Cavaliers 2015

My problem with 2012 is that it was too literal. I saw it in that progression, they just didn't present it in a way that stood out. Money flags, money signs on the drums, MONEY DRILL!!! They relied way too much on direct imagery. I thought they picked out WAY too much music and it never became focused. A show that is based on the idea of your 15 minutes of fame, and then people forget about you in a performance environment doesn't bode well. I will say though, they sounded fantastic to my ear, there were some REALLY tasty licks in there, in particular at the end of the 2nd selection where the mellos are ripping all over the place, that's where I skip to when that track comes around. Thought the ballad wasn't half bad. Ending (before the mosh pit dance thing) was pretty glorious. It had some great elements, but never really geled. Drill had some nice moments as well, Mitch Rogers is doing great but I kinda would have liked to see Hinshaw given another chance. He writes some great stuff at the high school level and when he was at The Academy.

I agree that the imagery could be considered overbearing and overly literal. I'm just thinking this show gets far more flak than it deserves, it did get eighth in world class competition after all and the crowd ate it up after the final sequence was added. It's been referred to as 15 minutes of shame but it's really like 8 minutes of greatness with 7 interspersed minutes not so much so in inopportune places that adulterated the cavaliers package that is expected.

I agree that the imagery could be considered overbearing and overly literal. I'm just thinking this show gets far more flak than it deserves, it did get eighth in world class competition after all and the crowd ate it up after the final sequence was added. It's been referred to as 15 minutes of shame but it's really like 8 minutes of greatness with 7 interspersed minutes not so much so in inopportune places that adulterated the cavaliers package that is expected.

I kind of agree. Like I said, some very nice musical moments in there and some nice visual segments. Just overall didn't hit me. The whole is not as great as the sum of its parts. I just think in stark contrast to what came in 2011, it was disappointing. That time has passed and I'm REALLY looking forward to what I think is going to be an amazing show in 2015.

After reading a few posts I have this to say.... This years show announcement has me as excited as the 2008 show announcement. 2008 is one of my favorite shows and I really do think this years show has the potential to match that type of excitement and energy. I think visually and musically this can be one of the best shows we have seen from this corps in awhile. I am actually mostly looking forward to seeing further development in all visual aspects... It had been a steady improvement since 2012. All I know is that I have a lot of faith in this years staff compared to what the 2012 staff put on the field.

• Like 3

I kind of agree. Like I said, some very nice musical moments in there and some nice visual segments. Just overall didn't hit me. The whole is not as great as the sum of its parts. I just think in stark contrast to what came in 2011, it was disappointing. That time has passed and I'm REALLY looking forward to what I think is going to be an amazing show in 2015.

I actually really liked the 2012 show, but I agree - started well and ended well, but the middle kind of sat there.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

From Mike McIntosh twitter:

@MikeMcIntosh4: Pretty excited and honored to have written the brass in @TheCavaliers Scene 2 music which has yet to be announced. This piece kicks a___!

Looks like there's more music to be announced.

Also from his twitter:

@MikeMcIntosh4: @TheCavaliers opener. 3 minutes of insanity...completed, proofed and out to the members. This is one for the ages.

Edited by GREENBLUE

From Mike McIntosh twitter:

@MikeMcIntosh4: Pretty excited and honored to have written the brass in @TheCavaliers Scene 2 music which has yet to be announced. This piece kicks a___!

Looks like there's more music to be announced.

Also from his twitter:

@MikeMcIntosh4: @TheCavaliers opener. 3 minutes of insanity...completed, proofed and out to the members. This is one for the ages.

I think McIntosh is an insanely talented individual, but I think he is getting a little ahead of himself. "This piece kicks a__!" when referring to a piece he put together, and that the opener is one for the ages?

Bold statements, I hope they can live up to the hype he's trying to create.

I think McIntosh is an insanely talented individual, but I think he is getting a little ahead of himself. "This piece kicks a__!" when referring to a piece he put together, and that the opener is one for the ages?

Mac is never not super pumped about whatever it is that he is doing. Hype is par for the course.

For a corps that is usually extremely conservative about pre-season hype, his statement is out of character for the organization.

Maybe, just maybe great things are happening and even some of the staff can't keep it quiet.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 1

Mac is never not super pumped about whatever it is that he is doing. Hype is par for the course.

Good point, I still think it's pretty bold to put on social media.

Having been turned out of Ft. Mill as the Grass which is always Greener has already been mowed, this new recruit had the Green Team in sight for CG auditions.

Alas, coming from outside the U.S., idealism smacked into the face of reality when knowledge finally came that Cavaliers, a corps known to enjoy a few pranks on tour, is all-male.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/04/20/costa-rica-new-species-glass-frog/26105653/

Marking time until June 17th (which will only have seating in 100's and 200's sections at LOS btw.)