Best non-winners.....2nd, 3rd, and 4th

If a year is not mentioned (1987-2014) that means I agree with the outcome.

1987: Santa Clara Vanguard was better in EVERY section except percussion, where they were almost equal. Two over-zealous percussion judges handed a title to The Cadets that they did not deserve, IMO.

1989: Phantom Regiment was better in EVERY section except percussion, where they were... okay, not great, but not enough of an anchor that it should have sunk the corps. Two over-zealous percussion judges handed a title to Vanguard that they did not deserve, IMO.

1993: Special exception. For a long time I thought Star was the better corps. But after watching each of the Top 3 shows LITERALLY over 100 times each, I'm now firmly convinced The Cadets were the right call. Star's visual program was ground-breaking. It was also very, very dirty. And the Cadets have a ton of effect.

1995: Blue Devils were undefeated all season, beating Cadets and Cavaliers with no problem. Then they got absolutely HAMMERED Finals week, for no apparent reason I can see. The Cavaliers' horn line was terrible (listen to those fracks in the closer!). When I auditioned for BD in 1998, there were vets (who won in 94, 96, and 97) who were STILL bitter about 95. Should have been DCI's first four-peat. No, actually wait, it shouldn't have, because...

1996: Phantom Regiment should have won outright.

1999: Santa Clara Vanguard should have won outright. This was my first finals I attended in person. Vanguard's Finals run remains--to this day--the most energetic, exciting performance I've ever seen from a drum corps. Blue Devils were cleaner, but Vanguard should have been AT LEAST 0.3 ahead of everyone else in both GE captions.

2000: All season I was rooting HARD for the Cavaliers to catch The Cadets. I cheered when it happened. Then I saw the video. Noooo, what had I done! Cavaliers were nowhere near The Cadets level.

2001: Ironic (considering what happens next year), but when I think of horrendous brass lines that won titles, I think Cavaliers. 92 (even though that year deserved to win), 95, 00, 01... Not a hornline in the bunch that deserved to be Top 5 in brass. Cadets were better here, too.

2004: I hate to seem like I'm picking on Cavaliers, but COME ON. Blue Devils had better brass, better percussion, better guard, better visual performance. WTF with those effect scores? Blue Devils should have won.

2009: Can't really provide a "logical" argument here. Blue Devils visual and percussion were awesome, and spit-shine clean. The brass book was a joke, but that's another story. I just felt this Crown show was REALLY special, from concept all the way through execution.[/quote

I wasn't surprised by the effect scores. The cavaliers have always oozed general effect. And niagra falls was solo much more effective than cadets show that year.

1987: Santa Clara Vanguard was better in EVERY section except percussion, where they were almost equal. Two over-zealous percussion judges handed a title to The Cadets that they did not deserve, IMO.

1989: Phantom Regiment was better in EVERY section except percussion, where they were... okay, not great, but not enough of an anchor that it should have sunk the corps. Two over-zealous percussion judges handed a title to Vanguard that they did not deserve, IMO.

1993: Special exception. For a long time I thought Star was the better corps. But after watching each of the Top 3 shows LITERALLY over 100 times each, I'm now firmly convinced The Cadets were the right call. Star's visual program was ground-breaking. It was also very, very dirty. And the Cadets have a ton of effect.

1995: Blue Devils were undefeated all season, beating Cadets and Cavaliers with no problem. Then they got absolutely HAMMERED Finals week, for no apparent reason I can see. The Cavaliers' horn line was terrible (listen to those fracks in the closer!). When I auditioned for BD in 1998, there were vets (who won in 94, 96, and 97) who were STILL bitter about 95. Should have been DCI's first four-peat. No, actually wait, it shouldn't have, because...

1999: Santa Clara Vanguard should have won outright. This was my first finals I attended in person. Vanguard's Finals run remains--to this day--the most energetic, exciting performance I've ever seen from a drum corps. Blue Devils were cleaner, but Vanguard should have been AT LEAST 0.3 ahead of everyone else in both GE captions.

2000: All season I was rooting HARD for the Cavaliers to catch The Cadets. I cheered when it happened. Then I saw the video. Noooo, what had I done! Cavaliers were nowhere near The Cadets level.

2001: Ironic (considering what happens next year), but when I think of horrendous brass lines that won titles, I think Cavaliers. 92 (even though that year deserved to win), 95, 00, 01... Not a hornline in the bunch that deserved to be Top 5 in brass. Cadets were better here, too.

2004: I hate to seem like I'm picking on Cavaliers, but COME ON. Blue Devils had better brass, better percussion, better guard, better visual performance. WTF with those effect scores? Blue Devils should have won.

2009: Can't really provide a "logical" argument here. Blue Devils visual and percussion were awesome, and spit-shine clean. The brass book was a joke, but that's another story. I just felt this Crown show was REALLY special, from concept all the way through execution.

I wasn't surprised by the effect scores. The cavaliers have always oozed general effect. And niagra falls was solo much more effective than cadets show that year. It takes an amazing horn line to March and play the drill they did those years.

Edited by Anstig

Let's go in reverse order because I can think better that way...

2014 - Yeah pretty much

2013 - Yeah pretty much

2012 - Crown had the best show they've ever put on the field. Blue Devils had a great performance..... Show over performance? what do we reward?

