2014 Drum Corps International World Championships World Class Finals

I agree in theory. But by giving any corps a perfect score, you're basically saying that there is no room for improvement. I guess I've always felt (and been taught) that there is no such thing as perfection. But it's the attempt to get there that makes the hard work worth it, and so much fun.

That's not what it means at all. It just means that they scored 20 out of the possible 20 points that were available. There is no such thing as perfection in this activity.

No they don't. Just because someone doesn't understand, doesn't mean they have to reconsider the way they have done it for years.

Can't be that long, since corps used to leave in order of placement.

I agree in theory. But by giving any corps a perfect score, you're basically saying that there is no room for improvement. I guess I've always felt (and been taught) that there is no such thing as perfection. But it's the attempt to get there that makes the hard work worth it, and so much fun.

If you're still using the word perfect, then you don't agree in theory. The word perfect shouldn't enter the conversation. You can't give out a "perfect score" because it doesn't exist. No number you can give out can indicate perfect. All it can indicate is "I'm out of numbers". When you see a group given a perfect sub caption award before the last corps of the night, then you can start to be concerned, because that's a judgement that precludes the possibility that someone else could be better. However, since that didn't happen, the fact that those numbers were given out means basically nothing. It certainly doesn't indicate that "there's no room for improvement" because that concept doesn't exist in the scoring system.

When a scoring system is based on rewarding achievement (as opposed to demerits for errors) there is no such thing as a perfect score. The numbers are simply a vehicle to get the rank and spread correct. Who cares if the winning score was a 99.65 or a 23.4. The corps were in the right order with the right spread. Who cares about the math that got them there.

OK, I'll play. Then you can just as easily say then why care at all about the fact that this was a record high score?

DCI seems to love publicizing that fact. If it's only about spreads and not about the math, then we need to stop milking the cow that has become the endless fountain.

• Like 1

just back to the Hotel from Finals. Was awesome hearing the crowd reaction for Bluecoats taking 2nd. Congrats Bluecoats. Haven't much looked at the recap yet. One thing that came across after the corps were dismissed was how Blue Devils/Bluecoats/Crown all merged into one big pile congratulating each other. What was shocking was Cadets, standing still in shock, doing nothing and darting out of the stadium. That came across very bad.

You should watch literally any other finals retreat they have ever been in before you judge the way The Cadets reacted.

• Like 1

That's not what it means at all. It just means that they scored 20 out of the possible 20 points that were available. There is no such thing as perfection in this activity.

So, if there were one more week left in the season, the Blue Devils kids really couldn't improve? Not just their score, but their own individual performance?

Park and Blow scores a perfect GE and Viz. Congrats DCI. Way to send a message. As to the real Viz corps like SCV and Crown, you guys keep doing what you're doing. And the real GE winner, BLOO, how they can ignore an entire stadium of DCI players and fans, well, let's just say we all saw the same thing. BD, congrats on a great show and an amazing hornline.

You wanna know what DOESN'T score perfect GE & Vis: dirt. Which Bluecoats had significantly all season.

Worry about your team fixing visual problems in order to win: be thrilled they played an amazing show that got them their highest score/placement evert.

Acting bitter an hour after your corps did historically well is lame: especially when they had noticeable, egregious (relatively speaking) visual issues

• Like 3

I totally get the explanation given by folks in the know, but there's got to be a better way to do it. What they did tonight...the perception...was not reflective of the classy organization we all know them to be. And it's a lesson they need to learn, hell, every one should learn...that perception sometimes trumps intent.

• Like 2

You should watch literally any other finals retreat they have ever been in before you judge the way The Cadets reacted.

He's not saying that they did it deliberately, my dad who knows nothing about finals was wondering why they left before everyone else. I didn't think it looked classless, it's tradition, I get it. But to someone who isn't too into the activity or doesn't know they did that under tonights circumstances, it could certainly come across as looking that way.

• Like 1

Park and Blow scores a perfect GE and Viz. Congrats DCI. Way to send a message. As to the real Viz corps like SCV and Crown, you guys keep doing what you're doing. And the real GE winner, BLOO, how they can ignore an entire stadium of DCI players and fans, well, let's just say we all saw the same thing. BD, congrats on a great show and an amazing hornline.

Nice back-handed compliment after your totally opinionated statements ....