Carolina Crown 2015

mboogey73,

It is now safe to say now that Crown administration seems to have little interest in building a competitive percussion line. The battery seems to be filler as long as the brass and guard can carry the corps into medal contention. Now, before all the homer, blind loyalists, or other start giving me a lot of grief, Crown's percussion has not contributed to their overall placement in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and now 2015.

At this point would hosing the percussion parts help? Or would the loss of content points hurt more

A fire hose wouldn't help. They were dirty in easy parts too. Nothing blatant but so much fuzz. Most rolls fat, many bad attacks etc.

• Like 1

mboogey73,

It is now safe to say now that Crown administration seems to have little interest in building a competitive percussion line. The battery seems to be filler as long as the brass and guard can carry the corps into medal contention. Now, before all the homer, blind loyalists, or other start giving me a lot of grief, Crown's percussion has not contributed to their overall placement in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and now 2015.

Yes. going out and securing Tom Angst is a sure sign they are "uninterested" in building a top line

Top SIX in the world is "competitive" btw

The top few lines have the best staff, best techs, and frankly the best players

Crown this year secured a great caption head, and a few very talented new members followed him

The battery is improved

Going forward - assuming they keep the staff - I'm sure they'll further build the program around the percussion program as it improves -- right now after the opening the battery is mostly used to support the horn line musically. If it continues to mature they will balance their approach - these guys know what they're doing

anyway - sorry for ranting - I just really disagreed with your conclusions. IMO they've turned a corner this year

• Like 2

Yes. going out and securing Tom Angst is a sure sign they are "uninterested" in building a top line

Top SIX in the world is "competitive" btw

The top few lines have the best staff, best techs, and frankly the best players

Crown this year secured a great caption head, and a few very talented new members followed him

The battery is improved

Going forward - assuming they keep the staff - I'm sure they'll further build the program around the percussion program as it improves -- right now after the opening the battery is mostly used to support the horn line musically. If it continues to mature they will balance their approach - these guys know what they're doing

anyway - sorry for ranting - I just really disagreed with your conclusions. IMO they've turned a corner this year

Agreed. Percussion is one of the toughest captions in my opinion. A different corps has won almost every single year. Being in the top 5 or 6 in this caption is definitely not bad. Not great either. Crown will be fine, they have a bright future ahead with Aungst.

mboogey73,

Disagree. I think they made good staff changes but percussion programs take years to build.

So, Crown hasn't been building since 2010, Tobias? It did not take years for SCV to rebuild when Rennick came on staff it seems to me.

George, sarcasm is generally a response for a perspective of truth one cannot handle.

I'm just sharing what the historical data suggests.

So, Crown hasn't been building since 2010, Tobias? It did not take years for SCV to rebuild when Rennick came on staff it seems to me.

George, sarcasm is generally a response for a perspective of truth one cannot handle.

And I'm just sharing an inside view. I get the data. They'll finish fifth this year.

But the program IS improved

Drum programs don't usually turn around or build in a year - but they CAN if the instructor brings his entire team and a slew of his winter players with them (ala the SCV Rennick example) - his same groups that followed him to Regiment moved with him to SCV - which is why the drastic fall off in one program and the rise of the other in one season

Angst wasn't caption heading a contending drum line in DCI the prior season - unlike Rennick - but he has the goods and will deliver. As he did for Cadets for many seasons, including a couple drum titles

Without getting too specific the snare line is improved, the tenors and bass drums are a mix of skill sets - all very solid, but some on that next level and some very young. Just check out their bass line and see how young some of those guys are...

The pit program is also a growing work in progress

By next season if they keep the guys together I'd imagine Crown would be more so a "top 4" drum program, but there is still another gap between that and rivaling the Cadets/SCV situation or even BD most years

It will come

Patience isn't warranted if they were still doing the same thing with the same Caption guys - they aren't

I say have faith and give it 3 years

Crown could end up with a top 3 brass line, a top 3 guard AND a top 3 drum program -- and yikes - that's when you start ticking off championships every other or every third year

JMO

• Like 1

Agreed. Percussion is one of the toughest captions in my opinion. A different corps has won almost every single year. Being in the top 5 or 6 in this caption is definitely not bad. Not great either. Crown will be fine, they have a bright future ahead with Aungst.

People forget it took about six years for the brass program to rise, and pretty similar for the guard. Crown is obviously intent of making all 3 captions top quality, and I think they'll get there

It will impact staging and arrangement next season, so they should select music and design the drill accordingly IMO

They have been. It just seems like brass people go to Crown and percussion people go to Cadets, BD, SCV or Bloo.

People forget it took about six years for the brass program to rise, and pretty similar for the guard. Crown is obviously intent of making all 3 captions top quality, and I think they'll get there

It will impact staging and arrangement next season, so they should select music and design the drill accordingly IMO

I think Crown was 4-5 in guard last year but agree with your point,