2011 - Yeah pretty much (Although Cavies were leading most of the season, then BD took over then Cadets showed up late....great season)

2010 - Bluecoats had the best show, but it was dirty. So I'll say BD was the right call with that weird show.

2009 - Crown's first championship. 1930 wasn't in the same league. I'll never understand why THAT scored over something as wonderful as Grass is Always Greener

2008 - My heart feels this was the right call. My eyes aren't so sure anymore, but I was there..and I feel good about the outcome.

2007 - Cadets definitely made a case.....but after watching the 07 BD run on Finals, it was ON FIRE! I see why BD won. It could've gone the other way and I'd have been just as cool with it.

2006 - I though Blue Devils had the best show that season....meh

2005 - Nailed it.

2004 - SCV had the best show.....but I'm ok with Cavies over BD. Cleanliness wins most often.

2003 - Great Top 3....coulda gone any way. I LOVED Cavies 03 moreso than just about any other year. BD was a good call though.

2002 - No other choice.

2001 - Cadets made a real charge. I think they probably would have won if the season was another week longer. SCV was my favorite show, but it was DIIIIRRRRT.

2000 - Cadets were the real champion that night with the best show ever in the history of mankind. EVERR!!!!

1999 - I'm ok with the tie! SCV was baller, but nowhere as clean as BD

1998 - Stonehenge FTW

1997 - I'm ok with this too, but Cadets had a nice brass section

1996 - sigh....Phantom 96 is one of my all time favorite shows....I think they should've won, but the circumstances seemed suspect

1995 - Madison was OMG but not championship quality. The vidsfrom that year are so awful, I cannot with great accuracy tell who was most worthy.

1994 - Blue Devils were magnificent

1993 - Star of Indiana FTW (This was the greatest travesty of the DCI era until 2009)

1992 - Star of Indiana FTW (sorry Cadets with your cute airplane show and Cavies with your drumming guard members)

1991 - Star of Indiana FTW

1990 - Cavaliers (sorry fake Z pull Cadets)

1989 - Phantom Regiment

1988 - Blue Devils

1987 - Cadets (sorry SCV but you can't overblow like that and still win)

1986 - BD

1985 - Cadets

1984 - Cadets

1983 - Cadets

1982 - BD (but I really enjoyed Cadets

I have no comment on the rest of the years because I don't know how to judge them based on the criteria of the day.

Best 2nd Place Show: Bluecoats 2014

No, they should not have beaten BD. 2nd is what they earned, but what a 2nd place show.

Best 3rd Place Show: SCV 2004/BD 2000

The original Scheherazade was a huge crowd-pleaser. Loved it. And no one ever talks about BD's Methods of Madness show, but it's one of my favorite things they've ever done.

Best 4th Place Show: Phantom 2003

Saw this one finals night in Orlando and they had me on my feet from the Canon reprise all the way to the chevron.

As for our historical ties...I don't think any of them should have happened. In particular:

1999 - I will take SCV every single time here. It's one of the best shows of the 1990's and in my top 5 of all time. The Canyon is pure drum corps bliss.

2000 - Cadets. Cadets. Cadets. I will never understand this tie.

All my opinion of course.

• Like 1

Years I would change-

1980 27th Lancers. (imagine what it could have done for them in the future)

1987 SCV (Love Appalachian Spring, but SCV was on fire)

1995 Cadets (Cavies hornline was not good, but visually cleaner)

1999 SCV (No tie, just the title to themselves)

2003 Cavies (Loved BD at the time, but that Cavies show is insane with very unfortunate guard costumes)

2007 Cadets (what a monster of a corps, amazing playing and marching)

2009 Crown (not quite as clean as BD, but Crown had that music book and horn line that BD forgot existed that year)

Years I would change-

1980 27th Lancers. (imagine what it could have done for them in the future)

)

My guess, probably nothing. Zingali was offered money that 27th couldn't match, and so once he went to the highest bidder for his drill design services, the handwriting was on the wall for all intents and purposes for the 27th Lancers after that.

Edited by BRASSO

2009: Can't really provide a "logical" argument here. Blue Devils visual and percussion were awesome, and spit-shine clean. The brass book was a joke, but that's another story. I just felt this Crown show was REALLY special, from concept all the way through execution.

Yeah the horn line wasn't very good, but that was hands down one of the hardest drum corps shows to be put on a football field. Starting tempo 192 and ending tempo 208(isn). The judges could obviously see the amount of difficulty going into the show and we were rewarded because of it. If you don't believe me take a good 12 minutes out of your day and tap along to the tempos of that show.

• Like 1

1992 - Star of Indiana FTW (sorry Cadets with your cute airplane show

As a US Air Force veteran, allow me to point out that 92 Cadets was not a "cute airplane show."

"To Tame the Perilous Skies" was commissioned by the USAF band, and is a tribute to the American fighter pilot.

Gotta defend my branch of the service, y'know.

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 3

As a US Air Force veteran, allow me to point out that 92 Cadet was not a "cute airplane show."

"To Tame the Perilous Skies" was commissioned by the USAF band, and is a tribute to the American fighter pilot.

Gotta defend my branch of the service, y'know.

Our high school band played that piece. Agree that it's definitely not a "cute airplane" composition.