Restarting new corps

Indeed; I was agreeing with you and reinforcing your point.

It's revered, not reverend. Look closely. Different words. "Reverend" would have put a different twist on the meaning, for sure.

lol..oops ..now that changed the meaning...lol... thats what I get for not wearing my glasses.

yeah , it's always tough to try to re- create. I 'ts another reason why I am not fond of tribute shows. small parts of something recognized is ok I guess BUT one never wants to come off as some cheap version of the original and that HAS happened. We hold our past up very high sometimes which makes it very hard to reach. So I say don't...JMO

Nothing you have said is insurmountable. Only a weak person would be daunted by anything you said. A dedicated person could overcome all of that, and excell in restarting 27th lancers, or any corps.

If everyone thought the way you are thinking, then no one would fly blimps, because of the hindenberg,(before you start saying no one does, There are numerous companies, and government who do fly them in all roles.) Or no one would race cars because of the crashes at Indy, and Nurburging early in racing history. A person with guts would make it happen.

Well, guts and a lot of time and money. Those three whittle down the available candidates considerably.

And I ask, what would be the point of re-starting a corps when the same MM experience could be made by the same person starting a new corps with a new image? Why would a new director of a new corps burden himself with trying to reclaim and live up to the image of a glorious past when it's so unlikely to happen?

Unless there are assets or a volunteer base from the old corps to support the operations of the new corps, it doesn't sound like a sound business plan at all. Old memories don't mean squat in either the judges booth or on the balance sheet.

But it is fun to remember our favorite old corps!

• Like 2

What would constitute failure, in your mind? If a once major corps returned as a much smaller SDCA style corps, would that constitute failure? Or would a corps restarting, staying small, and being around for almost 100 years,(a la Racine Scouts) not be successfull enough.

The only failure, to me, in Drum Corps is not participating.

This is contradictory. 27th was a favorite because they were a powerhouse, not a Div III corps ala SDCA. The old mystique of 27th won't be revived with 10 horns, a couple of drums and a flag or two. "Success" in resurrecting the past is to duplicate it. That won't be done in SDCA.

I agree about the participation part, but why not run a show, or volunteer time on the tour, or simply donate to an existing organization like Racine Scouts?

The premise of the thread is to attempt to relive the glory of the past. That won't happen if the name is resurrected on a smaller and different production even if you do own the 27th name and trademarks.

Now, if you want to revive what 27th looked like when it was just getting started and grow it into what 27th became, well, you can do that as easily (!) by starting from scratch with a new brand and image.

Leaving fans disappointed with a small performance when they are hoping to relive the legacy of a powerhouse is not the way to sell souvies, I'm afraid.

• Like 3

This is contradictory. 27th was a favorite because they were a powerhouse, not a Div III corps ala SDCA. The old mystique of 27th won't be revived with 10 horns, a couple of drums and a flag or two. "Success" in resurrecting the past is to duplicate it. That won't be done in SDCA.

I agree about the participation part, but why not run a show, or volunteer time on the tour, or simply donate to an existing organization like Racine Scouts?

The premise of the thread is to attempt to relive the glory of the past. That won't happen if the name is resurrected on a smaller and different production even if you do own the 27th name and trademarks.

Now, if you want to revive what 27th looked like when it was just getting started and grow it into what 27th became, well, you can do that as easily (!) by starting from scratch with a new brand and image.

Leaving fans disappointed with a small performance when they are hoping to relive the legacy of a powerhouse is not the way to sell souvies, I'm afraid.

Bingo. Support the corps that still exist today, so that they can continue to survive - and thrive. This is precicely the idea behind the Sky Ryder Alumni starting a scholarship fund for the Blue Stars. 4 years of scholarships, with the the funds donated growing each year.

Imagine how much help today's corps would receive if alumni of corps that are no longer with us were to adopt them and contribute their time, talents, and treasure? The influx of help would be welcomed by most. An added benefit would be that those volunteering would see that while there have been some changes with rules, instrumentations, etc., the member experience is very similar to what it was BITD.

• Like 2

Memphis Blues Brass Band

They had a interesting concept.

They were ahead of their time. They actually had BRASS BAND in their name. In 1982 they the first corps to perform without the traditional backfield warm-up or include a stand concert section in their show. Of course those 2 things changed when the show was gutted mid season.

Edited by bluesman

Why can't a corps be restarted? What is the obstacle to restarting a corps, other than the lack of desire?

Because those corps existed in their own place and time and could never, ever be recreated in any genuinely authentic way. You'll never see the Lancers again because it's not, and will never again be, 1980.

Peace,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5
  • Like 1

Because those corps existed in their own place and time and could never, ever be recreated in any genuinely authentic way. You'll never see the Lancers again because it's not, and will never again be, 1980.

Peace,

Fred O.

The same could be said of historic organizations such as BD and the Cadets. Not sure what you're trying to get at. All corps are in the position that you stated. They may not have the same staff, but the traditions and possibly style could still be brought back.

The same could be said of historic organizations such as BD and the Cadets. Not sure what you're trying to get at. All corps are in the position that you stated. They may not have the same staff, but the traditions and possibly style could still be brought back.

I think ( maybe ) what they are trying to say is, with anything, we can try to re- create something to maybe look similar BUT it was what it was also because of the time it existed in , Style can be brought back but to be competitive today, things would certainly have to change which in essence makes it different. I know deep. lol or maybe they aren't saying that at all....lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Cadets, Blue Devils and corps like that have remained on the scene and evolved with the times, maintaining a contiuous thread of tradition that links their past to their present. Their viability and credibility derive from that continuity. Ever watch one of those public tv pledge week begathon broadcasts? Glenn Miller Band recreation, old geezers sleepwalking thru 50's doo-wop hits, a Beatles tribute band in Sgt. Pepper costumes? It's fun for a minute, or even an hour or two. But in the end you know that it's not real. High school reunion, anyone?

Peace,

Fred O.

Magic and Glassmen