Allentown. . . DAY TWO !

It's interesting that Cadets are considered cheesy (and I agree that they are).

And yet everyone misses the antics of the Bridgemen the old Velvet Knights.

These corps invented cheese, yet they are revered. I don't get it.

(I too miss these corps in the "they are another corps that has folded that I wish hadn't" sense)

Bridgemen and VK were not cheesy, they were corny. Different food group all together.

• Like 4

There's a difference in sappy cheese and intentional/funny cheese

you mean sappy cheese like another thread talking about all the old tear at your heat music we loved to hear BITD...many today would consider that very " SAPPY " and extremely " CHEESY" same can be said of anniversary shows

I don't care what anyone else thinks, but The Cadets put on a clinic tonight. Just stellar performance in all aspects. Clean feet and legs, amazing drill, awesome music, incredible phrasing and shaping, the Guard was breathtaking, and other than the tarps I love the ending. Yes, they can ditch the tarps and the audio quotes after the last narration. Short of that, I found the show to be inspiring, breathtaking, and spirited in all the right places. The pacing of scenes, the staging (while not as good as BD), and their transitions from section to section...WOW!

Despite the criticism I see here on DCP there are those of us who love this show. So there is a place for this, just as there is a place for that Amazing Bluecoat production, or Cavaliers, or Blue Devils. The crowd loved them tonight (expected for sure), but I think they will do well in Indy. To me that was a 96.5 performance. Let's see what happens.

In other words, it's great except for all the qualifiers. How does a show that pleases SOME of the audience beat a show like Bluecoats has that pleases EVERYONE?

Edited by drangin
  • Like 1

I know the Bridgeman Alumni are there to just have fun, but it is a little sad to me. I prefer the remember the once proud awesome Bridgemen of my youth.

That's a fair observation of any alumni corps. You should check out the DCA competing corps though...they are a whole different animal.

• Like 1

Ok. I'm 47 which makes me a dinosaur on here. So many my age, so etudes even me, talk about how much better it was in our day. IMHO Bridgemen Alumni aren't helping our cause. I do realize it's a fun group. But, the original Brisgemen were super fun. And good. And competitive!! These guys and gals sound like they are having the time of their lives reliving the glory days. But that's about it. Like a frat reunion in front of an audience. And broadcast live across the country.

Edited by euphjock

"Hun, have you seen my chops? " "Yes dear, they're on the shelf next to your bugle and AARP card."

Really though, kudos to them! I sure wouldn't be able to perform a show without a lot of work.