Best non-winners.....2nd, 3rd, and 4th

Star '93 and Cavaliers '03 were the only second place shows that could have/should have placed first. Cavaliers, in particular, had what was (imho) the best of their Saucedo original shows, and an insanely great visual package, maybe the best that's ever been on the field.

While I agree that '78 Vanguard won ugly (due to the brass performance), the visual performance, arrangements, and percussion shows were all top of the field that year - none of the other top 4 owned as many of the various captions as Vanguard.

Edited by Slingerland

Star '93 and Cavaliers '03 were the only second place shows that could have/should have placed first. Cavaliers, in particular, had what was (imho) the best of their Saucedo original shows, and an insanely great visual package, maybe the best that's ever been on the field.

While I agree that '78 Vanguard won ugly (due to the brass performance), the visual performance, arrangements, and percussion shows were all top of the field that year - none of the other top 4 owned as many of the various captions as Vanguard.

Not to mention cavaliers 03 is probably one of the most difficult shows of all time.

I don't.

They were night and day from where they were at the beginning of the season when I saw them, Cadets, and Crown in Chesapeake at the 3C's competition.

Light years better, and easily one of the best packages in 2010 along with Bluecoats, Blue Devils, and Phantom Regiment.

I kinda get that you don't care for The Cavaliers though. IF I were to guess, my guess is that you saw the Blue Devils for the first time in person in 2010 at the Fairfax show,and it was a great experience for you, but I'm seeing an anti Cavalier bias from you.

Anti Cavaliers? Nah. I'm not anti any corps. It's any particular year for me. I didn't ever care for the Blue Knights but I absolutely loved them this year. It just so happens that Cavies' style doesn't appeal to me most years. Especially their brass sound. I loved Samurai, Secret Society (gasp) and the Planets (the hornline was rough though...) and I actually liked Mad World too. But anyways I'm referring to the overall package. I feel like Bluecoats deserved 2nd that year just from the videos alone. Significantly better hornline and a visual design that did not hold them back like it does most years. But I guess videos don't tell the whole story.

You can call me biased against the Cavies, I don't really mind. But that's not an accurate representation of my views. Saying I'm biased towards a certain style of show would be more correct. But I guess you could say that about everybody...

Edited by Cappybara

Haha you think? He's a phantom homer in disguise. Probably just angry they lost the backyard brawl.

The backyard what? And phantom homer in disguise? I'm not sure there's much disguise... Take a look at my signature :smile: I'm pretty open about my love for PR's shows.

Edited by Cappybara

The backyard what? And phantom homer in disguise? I'm not sure there's much disguise... Take a look at my signature :smile: I'm pretty open about my love for PR's shows.

Fundraising challenge

I'll argue that 1991's corps were the best group of finalists in DCI's history.

1988 VK was dada...

1992 Cadets should have beaten Cavies.

1995 Scouts should have placed higher. Astounding show!

1999 SCV should have been the outright winner.

2003 Phantom was righteous.

2005 Phantom was FUN!

2008 Blue Devils was robbed.

2009 Cadets was better than Crown. The corps would have placed second if not for the battery train wreck in finals. That said...

2009 Cadets and Crown were better than Blue Devils.

2012 Crown was robbed. BD's design was dreck.

I would have to say that Cavaliers 2003 solidly beat BD in my book. Crown 2008 was seriously amazing. I would have put them over the Cavaliers. 2012 crown was probably my favorite crown show of all time. Really thought it was better than bd. Seriously check out how much they are jazz running in that show, just flying in that field. 2009 crown and cadets were better Than bd, and 2001 Cavaliers were scored too high.

Haha you think? He's a phantom homer in disguise. Probably just angry they lost the backyard brawl.

Well, I will always love my corps, the Cavaliers, BUT if they do something I don't like, I will state it. I'm inclined to dislike Phantom, BUT they have had so many more shows that I love than not.

I really feel that I'm not biased, but I do see bias in other people on this fourum. I try to gently call everyone on that as appropriate.

Anti Cavaliers? Nah. I'm not anti any corps. It's any particular year for me. I didn't ever care for the Blue Knights but I absolutely loved them this year. It just so happens that Cavies' style doesn't appeal to me most years. Especially their brass sound. I loved Samurai, Secret Society (gasp) and the Planets (the hornline was rough though...) and I actually liked Mad World too. But anyways I'm referring to the overall package. I feel like Bluecoats deserved 2nd that year just from the videos alone. Significantly better hornline and a visual design that did not hold them back like it does most years. But I guess videos don't tell the whole story.

You can call me biased against the Cavies, I don't really mind. But that's not an accurate representation of my views. Saying I'm biased towards a certain style of show would be more correct. But I guess you could say that about everybody...

Ok, I'll take that into account. I know you're not "anti" any corps per se, but there are styles that you don't like and it is evident from your posts.

For the record, I'm not pro any corps style, BUT I do see the pros and cons with every style. I have been down on Blue Devils for a while, but I try to transcend that here; not always successful. They perform well, but at the end of the day, I'm more a design critic. Cavaliers haven't always hit home runs with me; BD don't either. Cadets don't either.

I usually appreciate Bluecoats and Phantom more than others, BUT that's not 100%.

Any rate, I call each year like I see it, and I don't hold back. I also try not to troll, so maybe I'm just to vanilla for DCP.