Rules Congress

I just found out about this.

So - we're seeing this extolled as change, and as we are so often told, 'change is good' - but in the grand scheme of things, this isn't change at all. This is about making things the same - as DCI. No variations. All vanilla.

I think DCA may have misread their fanbase on this one. We'll see.

they didn't misread the future of their performers and fanbase. because staying as it was, we just see the old fan base die off

True!,..............I really liked Oregon Crusaders, electric violin and all,................

that is one of my top 5 DCi shows last year.

True! I really liked Oregon Crusaders, electric violin and all.

I preferred their 2013 show (and their 2012 show in DCI Open Class), but my dislike was less about the violin than the prerecorded narration, which didn't really work any better with James Earl Jones (or the last-minute replacement) than it had for Raiders with John de Lancie (Q from Star Trek) on the same poem the year before. If you're going to have a narrator, especially one whose voice is so important to the show, have a live one like the Cadets did in 2014--or like the singer that Oregon themselves used in 2013. Otherwise why not just have Al Chez record your trumpet solos while you're at it?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I preferred their 2013 show (and their 2012 show in DCI Open Class), but my dislike was less about the violin than the prerecorded narration, which didn't really work any better with James Earl Jones (or the last-minute replacement) than it had for Raiders with John de Lancie (Q from Star Trek) on the same poem the year before. If you're going to have a narrator, especially one whose voice is so important to the show, have a live one like the Cadets did in 2014--or like the singer that Oregon themselves used in 2013. Otherwise why not just have Al Chez record your trumpet solos while you're at it?

I agree with you about the voice-over, though I do think Mandarins hit a home run with George Takei's voice a few years ago. As for Oregon's use of the violin, I thought it was absolutely *brilliant* in terms of design and choice of voicing, and the performance by the young lady was really exquisite.

I read how people were going to walk out of DCA shows due to pit amplification. Never saw anyone do it.

Some people are much bigger with their writing than with their actions from what I have observed.

• Like 2

No controversy? You missed the last few years on DCP?

DCP, in the grand scheme of things, means absolutely nothing. At shows, where the actual amplification was used, there was no controversy at all. None. Zip. Nada. Heck, I'd venture to say the overwhelming majority of crowds didn't even notice it was used. Now this year it will be a lot more obvious, but I suspect most corps that use electronic instruments and efffects will do so responsibly and in a way that contributes to their show.

Will some people complain? Maybe. Will it matter? Not one iota. We'll probably hear more people at shows arguing over which corps should have won in 1986, or how badly the Muchachos were screwed over in '75 than we will complaints about electronics.

• Like 4