2014 Drum Corps International World Championships World Class Finals

Haven't been to finals since 2010.... Sure glad I decided to make the trip this year. It was a great night of entertainment and a great night for the activity.....a night I'll remember for a long time.

• Like 1

In regards to BD congratulating a corps that has beat them, I am glad to see them do that. That is the spirit of DCI in my mind. But my personal experience as an FMM remains the same, I cannot change that. At that time when we beat BD we heard nothing but jeers and classless comments. Heck, in 04 we road the BD busses during tour of champions and saw "FTV" and "FTC" on the blinds of those busses. So again, my personal experience with BD is not positive, though I am glad to see them acting in a classy manner now.

Well, in those days (and going back to when I marched) we heard the same crap from Cavies. Members are always going to talk crap, but...

I really think things changed as a result of a couple two factors:

1. The internet, and communication being way easier than ever. Its far more common to have friends in other corps now, way more than back in the day.

2. The TOC. Call it G7 or whatever, but those seven corps doing that many shows where they rotate performance order each night has been nothing but positive for everyone involved, and the corps are tighter as a result. I know that was the case with Crown and Devils last year (plus the West Coast trip and the mutual gatherings and picnic they had), and between Devils, Crown and Bluecoats this year.

In regards to BD congratulating a corps that has beat them, I am glad to see them do that. That is the spirit of DCI in my mind. But my personal experience as an FMM remains the same, I cannot change that. At that time when we beat BD we heard nothing but jeers and classless comments. Heck, in 04 we road the BD busses during tour of champions and saw "FTV" and "FTC" on the blinds of those busses. So again, my personal experience with BD is not positive, though I am glad to see them acting in a classy manner now.

Would you like to hear some of my experiences with the Cavaliers behaving like complete classless fools on retreat towards the corps I was teaching in the late 90's? It does not paint a pretty picture. But that was many years ago and I don't hold any grudges because I have many friends who marched with the Cavaliers and I know that stories like that embarrass them. The culture around these corps can and does change from time to time, you know. Every corps I know of has had their dirty little stories from the past they'd like to forget.

Edited by seen-it-all

Maybe Devs didn't show you love, but I have witnessed them being good sports (1996, 2013) more than not (1988)

What happened in 1988? Did I miss retreat that night?

So he stood drum corps for three years?

I saw someone from the Cavaliers front ensemble do some guard work tonight. I'm pretty sure they were part of some scatter drill as well. :augen51:

Gotta give it to the Bluecoats pit though, they tilted. That's some tough shiitake mushrooms.

Edited by absynthknight

For example, in 2005 The Cadets had to cut the encore short because it took so long for every other corps to leave the field. Only had time for the show, no extra tunes. They don't do that to other corps and THEY are the ones getting called classless. :lle:

That's not exactly how I remember it from the stands that year. There was a LONG delay in Cadets starting their encore, while no one else was on the field - and no explanation to the crowd that stayed after by anyone. When Cadets were ready to go on (and I'm sure they had a very good legitimate reason for the LONG delay) they did.

Glad to see that the regular posters on here are still griping back and forth over nonsense. Makes me feel pretty good about paying the ticket price to take 4 drum corps newbies to finals so that they could witness an incredible top 12, and easily the most talented top 8 in over a decade. Troll all you want over the direction of DCI, but it's growing. Every single person I took to finals tonight was blown away. Two of them recently spent over $100 to see Pink! in concert and felt this was more emotionally entertaining.

The fan favorite within my group was the Bluecoats,however, they all knew The Blue Devils were the best. One friend stated, "how do they do that? They are so good, it's like they are all clones." Oh, and when they showed the close-up of the Bluecoats DM on the jumbo-tron when they won 2nd, my friend's knees buckled.

• Like 8

Oh, and when they showed the close-up of the Bluecoats DM on the jumbo-tron when they won 2nd, my friend's knees buckled.

And every other female and gay guy in the stadium (and probably everyone else, too).

(Might also explain the good Visual Analysis scores)

Edited by UTLonghorn15
  • Like 1

What besides coming in third place do 1992 Star of Indiana, Cadets 2002 and Cadets 2014 all have in common?

There were all patriotic shows that did not connect with the audience as expected. In those 3 shows the patriotism seemed forced, needy and somewhat inauthentic. I personally liked all three, but a little flag waving goes a long way.

Edited by bluesman

Best comment I've heard all night -

"2nd place is the new first!"

Great job Bluecoats!

The list of second place corps is pretty impressive. I'm thinking 1980 27th Lancers, 1989 Phantom Regiment and 1993 Star of Indiana. I think that's one heck of a group to be included in.