV, and Cadets in the 00's, and Carolina Crown the past several years with Leon May at the helm. What is the reason for this?

Sure Michael Gaines departure has a lot to do with it, but also Cadets getting away from "run and gun". Is it the emphasized focus on body movement and simultaneous responsibilities? Or just that corps are straying away from anything that is too hard to clean?

This is an aspect of DCI that I really miss. I want something like Star's Cross to Cross again, or the folding block from SCV '99 or the entire Cavaliers '06 show.

Love this year's shows, but definitely an element I miss.

we'll see some wow with Cadets new ending... at least that's the rumor...

I agree overall it is not as prevalent - the "Golden Age" of drill was essentially 83-91 with Cadets/Star/Cavaliers and then with Gaines in the 2000s

You gotta love this year's SCV spelling out "SCV" during the company front near the end of the show. Hard to catch at first, but really cool once you see it.

• Like 2

I thought Crown's rotating 3D cube and pyramid were pretty cool.

I agree Gloryah, just not quite at the jaw dropping level, but very cool nonetheless!

I completely agree, especially this year. Blue Devils and Cadets have few wow moments--the Bluecoats--mainly theirs come from their sound in the ballad, the pitch bend, and the jumps, Cavaliers move slower as well, Phantom's drill for me is not that clear, and I haven't seen SCV yet. I feel there is lots of slow deliberate marching but not much energetic moves this year.

Boston has potential wows if they execute the triangles, but the windmill pyramid is new and the G7 drill was a "wow, did they just form G7?" Guess they've done away with the two rotating circles.

Last August, skywhopper had a whole thread about drill moves: Coolest Drill Moves of 2013. Lots of gifs.

See also Michael Boo's thread What did you not catch upon first viewing?

Boston has potential wows if they execute the triangles, but the windmill pyramid is new and the G7 drill was a "wow, did they just form G7?" Guess they've done away with the two rotating circles.

I mentioned this in the Boston thread, but they also fit in a hammer-and-sickle between the "B A C" and the rotating windmill.

Sure Michael Gaines departure has a lot to do with it

Don't see how Gaine's leaving has any impact on the lack of "wow" moves from other writers.