Cavaliers 2015

Or they could just play it? GROUNDBREAKING. I know, let that sink in for a second. I can just see your faces right now.

woah-im-a-potato.jpg

Spoiler alert, this isn't the Cavaliers of the early 2000s any more. Last years book was no Crown book, but it wasn't a walk in the park complexity wise. It had some nice licks in there. To me their brass is headed in a very good direction if the improvement from 2013 - 2014 is any indication. I don't think they'd just select some brass band music to water it down. I agree with what was said earlier, if they're picking music like that they obviously have some faith in their kids and staff. I could be COMPLETELY wrong, which would be really disappointing, but I think they're going to start to really grow. I think the strength, speed, agility, flexibility, and mental power they mention in their show announcement could apply musically as well......we'll see. Not trying to get too feisty, but it's like we can't let go of the Cavaliers we see them as from the early 2000s. I think the sooner we realize this is a new group really improving after where they were in 2012, the sooner we can enjoy. I mean these two clips made me more excited than a bunch of stuff I listened to pre 2012 from them (no offense). They did that stuff great, but it's gone now. Time to move on and embrace the future!

https://twitter.com/CavsBrass/status/579783309472976899

https://twitter.com/CavsBrass/status/579775889459798016

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 4

Or they could just play it? GROUNDBREAKING. I know, let that sink in for a second. I can just see your faces right now.

woah-im-a-potato.jpg

Spoiler alert, this isn't the Cavaliers of the early 2000s any more. Last years book was no Crown book, but it wasn't a walk in the park complexity wise. It had some nice licks in there. To me their brass is headed in a very good direction if the improvement from 2013 - 2014 is any indication. I don't think they'd just select some brass band music to water it down. I agree with what was said earlier, if they're picking music like that they obviously have some faith in their kids and staff. I could be COMPLETELY wrong, which would be really disappointing, but I think they're going to start to really grow. I think the strength, speed, agility, flexibility, and mental power they mention in their show announcement could apply musically as well......we'll see. Not trying to get too feisty, but it's like we can't let go of the Cavaliers we see them as from the early 2000s. I think the sooner we realize this is a new group really improving after where they were in 2012, the sooner we can enjoy. I mean these two clips made me more excited than a bunch of stuff I listened to pre 2012 from them (no offense). They did that stuff great, but it's gone now. Time to move on and embrace the future!

https://twitter.com/CavsBrass/status/579783309472976899

https://twitter.com/CavsBrass/status/579775889459798016

Or we can just raise our doubts like we have been until we see the actual product? Wow, what a concept! You bring up good points, but trying to control the dialogue by telling people to "move on and embrace the future" doesn't sit well with me. I fully admit I could be 100% wrong about 2015 Cavies right now, but I raise doubts because I have reason to. And it's still the offseason so there really isn't anything better to talk about.

Edited by Cappybara

Or we can just raise our doubts like we have been until we see the actual product? Wow, what a concept! You bring up good points, but trying to control the dialogue by telling people to "move on and embrace the future" doesn't sit well with me. I fully admit I could be 100% wrong about 2015 Cavies right now, but I raise doubts because I have reason to. And it's still the offseason so there really isn't anything better to talk about.

I'm just going off of what this staff has given us post 2012, not some perfect vision in my mind. So......I'm not just having wishful thinking before seeing the show. The shows are less visually reliant, and have more prominent brass among other elements. They are not trying to emulate what they did before 2012, at least not to me in any way. Influences, perhaps.

And I disagree. Ok, if we're talking politics or something else that wouldn't sit well with me either. Maybe I could have worded that better. BUT, if we want the Cavaliers to try and do what they did in the past, we're going to be dissapointed. The Saucedo books + the Gaines visual programs are gone. If we keep expecting that, we're going to be dissapointed because those just won't happen any more. If someone wants to try and convince me that's a bad idea, go for it. You won't. I did that last year and it turned out to be one of my favorite shows of the year. I guess if we want to sit in our bedrooms and watch Machine and Frameworks and pray for the day for Gaines and Saucedo to descend from heaven to return, you can. Just like all these people want G horns and un-amplified pits and yadayada back. Or we can sit back, and enjoy what has been a corps that had a rough transition and are ascending and improving into something great and new. Will there be bumps in the road? Absolutely. But it certainly makes it easier to watch and more enjoyable. Your pick......

I just find it really hard to believe that they'd pick brass band music and not let the brass play the fun stuff. Talk about sucking the fun out of the source music.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

I'm just going off of what this staff has given us post 2012, not some perfect vision in my mind. So......I'm not just having wishful thinking before seeing the show. The shows are less visually reliant, and have more prominent brass among other elements. They are not trying to emulate what they did before 2012, at least not to me in any way. Influences, perhaps.

And I disagree. Ok, if we're talking politics or something else that wouldn't sit well with me either. Maybe I could have worded that better. BUT, if we want the Cavaliers to try and do what they did in the past, we're going to be dissapointed. The Saucedo books + the Gaines visual programs are gone. If we keep expecting that, we're going to be dissapointed because those just won't happen any more. If someone wants to try and convince me that's a bad idea, go for it. You won't. I did that last year and it turned out to be one of my favorite shows of the year. I guess if we want to sit in our bedrooms and watch Machine and Frameworks and pray for the day for Gaines and Saucedo to descend from heaven to return, you can. Just like all these people want G horns and un-amplified pits and yadayada back. Or we can sit back, and enjoy what has been a corps that had a rough transition and are ascending and improving into something great and new. Will there be bumps in the road? Absolutely. But it certainly makes it easier to watch and more enjoyable. Your pick......

