Would DCI ever expand the number of marchers per corps?

cjf20

The membership level is directly related to bus size, as others have stated. Didn't we go from 128 to 136 to 150 as bus seating increased? I'm pretty sure a few G7 corps have proposed increasing membership size. An extra 10 kids at $3k each adds more to the budget than it costs. Hopefully this won't go through anytime soon. 150 works.

Looking at the current per capita numbers for most of the major corps, a 50 member increase would most likely result in positive cash for them, as the additional expenses would be more than outweighed by the additional revenues in member tour fees.

Not saying I think it's a good idea, but from a financial standpoint for the big dogs, it would be a win.

It would be more difficult to clean if they added more members.

I'd be ok with adding a 4th bus = 200. Seen more than enough bands that size to know that drill would be fine, and louder drum corps is *always* a good thing (no matter what the music snobs may say).

Plus, with as many kids that try out for 1 corps or bust, let's accomodate the situation as it is. If we can't change the kids (and based on the numbers for decades, we can't), then let's allow more kids to march drum corps.

Mike

No [limit on membership numbers in BOA]. And awards and groupings (in the prelims round) have to do with school size, not band size.

Huh. For no good reason, I thought it was the other way around for BOA, but here is a link to the rule, which confirms your point--although it looks like this was a change implemented in 2012. Does that mean that previously classification was based on band size? Or was it always based on school size but the cut-off points between divisions changed in 2012?

I know Ohio Music Education Association's classification system is similarly based on school size, but the MidStates Band Association is based on band size. How do other leagues arrange it?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Looking at the current per capita numbers for most of the major corps, a 50 member increase would most likely result in positive cash for them, as the additional expenses would be more than outweighed by the additional revenues in member tour fees.

Not saying I think it's a good idea, but from a financial standpoint for the big dogs, it would be a win.

Would it though? Are the 990's detailed enough to determine this? One more bus lease (and driver, if your corps doesn't have it's own). A full tour fuel increase. 50 more instruments/equip to buy. Space for 50 more instruments/equip to travel (new bigger truck? $$ Or additional truck $$ would be plus more fuel) Increase staff by 1, 2 or 3. Add another 50 headcount to each meal you serve. Uniform an additional 50.

Does $150,000 in fees really cover all of this with extra $$ left at the end?

I think corps should be allowed 3000 members. When it comes time to define drill, designers will revert to the same argument used in 3d posters....."I see the snake with the 3 lines off the end of the tail...do you?" Visual judges will be too shy to say they don't see the formation and will award near or perfect visual scores.

Would it though? Are the 990's detailed enough to determine this? One more bus lease (and driver, if your corps doesn't have it's own). A full tour fuel increase. 50 more instruments/equip to buy. Space for 50 more instruments/equip to travel (new bigger truck? $$ Or additional truck $$ would be plus more fuel) Increase staff by 1, 2 or 3. Add another 50 headcount to each meal you serve. Uniform an additional 50.

Does $150,000 in fees really cover all of this with extra $$ left at the end?

Yes. Most WC corps are spending $100-110k on food - on a per cap basis, that's $700-800 each (actually less, since staff has to be fed too). Uniforms are usually free or minimal in expense, instrument purchases (for those who buy them) can be recouped by reselling, as they do now. If a corps added one more vehicle doing 11,000 miles, that's another $3400-3800 in diesel expense (1.3 tour fees, and it's covered). Bus and driver $40k, maybe less. Upside is that with the right connections, the biggest corps could actually stand to clear an additional $50-70k each by adding 50 members.

Yes. Most WC corps are spending $100-110k on food - on a per cap basis, that's $700-800 each (actually less, since staff has to be fed too). Uniforms are usually free or minimal in expense, instrument purchases (for those who buy them) can be recouped by reselling, as they do now. If a corps added one more vehicle doing 11,000 miles, that's another $3400-3800 in diesel expense (1.3 tour fees, and it's covered). Bus and driver $40k, maybe less. Upside is that with the right connections, the biggest corps could actually stand to clear an additional $50-70k each by adding 50 members.

I don't know corps-specific bus deals, but I do know basic travel industry numbers, and bus and driver for 60 to 75 days at $40,000 is a fantastic (and somewhat crazy) rate. Are most of them get a per mile deal?

EDIT: OK. recalibrated based on a miles rate, plus. $ for down days. Seems a more reasonable number. Low, but reasonable.

Now, per cap equip? Per cap uniform?

I'm with garfield. Best operated corps might come out a little cash positive. Marginal. But not likely for most.

Edited by mingusmonk

I wonder if this is accurate enough to make a bump to 200 mm's a real consideration...

In a recent season I spent a day with a (well-known, top-12) corps at our show. The food management was proud of the fact that they were able to feed excellent nutrition to their kids for $9 per day, but they were at the top end of that cost in the activity (or, maybe, among their peers).

Hmm...$9 per day x 200 mouths is $1800, times 45 days is $81,000. Maybe it's a rounding issue...

Also, a new current-model Prevost 55-passenger bus gets about 7 mpg. That's 1571 gallons, at $4, for a total of almost $6,300.

Not quibbling that it couldn't be done, but just these small adjustments to (one corps') reality chops out about $35,000 of the $50m - $70m possible gain.

I can see the extra trailer, fitted out to hold the extra equipment, plus the tractor and driver likely eating up all, and more, of the additional revenue at current tour prices.

I can easily see the wealthier few corps not making it a financial decision, but the end result will be an equipment and spending "arms race" that will surely drive a significant number of corps to throw in the towel because they can't compete.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1