Staff Performance Reactions at Finals

I'd like to see more emotion demonstrated by the fans in the stands to shows. Thats more of an issue of late than staff showing animated, honest emotion, down around the track below during and / or after their Corps performances. Heck, even George Hopkins of the Cadets himself is on public record as stating that DCI audiences in his view are not as enthusiastic at shows for the DCI Corps performance as they once were. So while this thread topic is interesting regarding staffs display of emotion at shows, its not the more relevent issue that George Hopkins ( and others ) have been noticing of late regarding this topic issue of the level of emotion on display and witnessed at DCI shows.

And this is blamed on the fans? That's precious. I would counter that shows had much more crowd appeal in the past. If they want crowd reaction, they're smart, they know how to get it. The problem is, they have evolved their activity beyond that point. Crowd reaction isn't rewarded in the scoring system they developed. So this is crocodile tears. It's not about ticket prices - that's just a lame excuse.

And this is blamed on the fans? That's precious. I would counter that shows had much more crowd appeal in the past. If they want crowd reaction, they're smart, they know how to get it. The problem is, they have evolved their activity beyond that point. Crowd reaction isn't rewarded in the scoring system they developed. So this is crocodile tears. It's not about ticket prices - that's just a lame excuse.

Not arguing your point at all, Dad. But I do have an honest-to-God question: Has there ever been a time when a crowd's reaction was tangibly (that is to say, provably) rewarded in a given scoring system? I'm not being a snot-nosed wise***...I'm simply not well-versed in the intricacies of past scoring systems.

as I said there are many that contribute way more than the price of a ticket. EVERYONE should be aware of those around them as well as having a right to react in a positive manner. Ive sat next to those supporting their kids corps, great and very loud reactions then the same people doing nothing but talking and of course giving their expert opinions on the next corps ( not positive of course ). So which is worse. For me I say the latter.

If there's anything to complain about, it's this. No offense to any parents on here, but some of you guys are THE WORST when it comes to any type of sporting event. But I don't get mad. I ignore it. Most of the time I don't really find it that much of a distraction. Same thing goes for the staff cheering on their corps.

• Like 2

Not arguing your point at all, Dad. But I do have an honest-to-God question: Has there ever been a time when a crowd's reaction was tangibly (that is to say, provably) rewarded in a given scoring system? I'm not being a snot-nosed wise***...I'm simply not well-versed in the intricacies of past scoring systems.

Good question. Troopers prelim performance 1979 jumps into my head. Crowd went nuts and I would guess influenced the score. PR 2008 is another guess. Madison 88. SCV 99. Star 93, in a negative way.

But you bring up a good point. If crowd reaction's influence on scoring was not much during the era of crowd reaction shows (70s, 80s ?), them how much Less influence is there today?

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

Good question. Troopers prelim performance 1979 jumps into my head. Crowd went nuts and I would guess influenced the score. PR 2008 is another guess. Madison 88. SCV 99. Star 93, in a negative way.

But you bring up a good point. If crowd reaction's influence on scoring was not much during the era of crowd reaction shows (70s, 80s ?), them how much Less influence is there today?

Thank you for the response, Dad. And you're right -- there was a tremendous crowd reaction (whether positive or negative) in each of the instances which you listed. That being said, I don't believe (and admittedly, I may very well be incorrect) that a tangible "number" could be directly attributed to whatever score was reached. Psychological and/or subconscious affect in the mind of the judge(es)? Maybe...maybe not. I guess I'm just naive, innocent, or ignorant enough to want to believe that the degree of crowd support/reaction would not enter into a qualified adjudicator's final score assignment. In any event, thanks again for answering -- and I'm sorry for the minor diversion from the scope of the thread.

Thank you for the response, Dad. And you're right -- there was a tremendous crowd reaction (whether positive or negative) in each of the instances which you listed. That being said, I don't believe (and admittedly, I may very well be incorrect) that a tangible "number" could be directly attributed to whatever score was reached. Psychological and/or subconscious affect in the mind of the judge(es)? Maybe...maybe not. I guess I'm just naive, innocent, or ignorant enough to want to believe that the degree of crowd support/reaction would not enter into a qualified adjudicator's final score assignment. In any event, thanks again for answering -- and I'm sorry for the minor diversion from the scope of the thread.

I can tell you 1st hand from winter programs as well as summer. I have been in the position of even saying to a judge " DID you hear that crowd " and the answer always given was " they aren't judging the show" and also noise doesnt make a corps , guard, percussion line , band, the better group....just some info.

I can tell you 1st hand from winter programs as well as summer. I have been in the position of even saying to a judge " DID you hear that crowd " and the answer always given was " they aren't judging the show" and also noise doesnt make a corps , guard, percussion line , band, the better group....just some info.

Maybe not stated nearly as well or concisely...but my very point as well. Thank you, Guard. (All of which, given last summer's discussion here on DCP whether or not there should be an "audience component" to the scoring, I was strongly in disapproval.)

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

So where are we? A big dog corps director bemoans lack of audience reaction. An adjudicator says, crowd reaction makes no difference in scoring. So, where are we? Or...have we identified the core problem? Or....are we okay that crowd reaction has no bearing? That would explain why designers don't seem to care about designing for the crowd appeal.

Edited by HockeyDad

So where are we? A big dog corps director bemoans lack of audience reaction. An adjudicator says, crowd reaction makes no difference in scoring. So, where are we? Or...have we identified the core problem? Or....are we okay that crowd reaction has no bearing? That would explain why designers don't seem to care about designing for the crowd appeal.

So you're saying no one is entertaining anymore?

• Like 1