Audition: Phantom or Cavies

frankv -

Good answers has been presented throughout this thread, but I'll add in my $.02 here.
Both Phantom Regiment and The Cavaliers are going to provide an incredible experience. Really. Just ask any of our organizations' alumni. I always suggest that prospective members do their research on their target drum corps, while simultaneously listening to their gut.
What first brought you to drum corps? Why Phantom Regiment? Why The Cavaliers?
One of the best ways to get to know a drum corps is to attend their audition camp. As a baritone/euphonium player, you'll have auditions available on Dec 12-14 for Regiment (Rockford), or Nov 22-23 (Atlanta), Dec 5-7 (Chicago), or Dec 13-14 (Austin) for The Cavaliers.
Phantom Regiment audition info: http://www.regiment.org/howtojoin/
The Cavaliers audition info: http://audition.cavaliers.org
I can tell you that we (The Cavaliers) have a talented and dedicated team of designers and educators who are passionate about bringing excellence, artistry, athleticism, and entertainment to the performance field.
Our brass team has professional music educators at the collegiate and high school level, freelance and touring musicians, performers with the Boston Symphony and Blast!, a DCI Hall of Famer, and an all-around strong contingency of incredible teachers. Regardless of a brass member’s future musical goals and aspirations, we have a team of educators who will provide quality mentorship and instruction to help our students realize those goals.
We have a medical team that has set the standard in our activity. We feed our members well. We travel well. We treat our members with respect and like adults. We expect a LOT from our performing members, but you wouldn't want that any other way.
We're going to push you to go beyond your limits. And we're going to do so as a brotherhood. One with more than 60 years of history and tradition behind everything you do.
You'll find that the brotherhood and fraternity define The Cavaliers' experience...it's who we are.
This video is almost 10 years old, but what's referenced is still as true as ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgYUf3qhnu4
I know the folks over at Phantom, and I'm certain you'll get an awesome experience there, as well.
So, work your butt off and get to a camp. See which organization is a fit for YOU. Then make YOUR educated decision.
If you want The Cavaliers' brass audition materials, just shoot me an email (Chris.Lugo@cavaliers.org). Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help with your decision to march The Cavaliers...I mean...which ever corps you choose! ;-)
Edited by Chris Lugo
  • Like 5

So much of this conversation is like asking, "Which is better, cake or pie?" Which is a pretty silly argument when you think about it...

....cause everyone knows pie is better.

It's not a clear pic, but the horn in the middle is a euph.

ScreenShot2014-11-07at13240PM.png

Although your tiff is obviously with lum, he's (she's?) correct.

Source: I marched EUPHONIUM in 2003. As you can see in the photo, it kicked my ###.

n76805657_30711352_7758.jpg

chaos and Wes,

Thanks to both of you for clarifying this matter for me; I was hoping someone from the 2003 corps would do so.

I stand corrected re my 2003 baritones vs euphoniums analysis.

And thanks to you, lumbargleeful, for bringing this error to my attention.

I reviewed the 2004 OTR DVD and, interestingly, 12 of the 20 MM listed as baritones in 2003 (including Wes) were listed as euphonium players in 2004, with one other listed as a 2004 trumpet player.

P.S. lum, if you want to reply to my request for your source (so I do not make the same mistake again), just send me a PM.

• Like 1

frankv -

Good answers has been presented throughout this thread, but I'll add in my $.02 here.
Both Phantom Regiment and The Cavaliers are going to provide an incredible experience. Really. Just ask any of our organizations' alumni. I always suggest that prospective members do their research on their target drum corps, while simultaneously listening to their gut.
What first brought you to drum corps? Why Phantom Regiment? Why The Cavaliers?
One of the best ways to get to know a drum corps is to attend their audition camp. As a baritone/euphonium player, you'll have auditions available on Dec 12-14 for Regiment (Rockford), or Nov 22-23 (Atlanta), Dec 5-7 (Chicago), or Dec 13-14 (Austin) for The Cavaliers.
Phantom Regiment audition info: http://www.regiment.org/howtojoin/
The Cavaliers audition info: http://audition.cavaliers.org
I can tell you that we (The Cavaliers) have a talented and dedicated team of designers and educators who are passionate about bringing excellence, artistry, athleticism, and entertainment to the performance field.
Our brass team has professional music educators at the collegiate and high school level, freelance and touring musicians, performers with the Boston Symphony and Blast!, a DCI Hall of Famer, and an all-around strong contingency of incredible teachers. Regardless of a brass member’s future musical goals and aspirations, we have a team of educators who will provide quality mentorship and instruction to help our students realize those goals.
We have a medical team that has set the standard in our activity. We feed our members well. We travel well. We treat our members with respect and like adults. We expect a LOT from our performing members, but you wouldn't want that any other way.
We're going to push you to go beyond your limits. And we're going to do so as a brotherhood. One with more than 60 years of history and tradition behind everything you do.
You'll find that the brotherhood and fraternity define The Cavaliers' experience...it's who we are.
This video is almost 10 years old, but what's referenced is still as true as ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgYUf3qhnu4
I know the folks over at Phantom, and I'm certain you'll get an awesome experience there, as well.
So, work your butt off and get to a camp. See which organization is a fit for YOU. Then make YOUR educated decision.
If you want The Cavaliers' brass audition materials, just shoot me an email (Chris.Lugo@cavaliers.org). Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help with your decision to march The Cavaliers...I mean...which ever corps you choose! ;-)

Chris, thank you.

You are creating a model for communications and public relations in today's drum corps world.

• Like 1

ok. well that's lower than i expected. but still, dont let ANYONE on this sight sway you. You're the only person who can, and should attend both of these corps camps to see which you like better. that's it.

don't listen to any more words of BS on who thinks one is better for you than the other.

Scout Alum Holland

re: "PR has a good retention rate, but I don't think it's more than 60%."

In 2014, Regiment marched approximately over 100 rookies, that is 2/3 of the corps or 66 2/3 percent were new, leaving only 33 1/3 percent retained veterans. Big difference to the math you present. Kudos to those rookies for the show they presented.

The most diligent reading of this thread and the wonderfully informative posts of assistant tour manager JoePaul and assistant director Chris Lugo, both of the Cavaliers, seem to have brought some results which may not make our young auditioner's choice any easier. For today the Cavaliers have officially posted that they have added to their brass staff, the wonderful 2013 Regiment age-out and trumpet player, MISS Tate Herrmann. (http://cavaliers.org/cavaliers/staff/brass/tate-herrmann)

When she did her degree recital she closed with an ensemble of Regiment members and alums who played several Regiment pieces from seasons recent and past.

She will at least make Cavies' brass sectionals rather appealing...

The bus "wallpaper" may need to be changed, however...

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

The most diligent reading of this thread and the wonderfully informative posts of assistant tour manager JoePaul and assistant director Chris Lugo, both of the Cavaliers, seem to have brought some results which may not make our young auditioner's choice any easier. For today the Cavaliers have officially posted that they have added to their brass staff, the wonderful 2013 Regiment age-out and trumpet player, MISS Tate Herrmann. (http://cavaliers.org/cavaliers/staff/brass/tate-herrmann)

When she did her degree recital she closed with an ensemble of Regiment members and alums who played several Regiment pieces from seasons recent and past.

I'm not going to touch this comment with a 10 foot pole.... :tounge2:

She was on staff last year during the move-ins/early season before she left for Blast! Japan.

I have a feeling she'd be creeped out by that comment.

Edited by chaos001
  • Like 1