To those who REALLY dislike Cadets show:

this could be said any year for several corps. but I guess it needed it's own thread.

No Jeff - it really didn't...

I dont think its the G7 thing with most, Most are over it, totally , plus BD was part of it so were most of the top corps so unless its a HOP thing . Which if thats the case makes the opinon on a show even less creditable IMO

This show isn't hated on any level like past BD shows. This is just drama to induce sympathy.

• Like 5

No Jeff - it really didn't...

I was being sarcastic. BD was booed or heckled in the past. Cadets aren't. If anything they just aren't getting a huge reaction which to some equates hate

• Like 2

I agree with the people who have said where was this type of post when BD was getting most of the criticism for their productions in the past however, I do not agree with booing or making negative remarks in the stands that other fans can hear about any corps before, during or after their performance, (unless of course you are blooing BC) no matter how you feel about the particular show. Also, I am not a huge fan of the Cadets program this year, but if I was fortunate enough to be able to be in Indy, I would give them a healthy dose of applause because I would still appreciate the talent of the corps, their performance level, and the sheer velocity of their drill.

Edited by jmc5682

I was being sarcastic. BD was booed or heckled in the past. Cadets aren't. If anything they just aren't getting a huge reaction which to some equates hate

I know man - If someone is a Cadets homer and someone else doesn't think their all that great it equates to hate. For me though? I absolutely hate that they have yet again brought needless annoying narration as the focus of an otherwise well performed show. If i were a member of that hornline or drumline I'd feel like the design staffed had failed me.

Where was this post the past 2 years for BD? :tounge2:

Oh believe me, I felt the same way about many DCP folks and their reaction to BD the last several years, as I really enjoyed those shows and grew tired of the same people whining and complaining about the same things in every thread over and over. (I though the 2013 BD show was one of the coolest things I've ever seen on a football field, and it was leaps and bounds my favorite show of last year.) And yes, much of what I wrote today in starting this thread was hyperbole, but that was partially the point of writing it. It DOES ring true for every year when there are those few shows which seem to channel more negativity around here than others. This year, I just sensed it a lot more in reading show threads where the Cadets were present or in the main Cadets thread. So I wrote what I wrote and I stand by it.

In the top drum corps today:

• Aren't most of the members fairly experienced at what drum corps is all about?
  • Aren't the majority on the higher end of the DCI age range (e.g. 20+) and no longer really "kids"?
  • Isn't what corps you decide to try out for largely a choice and not something someone forced on you?

Basically, everyone with any experience with this activity knows which corps engender controversy and which ones don't. If you are going to join a corps that tends to get mixed reactions, you would know that even before your first rehearsal. Expect it, even.

I don't boo any corps. But, I also don't subscribe to the attitude that these are immature kids who went into this expecting standing ovations from everyone in the audience. These are intelligent young adults. If they were the "everyone gets a trophy " type, they wouldn;t be in drum corps in the first place.

(Keep in mind, that I'm not referring to the lower ranked corps who actually do have members who are in high school and marching their first year in drum corps)

Edited by barigirl78

I don't really get this thread. Sure, the show is not popular, but it's not really despised. The OP seems to be under the impression that some are going to boo and jeer the actual performance. Weird.

While am at it, a quick observation. Whenever there is widespread negativity about the design of a certain show there's a tendency for the defenders of the show and the corps to hide behind "the kids". Which is funny since actual criticism of "the kids" - regarding, say, performance issues - usually goes unremarked and unnoticed. In fact the entire activity is predicated on intense, ongoing criticism of the paying marching members. "The kids" aren't sensitive to it, they tend to be pretty tough. It's the adults that can be whiny, petulant prima donnas when someone dares criticize their "art".

• Like 4