Carolina Panthers kicker warms up during half-time show.

Hypothetically...would someone lose a limb if they pushed one Vanguard's cymbals? I can only see that interaction ending very quickly...

Indeed. There's a reason they call their signature move The Viper and keep a razor-sharp edge on their cymbals.

Anyway, agreed that no further ado is necessary since Gano later seemed to offer up a sincere and heartfelt apology: “I want to apologize to [the trombone player],” [Gano] said. “It’s just that is the only time we have to practice. But I never should have done that, and I feel bad about it.” Time to forgive Mr. Gano and move on or we're the ##########.

• Like 1

I got a kick out of that..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

The band members showed much more maturity than I think the kicker deserved. In fact, the guy should be fined by the NFL. Keep in mind that Gano pushed the band member and admitted as such. Totally unprofessional, unacceptable, and classless.

Quote from the Charlotte Observer:

"Gano felt bad for shoving the college band member after the game, however. I want to apologize to him, he said. Its just that is the only time we have to practice. But I never should have done that, and I feel bad about it.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/09/07/5157955/carolina-panthers-graham-gano.html#storylink=cpy

Edited by drumcorpsfever

He apologized to the band at large and the member he moved out of the way. It was a bad situation for all involved. The band was overtime, the kicker shouldn't have pushed someone, mistakes were made all around. In the kicker's defense, he is an athlete being paid millions of dollars a year to do one thing very well. Any situation that messes with that could jeopardize a game, or even a season. Apologies were made, now hopefully everyone can move on from this.

• Like 3

http://youtu.be/y0uINdVECjE Here is a video expressing my thoughts on the situation.

One of the most irritating things about the marching band world is the victim complex so many in it have - kids and adults - vis a vis football. That's definitely at play in this thread.

Gee, how does one develop a "victim complex" in the first place?

Prior incidents, oft discussed on here, have shown that sometimes no one gives a darn about the band (or drum corps as was discussed a few years ago).

Only watched it once and angle sucked..... so did he actually kick the ball in the middle of that crowd (aka the MB)? And how did he not hit anyone? IMO that was the most dangerous thing about the whole incident..... Reminds me of the one Super Bowl when a Steeler blocked a kick or punt and ball whacked him in the lower part of his face, split his tongue open......

Edited by JimF-LowBari

This is just unfortunate from every angle and neither the band not the kicker is without blame. Marching bands need to adher to their time slots and kickers need to show a lot more class than that.

I agree that the announcers should not have laughed. That was pretty classless too.

Edited by luv4corps

Gee, how does one develop a "victim complex" in the first place?

Prior incidents, oft discussed on here, have shown that sometimes no one gives a darn about the band (or drum corps as was discussed a few years ago).

Successful programs make people care about the band. Unsuccessful programs sit and do nothing, sniveling about how mean the football coach is, how awful and stupid the players are, how unfair life is, why can't some money and attention just suddenly drop out of the sky, etc. I've worked with a lot of bands and this is invariably true.

Being a victim, in this instance, is a choice . . . and it's the wrong choice.

Edited by Rifuarian
  • Like 1