Jersey Surf 2015

For all those that [edit: have expressed dislike for] the uniform, they've made some additions in the last few days, which we should be able to see tonight on DCI Live!

Can't say whether people will consider them improvements or not - I haven't seen them myself, yet.

Edited by Eleran

Not necessarily hate... it just needed something more.

How much is being added besides the logo patch on the front?

The Surf brand is a hard genre to sell in this activity, probably why no one since Bayonne has been really good at it. Let's not forget how truly well written those books were and how great and talented those Bayonne/Velvet Knight corps were. In their time, they were WC because of their ability to play extremely well written shows at a high level. How do you write a show that is “Bayonne” like and still has the layers of design that make it sophisticated? Is the Surf doing that in 2015?

The following are my opinions, I am, in no means attacking the members or staff of the Surf.

Somethings you mentioned.

• "They cared about entrainment" - the WC level entertainment comes with a world class level of professionalism in design. The 2015 show was picked to entertain on a different level. And that is fine. But it does not contain a level of sophistication or the design qualities indicative of a World Class entertainment.
  • "They cared about education" - every corps cares about this. The BD's level of education is at a totally different place then Pioneers. Pioneer has different kids that are in a different place in their development as performers. Doesn't mean there isn't education. BD has highly developed performers, performing a well designed show. The members from both corps get up everyday and get taught and learn, they are just in a different place on the matrix.
  • "They cared about making music" - This show has inherent musical issues because of the vehicle they have chosen. I just think it leans more towards an open class mentality when looking at the book.
  • "Cheese" - some may like it ... some may not. If it's not performed or designed well, well, it's Velveeta. It's great on nachos and a cheesesteak wit'. Nothing wrong with a great hot dog if thats what you're paying for.

The good thing is that they make you clap.

When I drive to Foxboro and pay for a WC experience, I think I have the right to demand that. The kids are only performing what they are being given and IMO it’s not World Class and they did not make me clap. The kids effort, was great - thanks kids - this I applaud.

The Surf has a place in the activity, it certainly serves a role and kids "get their start" in corps via this marketing model, but please lets not make it something it's not. They clearly are a very young corps, they are developing corps that is in constant flux from year to year because of the age and level of experience - they are marketed as a WC corps but they will be over-taken at the end of the year by several "Open Class” corps - sounds open to me.

What am I saying? Just be what you are, it's okay. The Surf design as a niche, is a good model for them, they are unique, but nonetheless a model that they are struggling to perfect. They are a developing corps that should stick with Open Class design and ask their membership to perform on an Open Class level.

I'm guessing as I say this ... The Surf's leadership wouldn't change a thing if they were an Open Class team. Meaning the service they provide the kids would remain top-notch.

Will the kids have a fun time? Yes I'm sure they will.

Will they travel the country safely? Yes, I'm sure they will.

Will they be taken care of in a professional way? Yes, I'm sure they will.

How do they measure success? For me, it's a tough boat to row, one that only has one paddle and seems to be something it's not. A canoe?

AoE

let's be honest about some of those OC corps.

they are in many ways WC, but hang out in OC because a few have famous big brothers.

There is a place in WC for Surf and others...they provide the full tour experience. Many of those kids go on to other places, other stay. The really cool thing would be is if Surf was able to get em young and keep them, and as they got better the staff could challenge them more, man what a product. That's the goal I'm sure, but it takes time to get there. I can tell you that by going back to OC, they'd lose bodies they have now. and lets not forget, but World Class isn't determined by product on the field, but by financial stability. Unlike some BIG names at the top, you don't see Surf out there begging for cash every week

• Like 2

There is a place in WC for Surf and others...they provide the full tour experience. Many of those kids go on to other places, other stay. The really cool thing would be is if Surf was able to get em young and keep them, and as they got better the staff could challenge them more, man what a product. That's the goal I'm sure, but it takes time to get there. I can tell you that by going back to OC, they'd lose bodies they have now. and lets not forget, but World Class isn't determined by product on the field, but by financial stability. Unlike some BIG names at the top, you don't see Surf out there begging for cash every week

I agree. If Surf were to get booted from world class based on scores at quarter finals, who would be next and where would it stop? Pioneer? Cascades? Oregon Crusaders? (who just go in to world class and are working like mad to move up in ranks)

let's be honest about some of those OC corps.

they are in many ways WC, but hang out in OC because a few have famous big brothers.

