Carolina Crown 2015

quick recap :

corps was working on the end of dies irae all night.

we had some rain and they wrapped up at 930 without a run through.

battery went inside around 830; Aungst rewriting some parts on the fly.

sorry the video dried up but it was a really technical rehearal and they maybe covered 10 sets total the whole time i was there.

considering running back up there wed night. we'll see how the day goes tomorrow :-)

sorry so little to show. maybe next time.

pretty neat change and i have a feeling there are couple more of those in store (in addition to the "real closer").

based on past years we probably wont see that ending until SA.

Edited by corpsband

quick recap :

corps was working on the end of dies irae all night.

we had some rain and they wrapped up at 930 without a run through.

battery went inside around 830; Aungst rewriting some parts on the fly.

sorry the video dried up but it was a really technical rehearal and they maybe covered 10 sets total the whole time i was there.

considering running back up there wed night. we'll see how the day goes tomorrow :-)

sorry so little to show. maybe next time.

pretty neat change and i have a feeling there are couple more of those in store (in addition to the "real closer").

based on past years we probably wont see that ending until SA.

I'm not in love with the way Dies Irae slows into a mini ballad and then turns around and gets back to run and gun drum corps, but I figured it was because they were going for a particular GE effect there - anything on that front?

Edited by CrownLeadSop
  • Like 1

I'm not in love with the way Dies Irae "calms down" and then turns around and gets back to run and gun drum corps, but I figured it was because they were going for a particular GE effect there - anything on that front?

You mean towards the end when the hornline kneels down on their knees before getting back up and play a crazy lick?

There's a new video up on the website that must not be named (about 2 hours ago) that has a full rehearsal back from Muncie on 6/24. Yeah, that's 6 days ago, but the video is taken right on the 50 and the audio is pretty solid for a video that is not using DCI's professional set up.

Old Star of Indiana trick? I marched a Zingali drill with Van Doren running the horn line. No small ensembles and only duet in chorale. When did we stand still and play the hard stuff?

In Star of Indiana's history, Zingali was not the only drill designer. Steve Brubaker (r.i.p.) and Jon Vanderkolff also wrote drill certain seasons of Star's history.

I agree when Zingali wrote, the whole corps moved and played.

In Star of Indiana's history, Zingali was not the only drill designer. Steve Brubaker (r.i.p.) and Jon Vanderkolff also wrote drill certain seasons of Star's history.

I agree when Zingali wrote, the whole corps moved and played.

Actually Star stood and played even under Zingali.

Anyway -- since this is the Crown thread -- no objective observer would say Crown doesn't move and play -- including playing some of the most challenging brass charts in DCI while running their ##### off.

Crown *has* stood and played some pretty cool stuff while standing still but it was mostly "effect" sections (runs up and down a form or the echoes from '14) where the music itself created the "motion". Moving in those sections would actually detract from the effect.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Anyway -- since this is the Crown thread -- no objective observer would say Crown doesn't move and play -- including playing some of the most challenging brass charts in DCI while running their ##### off.

Crown *has* stood and played some prety cool stuff while standing still but it was mostly "effect" sections (runs up and down a form or the echoes from '14) where the music itself created the "motion". Moving in those sections would actually detract from the effect.

Yeah, that's one thing about Crown I've always appreciated. 2013 I distinctly remember "THEY'RE PLAYING THAT ON THE MOVE?!" going through my head, and again in last years closer. They don't do the park and play fast stuff thing, on occasion maybe, but definitely not a large majority of the time.

Edited by DrumManTx

Crown *has* stood and played some pretty cool stuff while standing still but it was mostly "effect" sections (runs up and down a form or the echoes from '14) where the music itself created the "motion". Moving in those sections would actually detract from the effect.

They're triple-tounging on a the move. This brass line plays so well either while parked or with the pedel to the metal.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

Anyone who doubts Crown's ability to play on the move hasn't watched 2012

• Like 4