If you could take over a corps, and money isn't an issue...

Welcome back, Muchachos!

Yup.. Welcome back "Jersey Bad Boys !!

• Like 1

I'd take over the Blue Devils and prepare my fingers for the championship rings.

The corps would not matter. The full Blue Devils staff would be the ticket to winning.

What the heck is it with you people and "winning"? All it is to you is win win win. Do you think winning really matters?? It doesn't.

Winning a trophy proves diddly squat. Proves nothing at all. It's merely incidental. An unentertaining show (and I mean that in the objective sense) is just that. Judges don't judge entertainment. So who gives a crap? I wouldn't sell my soul for a gold medal, and if money weren't an issue, I wouldn't take the easy way out to achieve an objective.

Edited by BoyWonder1911

What the heck is it with you people and "winning"? All it is to you is win win win. Do you think winning really matters?? It doesn't.

Sorry BW, but winning is part of the American culture. Try doing away with scores of any activity and see what happens. Speculate where this country would be if the country didn't win military conflicts. I imagine somewhere during your life there is something you did better than someone else and felt more satisfied than if you had done it poorly. Since the majority of folks like competing with results, just sit back and enjoy. Edited by Ghost
  • Like 3

Phantom Regiment

I'd basically take SCV's staff.

Get JD Shaw back as brass caption head and arranger, have Matt Harloff as co-caption head, get Paul Rennick back, bring in Pete Weber for Visual, and Sal Salas for colorguard.

My ultimate goal would be to get Phantom to innovate drill wise, bring back the Phantom sound with even more power (with the help of Harloff), get the musical writing of Paul Rennick, and maintain the elegance of the PR guard.

All while creating shows that move away from the same old storylines every single year.

• Like 1

Winning a trophy proves diddly squat. Proves nothing at all. It's merely incidental. An unentertaining show (and I mean that in the objective sense) is just that. Judges don't judge entertainment. So who gives a crap? I wouldn't sell my soul for a gold medal, and if money weren't an issue, I wouldn't take the easy way out to achieve an objective.

So confused by your whole statement. As Ghost said...winning and losing is a part of American Culture, hell its a part of the world wide culture. but we'll just stick to DCI/Drum Corps in general.

So, you're trying to tell us that you've never looked at a score? You just go to shows, then leave before they announce the scores, then never look anywhere on here including DCP and see any scores?? Like, with 609 post's here on DCP you've never ever talked about how you felt a certain corps, any corps, was getting the shaft score wise or judge wise? or how you felt to yourself that a certain corps is better than another one and didn't get a good enough score? or how a certain corps won and there's no way you thought they should have? or how a certain corps won a show and you were happy or felt satistifed?

Is that what you're trying to tell us here??

and I'm only talking about Drum Corps here...I could appy the same logic your whole life...you've never felt that way before as stated above? and if you marched in a Drum Corps at one time in your life than I KNOW that isn't true.

Winning...and losing, is what we do.

Losing only makes us stronger, or should, if it doesn't, than your corps or an individual, needs new staff, coach or role model.

Winning is just the satifaction of completing a task or goal.

• Like 1

Who would you take over, and who would you want on your staff? Below is mine...

I'd take over Spirit of Atlanta and would want to assemble the following staff:

Executive Director: Jeff Fiedler - SCV

Director: Mark Arnold - Blue Knights

Brass: Donnie VanDoren / Brad Green - Madison Scouts

Percussion: Mike McIntosh - Cavies

Guard: Eric Babula - Cadets

Visual: Jeff Sacktig - Cadets

Design: Keith Potter - Carolina Crown

Yeah, I'd be happy to land this bunch.

If money was truly not an issue....I would buy DCI, WGI and DCA and make it all one big organization. I would take away all the variables between them and make it one smooth running operation. DCI and DCA would still compete in the summer, as WGI would in the winter...but I would make them all much more visible as I feel our organization really isn't at the moment. Too many spoons stirring the pot. I would take away the big corps power of their directors making decisions so they could focus on their corps, not everyone elses. Scoring would be radically different, well thought out and very clear for everyone to understand. Judges would still be a part of the show but their roles would flow better with the score sheet. Slotting would be a thing of the past and have no place in my organization. Fans would become a integral part of the process as fans are what pays the bills and fans have future sons and daughters to keep the org alive. An app would be made across all mobile platforms that fans could use to help judge the show, it wouldn't be the total score, but it would be a factor, much more than it is now. Corporate sponsors would take care of the rest. :ninja::ninja:

2020 Summer Music Games sponsored by Pepsi and you, the fans!

Sure sure, that would be a huge undertaking with lots and lots of issues...but you said money was no object. lol :silly:

• Like 2

Here is an easy thought experiment: what would DCI be like if it did not include competition at all? Would this increase or decrease the level of entertainment?

Quote from BoyWonder1911 in the "secret weapon" thread.

"Hmm...I've actually thought about this myself before...and never have found an answer either.

I've thought maybe it should be deployed in Prelims, to give the judges a chance to ponder it until Finals...but then remember the judges in Prelims aren't always the Finals judges...are they?

Finals night could be too risky...one shot in the dark at the target, either hit or miss...

But I really think the staff (and us, for that matter) should think about an addition that will add to the show's entertainment.

Cadets 2011 Angels and Demons...putting those "rays of light" tarps on the field did nothing for me...and to be honest, I don't think it did anything for the judges, either. I thought they would win without it, and I think the judges probably felt the same.

If a corps does add something, hopefully it adds to the entertainment, and not something they throw in just to raise the ante, if you will."

This sir is a quote that has to do with scores...so when you say it's not about winning and say it doesn't matter??? but then you post this...??? you can see where the confusion lies.