… good points.

Of course there is a place in WC for Surf. My wish is for them is for them to not go back to OC. I hope this point is clear.

I ask this, if you were going to a drum corps show and you had to choose between BDB and Surf? I’d pick Surf. They have an identity that is all their own, they are fun and their product works for the crowd but my opinion is it's just not a WC production. I don’t sponsor drum corps shows and have to put butts in the seats. One thinks they are a bigger draw out of the two, but show sponsors do request a quality product in return. Imagine the benefit of Surf aligning all the stars.

As previously stated, I have fundamental issues with the production. I question wether it is WC

My point is there is a responsibility to the members, fans and activity when putting “WC” on your name - it should be more than a marketing device. The responsibility, I feel, is not being realized here. Yes, WC does come with financial responsibilities -which they are fulfilling- but there is there is something missing. Maybe there is a problem with the selection process DCI goes through, a process that stresses quality of the financial side in comparison to the performance/design side - more balance maybe? Surf seems to be lacking here.

As far as the corps constantly bothering you for green. Clearly we differ in our beliefs on non-profit cashflow, especially the summertime. Thats a whole other topic we could go into and I clearly talk to much - so I will spare everyone that.

… I really don’t think recruiting is their issue.

As you said, “it takes time to get there.” Seems as if they’ve had plenty of time to figure it out -they’ve always had kids. As to your position that they will loose kids going back to OC, I say they won’t loose kids, they were one of the bigger corps through their long OC tenure and at the end of their OC days. Maybe it’s the quality of the product? Not sure.

Regarding the so-called impostors. Why would they hang out in OC as you are saying they are doing? The financial incentive to go WC is greater. I really think -by the end of the year- they are OC performing at a very high level and are passing them at the end because of this, more power to them. Surf should be a player (and I don’t mean on the recaps). Probably a reason they wanted to leave OC - they felt the state of OC at that time was not conducive the experience that they wanted to give their members.

There are few corps left on the east coast and they’ve managed to not get swallowed up by the YEA!/Cadet machine. I think thats great. They are one of the densest areas of the USA, recruiting should be easier then Casper Wyoming. (Is anyone in the Troopers from Casper or Wyoming). They have The YEA! and several DCA corps to complete with as far as recruiting and they are more then holding their own. So in a sense, you have to say they're a viable option and their model is working. So what's the deal?

Going back to my (your) original point - of course there is a place in WC for Surf. They are different, they have the possibility of being a much brighter flavor in a cauldron of meh. They can be an x-factor because they entertain in a different way, not like those stuck in the meh of 8 to 15 range. Can they just do different better?

AoE

Edited by AoEnut

For all those that [edit: have expressed dislike for] the uniform, they've made some additions in the last few days, which we should be able to see tonight on DCI Live!

Can't say whether people will consider them improvements or not - I haven't seen them myself, yet.

My first time seeing Surf's show was on the webcast tonight. It was hi-cam, so we never got a clear look at the new orange uniforms. I take it that previously they'd been wearing the blue/white shirts that are now covered by the orange for the first two-thirds of the show? The orange is at least flashy. Lots of fun color in this show. Lots of work to be done in all areas, though, as the score makes clear.

it's possible Surf could do different better. and yes they had kids in OC...and kids started saying " we want the whole ball of wax" on their way out the door.

They havent been in World Class all that long, and while they have not been swallowed up by YEA as you mention, they DO have to compete with it. They also have competition others dont....DCA. With so many DCA corps in their back yard, many kids go there for less cost to get the training before they go elsewhere. In Surf's immediate region yes, they have the Cadets, and even Raiders....then they have:

Cabs, Bucs, C2, Fusion, Bush, Hurcs, Sun, Sky,Windsor Regiment even Excelsior, White Sabers and Erie Thunderbirds....possibly even carolina Gold.......and DCA corps are getting younger every year.

Surf has their place. They don't take themselves or the game too seriously. Maybe the quality isn't what you want, but that didn't stop crowds everywhere going ape #### for them in 2012.

• Like 1

was surprised with the uniform, i get the concept of the whole Surf thing but it was too scaled down, could have used more, maybe change the colors but not scale down completely. Looks like a junior corps