I just find it really hard to believe that they'd pick brass band music and not let the brass play the fun stuff. Talk about sucking the fun out of the source music.

You misjudge me. I actually can't stand the early 2000's Cavies shows at all. All visual and low focus on brass. Yuck. I really enjoyed their show last summer and would love something like that again. Their description of the show just had me concerned that it would be like those early 2000 Cavies shows that I don't enjoy.

Anyways, all I ask is that you not try to control the dialogue. Let everyone voice their opinion and see who comes out as the fools when the show is performed. I'm very okay with one of those fools being me.

You misjudge me. I actually can't stand the early 2000's Cavies shows at all. All visual and low focus on brass. Yuck. I really enjoyed their show last summer and would love something like that again. Their description of the show just had me concerned that it would be like those early 2000 Cavies shows that I don't enjoy.

Anyways, all I ask is that you not try to control the dialogue. Let everyone voice their opinion and see who comes out as the fools when the show is performed. I'm very okay with one of those fools being me.

Control the dialogue? Don't put me in that category, that's sure as hell not my intention. Just responding to what has been said the previous few pages. I know those are your views, but you made those comparisons. (I'm thinking more of others who miss the good ol days). I guess I'm just saying that this:

It's a different Cavaliers, let's see what happens and not go off of what they've done in the past under different leadership. If you want to, that's cool, but I'm not and those are my reasons why. Could care less if I'm wrong, just giving them the benefit of the doubt.

The description of the show has me very excited........sounds very Bluecoats 2014 to me. I find it incredibly interesting the views on the announcement, it's very split down the middle. Very curious.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 3

Control the dialogue? Don't put me in that category, that's sure as hell not my intention. Just responding to what has been said the previous few pages. I know those are your views, but you made those comparisons. (I'm thinking more of others who miss the good ol days). I guess I'm just saying that this:

It's a different Cavaliers, let's see what happens and not go off of what they've done in the past under different leadership. If you want to, that's cool, but I'm not and those are my reasons why. Could care less if I'm wrong, just giving them the benefit of the doubt.

The description of the show has me very excited........sounds very Bluecoats 2014 to me. I find it incredibly interesting the views on the announcement, it's very split down the middle. Very curious.

That's totally fine with me dude. I was just being nitpicky early with the whole "time to move on and embrace the future statement." It came off the wrong way, but thanks for clarifying your intentions!

That's totally fine with me dude. I was just being nitpicky early with the whole "time to move on and embrace the future statement." It came off the wrong way, but thanks for clarifying your intentions!

That was my attempt at sarcasm, but alas I need to learn that doesn't come across so well on the internet. I guess I still kind of meant it, just not in a drink the kool-aid and trust what the mysterious people are doing kind of way. No problem. :biggrin:

I've seen some of the parts and there are a few black notes on the page. Also some rumors of the brass working on their triple tounging Arban's between camps. But we shall see what is on the field.

As far as design, I see 2011 Cavaliers and 2014 Bluecoats. Open ended concepts with semi defined parameters, yet about high-level performance.

• Like 2

I'm all for a show like from their golden age. I could care less if brass parts get "hosed down". I look forward to seeing an admittedly more visual focused corps step onto the field. There's plenty of other corps that are great for the ear. The cavaliers have done and continue to do a visually dominated package. 2012 and 2013 were still doing it but with inferior ingredients. I actually support them in pushing the visual limits even at the risk of losing musical integrity because I find those visual moments to be unique and worthwhile. The contrast in approach to marching visual is amazing when I see the sped up catwalk cam footage of the corps shows that pass through the dome. When the cavaliers show up, they MOVE. Not that the others don't, but there's a clear difference.

Also am I the only one that understood 2012 theme? I hear many people say they didn't understand the message the show was trying to convey and that it was confused. I read the show pretty much as starting with the raw experience of having fame----> the vices of fame----> finding a balance and identity in the context of fame.

I'm all for a show like from their golden age. I could care less if brass parts get "hosed down". I look forward to seeing an admittedly more visual focused corps step onto the field. There's plenty of other corps that are great for the ear. The cavaliers have done and continue to do a visually dominated package. 2012 and 2013 were still doing it but with inferior ingredients. I actually support them in pushing the visual limits even at the risk of losing musical integrity because I find those visual moments to be unique and worthwhile. The contrast in approach to marching visual is amazing when I see the sped up catwalk cam footage of the corps shows that pass through the dome. When the cavaliers show up, they MOVE. Not that the others don't, but there's a clear difference.

Also am I the only one that understood 2012 theme? I hear many people say they didn't understand the message the show was trying to convey and that it was confused. I read the show pretty much as starting with the raw experience of having fame----> the vices of fame----> finding a balance and identity in the context of fame.

My problem with 2012 is that it was too literal. I saw it in that progression, they just didn't present it in a way that stood out. Money flags, money signs on the drums, MONEY DRILL!!! They relied way too much on direct imagery. I thought they picked out WAY too much music and it never became focused. A show that is based on the idea of your 15 minutes of fame, and then people forget about you in a performance environment doesn't bode well. I will say though, they sounded fantastic to my ear, there were some REALLY tasty licks in there, in particular at the end of the 2nd selection where the mellos are ripping all over the place, that's where I skip to when that track comes around. Thought the ballad wasn't half bad. Ending (before the mosh pit dance thing) was pretty glorious. It had some great elements, but never really geled. Drill had some nice moments as well, Mitch Rogers is doing great but I kinda would have liked to see Hinshaw given another chance. He writes some great stuff at the high school level and when he was at The Academy.

Edited by DrumManTx