Staying classy

Things have changed so much with social media. I would hate to think of the crazy stuff we did/said back in the day being captured for eternity on the net! Was the Cadets pic with FU BD stupid? yes! Reason to get sent home before Finals? I hope not! I like the punishment of the BD shirt for a day!

Yeah, I'm deeply grateful there was no Facebook or smartphones to capture my own shenanigans. I mean I guess we could have gone to an internet cafe to post on Myspace or something. Of course even that (relatively) short amount of time ago it didn't occur to us that we needed to capture, record, and publicize our every waking moment.

Up until last year I was volunteering for a top corps (competitive with BD) that my sibling was marching in. "FU Blue Devils" would be among the nicer things I heard said about them. Of course the Devs can give as good as they get. People whine and moan about DCP, but things are a million times nastier out on tour.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm deeply grateful there was no Facebook or smartphones to capture my own shenanigans. I mean I guess we could have gone to an internet cafe to post on Myspace or something. Of course even that (relatively) short amount of time ago it didn't occur to us that we needed to capture, record, and publicize our every waking moment.

Up until last year I was volunteering for a top corps (competitive with BD) that my sibling was marching in. "FU Blue Devils" would be among the nicer things I heard said about them. Of course the Devs can give as good as they get. People whine and moan about DCP, but things are a million times nastier out on tour.

I've got pictures of some of the messages left on the field during 92 retreat but I won't be posting them on the internet. (They're actually tame by comparison.) I also have some of the 94 rookie initiations that won't be posted either, LOL.

People shouldn't be so naive. These kids are competing and nasty stuff gets said about the opposition all the time, but it's just talk. At the end of the day there's mostly mutual respect. You don't even want to know what kind of stuff we were saying about other corps on tour.

Edited by mboogey73

Yea, as a Devils alumnus, I found the whole thing pretty interesting. I'm sure the two Devils alums on the brass staff at Cadets dealt with the issue appropriately, like the "teaching moment" it is. I would have made the offending member wear a Blue Devils shirt all day today in rehearsal :)

This. Because if you wear another corps shirt, you get tackled and the shirt is torn off you. So I would make him continuously put it back on. All freaking day.

• Like 1

This. Because if you wear another corps shirt, you get tackled and the shirt is torn off you. So I would make him continuously put it back on. All freaking day.

Or forbid other corps members from tearing it off, but rather address him as "BD fan X" or some other goofy title. And post pics of this to the net.

How did my old shoes get on tour ?

• Like 5

Who cares. Everyone hates everyone else. They just don't admit it.

• Like 2

We need something more exciting to talk about. We've made a hill out of mole hill.

• Like 1

Classy schmassy! This is competitive drum corps, everyone! I'd much rather see the spirit shown by these "f u" shoes in a highly competitive activity like DCI than to have a non-competitive, we're-all-winners, everyone-gets-a-trophy, "education"-based, politically correct, 2-4-6-8-who-do-we-appreciate, kumbaya activity. If anyone is truly offended by this type of thing, then I suggest they go to their local symphony or something.

And for the record, I'm not at all a fan of Cadets' show this year and I am often times a BD honk. Stuff like these shoes is par for the course for a competitive activity, and IMO should be perfectly understandable to MMs and superfans like most of us here.

Grow some skin!~

• Like 2