2014 Drum Corps International World Championships World Class Finals

Ok, a couple of quick notes on retreat. After scores are announced and other final recognition items, the corps are asked to leave and the champion is told the field is theirs. Now, some corps stay for a while and shake hands, hug, and chat a moment before leaving. The Cadets have rarely ever done this (if ever) unless they win...then they celebrate. Otherwise, their protocol has been to stand at attention, listen to scores, show respect by standing at attention and honoring all the scores and placements, and then they march off the field when told.

I get that we like to see hugs and kisses and hand shakes, and I have no problem with that. That's just not how they handle things most years. If they took silver they might have congratulated BD for a brief second and then left. Not sure. Doesn't matter. Some say BD was classy to congratulate Bluecoats as Cadets were being announced in 3rd. A pot stir-er could say BD was showing disrespect for the Cadets by not acknowledging their excellent performance and Bronze Medal.

Lest we all forget, these policies have worked for the Cadets (whose marching members are following orders). Back just a few years (I forget the year) there was an issue at DCI FInals Retreat in which a lot of corps and their members acted poorly, in public, getting drunk, passing out, and the actions were so poor that many in the audience were upset. I was on the Board of Directors of a certain corps at that time and all I heard from local and regional band directors was how disappointed they were in "our local" corps. THE ONLY COPRS that night that showed respect for themselves, the audience, the activity at large, and the traditions of a Military Style Retreat were who...you got it....THE CADETS!!!!

Stop the nonsense and stop the pot-stiring. Out of respect for the winner, the Cadets leave the field when told. Sad that in this era of "let's hug and kiss" that somehow the Cadets come across looking bad, but just a few years ago they were the only classy thing on the field.

Great post and Thank you.. Class is bred and taught. Some people use it when it is to their benefit only. Look on Youtube for 2008 retreat when Phantom won and BD came in 2nd. It is self-explanatory. Worst example of no class ever seen. Glad it has never been repeated by anyone.

• Like 1

I have no dog in this hunt, I love the activity. My favorite shows were SCV and The Academy, along with Bluecoats. But I think there's merit in each view. I don't think you can blame the Cadet kids, who were probably doing exactly as instructed. Which is why they perform at such a high level in the first place.

On the other hand, to say that they simply don't owe anybody anything by way of explanation because this is how they have always done it is a bit tone-deaf. After all, DCI is one of the more obvious examples of an activity that is all about making impressions. Moreover, it's a bit like when a well-intentioned person makes an inappropriate comment to a person going through something. Sometimes you ought to care about the impression you make, and maybe the changing times demand a re-thinking, even if the kids didn't owe that to anybody last night. Because the reality is that it did look "off" although my own take was that there's probably nothing much to it.

• Like 1

Why would someone want to keep doing something that looks bad. I mean, I know they are being respectful but if they appear disrespectful why would they continue?

Just because YOU THINK it looks bad, doesn't mean everyone thinks so. I believe the people who think it looks bad don't have any actual knowledge or experience of the way that corps operates. Some people will try to find fault with them for every single thing they do.

Last night's broadcast was great - not one single hiccup with the feed the whole time! I could even switch between high cam and multi-cam effortlessly with little delay.

Well worth the money spent!

I remember last year that I was able to go back and watch it again the next day before they took the feed down.

I tried to log in this morning and go back and watch a couple of things I missed or wanted to get a second viewing on only to see that it was gone. :(

For $75 bucks they could at least keep it active all weekend like the fan network broadcasts.

I remember last year that I was able to go back and watch it again the next day before they took the feed down.

I tried to log in this morning and go back and watch a couple of things I missed or wanted to get a second viewing on only to see that it was gone. :(

For $75 bucks they could at least keep it active all weekend like the fan network broadcasts.

I think they kept it up longer last year because of all the issues people had during the broadcast.

Great post and Thank you.. Class is bred and taught. Some people use it when it is to their benefit only. Look on Youtube for 2008 retreat when Phantom won and BD came in 2nd. It is self-explanatory. Worst example of no class ever seen. Glad it has never been repeated by anyone.

I remember Cavies falling all over the place when that happened. I remember seeing pics of BD looking like they had just been punched in the gut ..... weren't they undefeated up until that point? Anything else happen?

I think they kept it up longer last year because of all the issues people had during the broadcast.

That may be the case but every other fan network broadcast says available until Monday so its disappointing to find out the most expensive one by a landslide is no longer available