BD Guard - Appropriate?

see the first paragraph of my original comment:

Just because a type or style of clothing has been worn before in the activity, or skimpier styles are commonplace outside of it, doesn't mean it's okay. People have been committing all types of horrible crimes for centuries, but they're still crimes. Just because someone else does it is never an acceptable reason for anything, no matter the social perception of the behavior.

Read my 2nd sentence. Do YOU think clothing stores are condoning the sexualization of women?

Read my 2nd sentence. Do YOU think clothing stores are condoning the sexualization of women?

At one point in history, yes. As the styles become more socially acceptable, designing and selling clothes like that becomes part of the norm. It's kind of a disturbing moment when you realize that prostitutes in 18th and 19th, and early 20th century would've been wearing more modest clothing than teenage girls today.

I'm not disagreeing, I tried to make it clear that I'm trying to be an outside voice on this, but why do you think that? For me, the argument for the opposite is a little more sound.

Ummm...why do I think what?

Ummm...why do I think what?

Why do you think that the show design does not inadvertently condone sexualization? Not saying you're wrong, I'm just having a tough time seeing that side of the question.

Mom of a 10-year old daughter here. Would I want her to wear that outfit for shows all summer long? Well, if I had to be completely honest with myself I'd say no, I probably wouldn't. But, as an 18-year old, my daughter would have her own emerging adult identity and I would hope she had become a strong enough young lady to be able to separate her show character and her true character.

• Like 4

At one point in history, yes. As the styles become more socially acceptable, designing and selling clothes like that becomes part of the norm. It's kind of a disturbing moment when you realize that prostitutes in 18th and 19th, and early 20th century would've been wearing more modest clothing than teenage girls today.

Also you're committing a bit of a fallacy in terms of your analogy. Crimes are on a completely different level/universe than what people wear.

Edited to change built to bit*

Edited by Cappybara

Society is! In the end, it's about making some money. It goes up and down the buying chain.

Mom of a 10-year old daughter here. Would I want her to wear that outfit for shows all summer long? Well, if I had to be completely honest with myself I'd say no, I probably wouldn't. But, as an 18-year old, my daughter would have her own emerging adult identity and I would hope she had become a strong enough young lady to be able to separate her show character and her true character.

I agree with you whole-heartedly. But isn't part of what makes a character so convincing the ability of the actor or actress to find the character's qualities in themselves and amplify them?

They're dirty and too revealing. Love them!

• Like 4

Also you're committing a built of a fallacy in terms of your analogy. Crimes are on a completely different level/universe than what people wear.

Unless what people wear is a crime.

Other cultures have different thresholds too, and at different times, different things are acceptable.