Last Minutes Changes you'd like to see for Finals

If there were a few tweeks or changes you thought would benefit a corps show and were realistic, what would they be? (I know we want Cadets stage to go away but it will not)

1) I wish The Cavaliers would mic their Marimba Feature (If they do I apologize, it does not sound loud on FN)

2) Bluecoats add the tag ending where all the tumbling goes across the field. I like the new drill and extended horn impact, but all those ramps and jumps were killer. Are they gone for good or did they take them out for the new ending only to be added once again?

3) No secret, Cadets a more rapid ending with more drill.

4) If Crown would come in closer for their ballad (say in between the 40-40 yard lines) I feel there would for sure be more impact, that ballad does not seem to get the crowd that excited, I like it but feel it is missing something, maybe impact....

Edited by ohbaby

I'd like to see Phantom do a symbolic beheading of a swan in the end..( although now that I think of it, this might give the folks at PETA a case of the vapors.)

• Like 3

1. I wish SCV had a fast and powerful ending.

2. Crown do a company front in the ballad rather than expanding the line across the field

3. Crown change the final chord or redo the progression for the last bit of the closer. By the time they're done, it doesn't sound like they're actually done.

4. Cadets add enthusiasm and energy to the show. It seems stale and flat right now. Appalachian spring (one of my favorite drum corps pieces) can be played with a lot more enthusiasm than they are right now.

5. Bluecoats extend the final chord

6. Phantom rework the entire closer. Please. (I know it's probably too late for that now though).

More fire. More things actually on fire. Why is this so hard??

• Like 5

Madison Scouts:

The Madison Scouts that I know and love don't do musical " soft endings "

Madison Scouts doing a brass line soft ending is like watching a 5 star restaurant's Chief Executive Chef make up a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white for us.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

Madison Scouts:

Madison Scouts doing a brass line soft ending is like watching a 5 star restaurant's Chief Executive Chef make up a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white for us.

I concur with your statement. It just leaves me flat every time.

Madison Scouts:

I'm sitting in my car still laughing at your comparison - the perfect example!

• Like 1

2) Bluecoats add the tag ending where all the tumbling goes across the field. I like the new drill and extended horn impact, but all those ramps and jumps were killer. Are they gone for good or did they take them out for the new ending only to be added once again?

They still have the one guy (hornline member, not guard) who runs 40 yards down field and leaps further than any previous member did..... it's all focused after the final hit.

But unfortunately BOTH multi-cam feeds from Nashville and Atlanta MISSED IT, so it was available on the high cam only. Which now DCI does not have available as VOD.

• Like 1

If there were a few tweeks or changes you thought would benefit a corps show and were realistic, what would they be? (I know we want Cadets stage to go away but it will not)

Be careful of the use of "we." Despite the vocal majority on DCP, there are many fans of the Cadets show that like it just the way it is...narration, stage, and everything else. It's a stately, beautifully designed production with subtle elegance and artistry that will not appeal to everyone.

As for the question at hand, I want the corps to do what's in the best interest of the marching members. Don't make crazy changes for the sake of a score if it's not in the best interest of learning, performing, cleaning, or if it doesn't fit the timeline of rehearsals and what is possible between now and Finals.

I may not like every show, but I am thrilled by the performances of all these young people because they are achieving and working hard and learning a lot about performing. In the end, I celebrate that. And if I were to say something about this "change your ending" phenomena that many feel is the only way to save a show, in most cases (if you look through the years) a new ending does little good. It adds hype in most cases and nothing more. Sure, for a few corps it makes sense. For a lot of them, it will likely muck things up and take time away from cleaning other important elements. In the end it may cost several corps a place or two (lower) come Finals.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3

Madison Scouts change the closer to Malaguena. Because why the #### not. They could even do a "time trip" and use G bugles just so people will be happy :p

• Like 3