Cadets 2015

I am in love with this year's Cadets. I cannot think of enough superlatives to describe my satisfaction and happiness with the MMs, the staff, and the show design. It has been quite fun this year! WOOHOO! I wish I could thank each of them in person for the thrill ride they've given us this season. We have been very fortunate to witness it.

Edited by wallace
  • Like 3

I don't buy the criticism that the black makes them look muddy. If anything, it really helps the guard and the silks pop. Check out the videos where they're in the autumn colors and the maroon and gold. You can't see the guard in the ballad well. What about the silk impact at the french horn feature? Not nearly as dramatic. Most people don't get that the drill is designed to be seen from a high vantage point. It's MUCH better from the pressbox view. People were just USED to seeing the older version. It takes a couple of viewings to see the black IS a better choice.

Edited by wallace
  • Like 1

One thing I dislike about modern drum corps is the notion that every show has to be "about" something, with some kind of narrative or meaning attached to every element on the field. There have been successful shows that do this, of course, but there also have been some horribly pretentious and cringe-worthy attempts as well.

I prefer when drum corps is non-narrative and abstract. Let the music and visual make an emotional connection with the audience.

Cadets' 2015 show is a great example.

Edited by StuStu
  • Like 4

I am in love with this year's Cadets. I cannot think of enough superlatives to describe my satisfaction and happiness with the MMs, the staff, and the show design. It has been quite fun this year! WOOHOO! I wish I could thank each of them in person for the thrill ride they've given us this season. We have been very fortunate to witness it.

Agreed. This show is everything I wanted to see Cadets do for awhile. Their brass and percussion are amazing. The drill is one of Jeff's best in a long time. It's all about demand and intensity. And after a week and a few recent pics on FB, I'm more accepting of the black. Sure they're digging in and cleaning very well. They are very very capable of being near the top in GE Music, VP, VA, Brass, MA and percussion. Let's see how this plays out..
  • Like 1

One thing I dislike about modern drum corps is the notion that every show has to be "about" something, with some kind of narrative or meaning attached to every element on the field. There have been successful shows that do this, of course, but there also have been some horribly pretentious and cringe-worthy attempts as well.

I prefer when drum corps is non-narrative and abstract. Let the music and visual make an emotional connection with the audience.

Cadets' 2015 show is a great example. There ha e been some

I agree. I love BD's and BK's somewhat cerebral shows, but I find nothing wrong in going in with a simple theme like Tilt and Power of 10 did. Shows would become so dull if they were all around the same thing.

I agree. I love BD's and BK's somewhat cerebral shows, but I find nothing wrong in going in with a simple theme like Tilt and Power of 10 did. Shows would become so dull if they were all around the same thing.

Agreed. Love the Cadets show this year. Nice to just be able to enjoy a great show and not have to worry about missing something or having to think too much. Just straight ahead drum corps.

I don't buy the criticism that the black makes them look muddy. If anything, it really helps the guard and the silks pop. Check out the videos where they're in the autumn colors and the maroon and gold. You can't see the guard in the ballad well. What about the silk impact at the french horn feature? Not nearly as dramatic. Most people don't get that the drill is designed to be seen from a high vantage point. It's MUCH better from the pressbox view. People were just USED to seeing the older version. It takes a couple of viewings to see the black IS a better choice.

As a former Cadet, I always was enamored by the looks of the uniform but as several posters have mentioned, the multicolored uniform combined with the multicolored guard costume, flags and prints on boxes did actually take away from what was being done visually in some spots. Black does streamline things a lot. Still hoping for a comberbun and sash color change but I get what they did. Edited by Tobias