Restarting new corps

Bridgemen

Hawthorne Muchachos

North Star

Sky Ryders

27th Lancers( No Prancers please)

If by "prancers" you mean modern visual performance styles, if they came back looking like the 1980 27th Lancers they would not last long, nor do I think you would get all that many members interested in performing in a fly-frozen-in-amber fossil-style corps.

If they came back as they used to be in concept...a great high-performing, modern, forward looking ensemble (see their marvelous guards most especially), then yes, I'd love to see 27th on the field.

• Like 2

After stating that corps cannot be restarted in another thread, I probably should be avoiding this thread, but I can't resist. 27th and North Star would be my top choices, but I'd like to add Defenders of Rockland, MA. I considered joining this corps but the person who was going to join with me, who at the time had a license and a car moved with his family to another state. I did not have my license at the time and Rockland, or my home town for that matter, did not have public transportation that could help. So I had a fondness for this corps. They folded at a time they were beginning to make noise nationally, so I'd bring them back to pick up where they left off.

After stating that corps cannot be restarted in another thread, I probably should be avoiding this thread, but I can't resist. 27th and North Star would be my top choices, but I'd like to add Defenders of Rockland, MA. I considered joining this corps but the person who was going to join with me, who at the time had a license and a car moved with his family to another state. I did not have my license at the time and Rockland, or my home town for that matter, did not have public transportation that could help. So I had a fondness for this corps. They folded at a time they were beginning to make noise nationally, so I'd bring them back to pick up where they left off.

Why can't a corps be restarted? What is the obstacle to restarting a corps, other than the lack of desire?

Edited by cdm

What is the obstacle to restarting a corps, other than the lack of desire?

In a word, $.

That's a mighty big word. And if you can get past it, you have all the expectations hung on the name of a famous corps resurrected. Imagine that you acquired the trademark of the 27th Lancers. Presumably, you would have purchased it because of the brand value the name has. Well, if you live by the brand value, you die by the brand value. There's no way you could put out a 2015 version of 27th Lancers that didn't play "Danny Boy" and wore spats and featured a monster rifle line and a 14-member snare line. That's what Two-Seven is, in the minds of those who cherish the name. Just too much baggage to deal with.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

In a word, $.

That's a mighty big word. And if you can get past it, you have all the expectations hung on the name of a famous corps resurrected. Imagine that you acquired the trademark of the 27th Lancers. Presumably, you would have purchased it because of the brand value the name has. Well, if you live by the brand value, you die by the brand value. There's no way you could put out a 2015 version of 27th Lancers that didn't play "Danny Boy" and wore spats and featured a monster rifle line and a 14-member snare line. That's what Two-Seven is, in the minds of those who cherish the name. Just too much baggage to deal with.

Nothing you have said is insurmountable. Only a weak person would be daunted by anything you said. A dedicated person could overcome all of that, and excell in restarting 27th lancers, or any corps.

If everyone thought the way you are thinking, then no one would fly blimps, because of the hindenberg,(before you start saying no one does, There are numerous companies, and government who do fly them in all roles.) Or no one would race cars because of the crashes at Indy, and Nurburging early in racing history. A person with guts would make it happen.

You asked for it!!!!

Anaheim Kingsmen

Mighty St. Joe's (as a junior corps again)

Magnificent Yankees

Greece Cadets

Gauchos

Patriots

Royal Coachmen

Imperial Regiment

Mighty Liberators

Squires

Avant Garde

Oswego Black Knights

27th Lancers

Muchachos

North Star

Oakland Crusaders

Seneca Optimists

General Butler Vagabonds

Memphis Blues Brass band

Florida Wave

Suncoast Sound

Glassmen

Southwind

Charioteers

Floridians

Valiant Knights

Wausau Story

Marquis

Argonne rebels

SkyRyders

Geneseo Knights

PrecisionAires

St. John's Girls

CapitolAires

Mello Dears

Alpine Girls

Fire-ettes

Bon Bons

St. Ignatius Girls

Belleville Black Knights

Ventures

Les Chatelaines

Les Eclipse

Offensive Lions

Black Watch

Seattle Imperials

Marksmen

Argonauts

Velvet Knights

Freelancers

Valley Fever

San Jose Raiders

Midlanders

Canadian Knights

Emerald Knights

Des Plaines Vanguard

Blue Rock

Bleu Raeders

Southernaires

Night Hawks

Royal Crusaders

Bridgemen

St. Rita's Brassmen

St. Kevin's

probably more LOL

This!

A person with guts would make it happen.

Yes, of course. It's a question of why that person is in the activity at all. If the goal is to help young people turn themselves into stellar adults through the pursuit of performance excellence, well, that takes enough guts by itself, and the added burden of living up to the expectations of a bunch of alums and fans is needless, perhaps even fatal, overhead. If my motivation is today's kids in today's activity, I think my chances are improved if I do it on a clean slate. If the motivation is the youth, then showing off how much guts I have is secondary and selfish.

Not that I wouldn't love to see 27 on the field again. But if my choice is between a failed attempt to start up 27 and a successful attempt to start up a new corps, I'll take the latter.

Yes, of course. It's a question of why that person is in the activity at all. If the goal is to help young people turn themselves into stellar adults through the pursuit of performance excellence, well, that takes enough guts by itself, and the added burden of living up to the expectations of a bunch of alums and fans is needless, perhaps even fatal, overhead. If my motivation is today's kids in today's activity, I think my chances are improved if I do it on a clean slate. If the motivation is the youth, then showing off how much guts I have is secondary and selfish.

Not that I wouldn't love to see 27 on the field again. But if my choice is between a failed attempt to start up 27 and a successful attempt to start up a new corps, I'll take the latter.

What would constitute failure, in your mind? If a once major corps returned as a much smaller SDCA style corps, would that constitute failure? Or would a corps restarting, staying small, and being around for almost 100 years,(a la Racine Scouts) not be successfull enough.

The only failure, to me, in Drum Corps is not participating.

If by "prancers" you mean modern visual performance styles, if they came back looking like the 1980 27th Lancers they would not last long, nor do I think you would get all that many members interested in performing in a fly-frozen-in-amber fossil-style corps.

If they came back as they used to be in concept...a great high-performing, modern, forward looking ensemble (see their marvelous guards most especially), then yes, I'd love to see 27th on the field.

Not me. As someone else said, " the past is the past". There is no way in the world that I'd want Star of Indiana, 27th Lancers, Anaheim Kingsmen, Hawthorne Muchachos, etc to come back on the field with trampolines, frisbees, narrators looking like cheeky TV Evangelists and what not. Not that I don't like what these recent Corps are doing, as mostly I do, but I'd rather these iconic Corps from the past remain frozen in time for us, than for these particular cited Corps to become gymnasts, singers, guitar players, 22 year old historian lecturers, and whatnot for us here in 2014. Even the much beloved on here '93 Star of Indiana didn't have any props, narrators, and all that stuff that year, lest we forget..

Edited by BRASSO