Hey Corps Directors and Designers

This may rile some and it may make some people happy.

First of all I have loved drum corps since 1970, marching in the 1970's and teaching junior, senior and German drum corps. I have defended what the corps do today but maybe it's time to think about tradition. Entertainment! Enough of the "creativity" and the obscure music. How about if all corps made an effort to entertain the fans?

I will start it off there

• Like 2

Today, it is all about scores first, and maybe entertainment second,for the most part. If you can do both equally, great. But for goodness sake, don't let entertainment get in the way of winning. The last corp that lived by the rule of entertainment and scores equally, was the Bridgemen. I do miss them.

Nothing wrong with creativity, but I do agree with you on the music. To me it is obscure in some cases, but it seems to the young drum corp crowd, it is "popular music" whether anybody else knows it or not. While the obscure music is not attractive to me, neither is rehashing the same ol' stuff over and over. Corps need to open up the musical book and look to other venues of music rather than classical and motion picture music. While those two types of music do offer many opportunities for good shows, there also exists great opportunities in other forms of music as well. An excellent arranger can do wonders with any form of music as long as the original has something to it. As an example, Dixieland music has such a rich chord progression and harmonal structure, that it would be ripe material for any good arranger and show designer.

Edited by Railfan

Obscure music is fine with me so long as it's in good taste. Like if a corps plays a piece of music I've never heard before and it doesn't capture my attention or begin to interest me about the original piece itself, then it's just not in good taste. Some examples of fantastic use of music you could consider obscure is with Carolina Crown last season and Bluecoats this season. Both productions put the pieces of music on display in an energetic, and entertaining way that I actually found myself interested in looking up the original pieces. They really took great advantage of the entertainment value in the music they chose rather than just presenting it and hoping that those who did previously know the repertoire are entertained.

• Like 2

Keith, we've seen this subject in many forms before, but IMO it comes down to this: Tradition is important and will always be a part of DC....but you can't stop new generations from interpreting the form. If interpretation and adaptation didn't exist in music, we would never have had jazz or rock & roll. I think DCI needs to be careful not to let it get out of control but let's let success and failure be the guide in this. There may be a time when you no longer enjoy any of the shows and you should re-evaluate whether it's for you....but until then, there are many corps that still perform more traditional drill and music. As I have often said, it is not so much about the few corps that are being "creative or experimental with drill and music"...it's about the fact that several of them are winning.

As for me.....I love it and after 3 decades in the military I know a bit about tradition. I loved Bloo this year and BD of course, and would stack those shows against anything in DCI history for quality, entertainment and sheer power. Relax and enjoy the ride!

• Like 1

I agree Keith. This is only my opinion and I have no intension of getting in on any discussions here. I am not schooled in music or dance, I only know what I like.

This is the first year since the late 60's that I have not attended a "junior" show. I am completely turned off by what these outrageous DIRECTORS and DESIGNERS have done to drum corps, it's like their ego trip is the only thing that drives them. Oh sure, there are some people who will tell us the good they are doing for these talented musicians, who I am sure are very talented kids, but what about the kids who can't go to college for whatever the reason, it used to be that there was always some cultural or church related organization that supplied an outlet for the street kids. I know, I know, times have changed... but we are all responsible for that change. If you ever want to see what drum corps used to be about, there is an upstart corps out of Port Chester, NY called THE SAINTS BRIGADE that epitomizes the activity. If you are not familiar with Port Chester, let me say that it is a hard to place to grow up.

We are fortunate to have a very competitive high school band (Arlington, NY) in our area and we attend high school band contests and are completely entertained.

Please forgive my rant. Best of luck to ALL DRUM CORPS in the future.

What's entertaining to me may not be what is entertaining to you. Maybe what I like in drum corps is the opposite than what you like. Hopefully there's different drum corps that speak to us differently. I may not be a fan of yours and you may not be a fan of mine and that is okay.

• Like 1

To me, 2014 has represented a HUGE movement back to entertainment! Lots of good stuff going on out there. Isn't that pre-statement seen onscreen something like, the Following is Approved for General Audiences? This label applies in 2014 more so than it did during many previous years, I think. There is truly something here for everyone, not just a dwindling few. My biggest concern is to keep heading in the current direction!

• Like 3

I don't think you could have asked for a more creative and "entertaining" top 12 than is year, from my perspective at finals. Regiment and Vanguard revisited their standards, Cadets returned to Copland and Madison returned to musical choices that I always thought better suited them, Blue Devils gave us sexy and more pure excitement than is typical from them recently, Boston and Cavaliers gave us dark but still approachable shows (I still don't really understand Boston's, though), Blue Knights were touching, Blue Stars somehow made floor plans fun, and Crown and Coats took vague topics and gave us wonderful sights and sounds, and Crossmen were entertaining, too.

• Like 1

This may rile some and it may make some people happy.

First of all I have loved drum corps since 1970, marching in the 1970's and teaching junior, senior and German drum corps. I have defended what the corps do today but maybe it's time to think about tradition. Entertainment! Enough of the "creativity" and the obscure music. How about if all corps made an effort to entertain the fans?

I will start it off there

They Did.............................Corps were so well received .............look harder keith

• Like 4