Music That Makes You Dumb

So... what we are to believe is that an alleged Government researcher(s) found an " an enhancement of spatial- temporal reasoning performance after listening to Mozart's Music for 10 minutes and lasts about 12 minutes after listening to Mozart". Except that its not duplicative with most people as we're told that the " the effect varies between individuals" ( the variance never explained however ) and depends upon the " spatial tasks chosen by the individual ". ( raise your hand here if you believe that the researchers involved in the study probably prefer to listen to Mozart rather than Motley Crue when it comes to their own personal musical biases tastes. )

My hunch... scientifically unproven. however.. is that we lose 27 nutritious brain cells when we read such research nonsense. But that with most people( but not all ) that the loss of nutritious brain cells from the temporary absorption of such nonsense is replenished fully within 12 minutes when we begin the natural process to breath in and out from the diaphragm of the lungs and we begin the natural process to forget we even read such dubious research results on the brain's absorption of the Music of Mozart ( or anyone else for that matter ) and its" 12 minutes" of alleged aftermath reasoning benefits upon some unnumbered individuals.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Are we going to discuss Candide next?

OBJECTION!

Edited by KVG_DC

Correct acts as a primer much like an appetizer. 12 minute warm up.

From

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1281386

An enhancement of spatial-temporal reasoning performance after listening to Mozart's music for 10 minutes has been reported by several, but not all, researchers. Even in the studies with positive results the enhancement is small and lasts about 12 minutes. The effect varies between individuals and depends upon the spatial tasks chosen; general intelligence is not affected. Rather more impressively, there is a beneficial effect on some patients with epilepsy. The results are not specific to Mozart's compositions but the exact musical criteria required have not been completely defined.

Epilepsy aside. Brain and Ear warm up. Like an appetizer puts you in the mood for more.

" Music primes the brain " ? What pseudo science makes this scientific conclusion ? Some idiot psychologist must have made it up.....(well it is from a govt site. That's bad credibility alone.)

Power of suggestion, Placebo effect......our Brains do strange things.

Really interesting. I'm an undergraduate doing research in neuroscience at my college so this kind of stuff is really relevant to the type of stuff I do. I'm a bit critical of this study though as the report doesn't have any raw data not does it even acknowledge the sample sizes. The report also points out that the study is controversial as many other studies have not been able to replicate the same results using the same procedure this study used.

1. similar to a mental run through as performed by athletes such as Micheal Phelps who does this regularly for habit building purposes.

2. Many institutions inform students of principals such as these fostering a greater than thou sense that alienates pop musicians that have no interest in band or orchestra. They join and become educated in music and see how the entire chart at the top changes. How many times have you seen a "musician" asked to improvise or just jam with us and they say, "I need a part."

3. See also wine tasting in which you eat a cracker in between wines to prep or "prime" the palette in your mouth for the next taste.

1. I suspect Michael Phelps "mental run-through" was focused as much on other "habits" he indulges.

2. This sounds like the rationalization of a spurned musician who was alienated by the school music program. Congrats on your eventual success, but I suspect many more musicians, pop and otherwise, were spurred, not spurned, by elementary music programs.

3. Doh! The purpose of the salty cracker between wines is to set the palette at a common baseline between swigs. If that's "priming" your tongue for the next taste in your book, then we'll disagree on the semantics. In my book the cracker "normalizes", it doesn't "prime" for the next taste.

This subject is of interest to me because I have first-hand experience with the _Kid. He was listening to classical in his mother's womb, was playing piano at two, has been a (nearly) straight-A student in his advanced classes, and plays traditional grip like few others I've ever seen at his age.

As a classical music fan (at the expense of nearly all others besides drum corps) I want to believe that our strong emphasis on classical music in his early years has had a positive effect on his learning curve. But, of course, I recognize that I'm biased solely because of that hope.

Edited by garfield

I don't do English to good but zoiks yeah maybe having varied interests help a child in all areas. We see this in sports as you no many self serving coaches push kids to play only one sport but real good coaches say at the university level understand via double blind testing that a football player who also ran track and played hockey for example is actually a better football player due to the cross-training provided by the other sports. Is it therefore not completely logical that music has a sill over affect and helps a child in other academic performance?

I don't do English to good but zoiks yeah maybe having varied interests help a child in all areas. We see this in sports as you no many self serving coaches push kids to play only one sport but real good coaches say at the university level understand via double blind testing that a football player who also ran track and played hockey for example is actually a better football player due to the cross-training provided by the other sports. Is it therefore not completely logical that music has a sill over affect and helps a child in other academic performance?

Ppffftttt

Lol

He plays jazz. I like jazz.

Ppffftttt

Lol

He plays jazz. I like jazz.

I love jazz. I abhor lazy, bad writing and illogical arguments that read like a long stream of consciousness with no point. Edited by HockeyDad